what is re-torqueing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is re-torqueing?

I just read the how to on taking the wheels off the car, and i ran into you guys talking about re-torqueing the wheels when you put them back on..what is re-torqueing, how is it done? and how do you know when its at 100? or whatever it needs to be..

i know this is prolly a stupid question but im taking my wheels off tomorrow to paint my calipers, and i just wanted to make sure im doing everything correctly cuz ive never done this kinda stuff before.

Re: what is re-torqueing?

If I am not mistaken, retorqueing is simply making sure you tighten your lug nuts properly.

They sell a type of wrench called a... torque wrench!

It can either be set to a certain lbs. setting(such as 100lbs) and when you apply more, it will click. Theres a more simple one that just has increments on it...

or

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
    Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
    Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

ohh alright thank you, would the tool that they give you with the jack be able to do this?? cuz i was just gona use that to take the wheels off..

Comment

Yeah, that's what i used when I put my black lugs on. Just make sure there not cross threaded or you'll screw your studs up.

I don't see a reason to "ReTorque" your lugs. Just make sure there tight!

What color are you painting your calipers?

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
        Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
        Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

Alright sweet thank you!

and i am going to repaint them red!
          ill put pictures up tomorrow!

Comment

re torqueing is just a precaution, just incase you didn't clean the mounting surfaces before mounting the tire on, or not using the proper torquing technique when tightening down the tire. its always good to double check, don't want a tire to come flying off anyway.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3261905 My Ride

Mods: U/L Recessed Chrome Grilles, vent visor, LED 3rd brake lights. Wicked C.A.S enclosure, MTX Speakers, Pioneer 800watt amp, JL Audio 10w0v2-4 sub, pioneer 4100 deck. Crab 03/04,18" Core Racing rims with 245/45. Painted engine cover/battery box, HID 6000k Flasktech lows, GMPP Strut Bar, GMPP Performance exhaust, Painted Red Calipers,Flashtech 6000k fogs, Tinted Tails/windows, G6 Trunk lid
            Coming soon!: R8 Headlights, GM Ground Effects

Comment

Retorquing is supposed to be done after approximately 100 miles to ensure no lugs worked themselves loose.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I check mine every couple weeks. I know its not necessary but I do it as parts when im cleaning my car and what not
                87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
                90 Eagle Talon TSI
                09 G6 Progression(New Car)
                My Progression

Comment

As said, its just a precaution, I have changed hundreds of tires and never had any problems, just make sure to thread the lugs on by hand initially that way you can be sure they are not cross threaded.
                  2008 Pontiac G6 GXP -AIT Kit - Rear Tint - 18s - Coming Soon: Tinted Tails, GT-R,
                  2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
                  1982 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Comment

Alright, thanks alot guys. but we took off the wheel and decided that it was gona be too hard to paint the calipers with spray paint, so im saving this project for another weekend, when i get the paint brush caliper painting kit. but i have done some things to the car today, ill post pictures up later!

Comment

Also, the tire iron in that is used to change swap on your spare is NOT a torque wrench. It will do the job to tighten them up, but will not be an accurate measurement.
                      2006 Pontiac G6 GT with Panoroof

Comment

When I bought my wheels and tires after a day or two I just went to Belle Tire and they just checked them and actually I had like two that had came a little loose. So really any tire shop would do it for little to nothing if you want to be extra carefull.
                        Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
                        INDIAN WARRIORS
                        1926-2010

Comment

Working...
                        X