sway bars and strut bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sway bars and strut bars

im intrested in cutting down on the body roll on my g6. can anyone give me any info on these items. thanx.

A sway bar helps prevent body roll, and the strut bar helps to prevent suspension flex.

Hope I helped.

There is no aftermarket sway bars available for the G6.

There are 2 strut bars available. You can order the one that fits on the Malibu, but it has issues with hood clearance. The other one is available from RSM racing in Canada and it costs $300USD, so really isn't worth the money.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

From what I've noticed, the front of my car is pretty tight, it's the back that needs "tightened up." When I am on a cloverleaf ramp and there are bumps as you are turning to the right, the front bounces up/down and sticks, the rear goes over the bump and then jumps to the left. I wish the back was as solid as the front!!
      2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

Comment

This is not a specific tighten the back end...
        Do you have the stock wheels?
        Maybe a possible move up to 18"
        I installed a strut from the mailbu and got new wheels and now i can go it feels like depending on the ramp at least 5mph faster and not feel like i am going to roll of so as far as the back end new wheels?

also i waited a little over owning the car for a year and a half before even changing anything so i really new the cars handling well before i got the
        new wheels so i got a great "feel" of the diffrence.

while i am posting, on my vacation a couple weeks ago i was in geogia travling in the mountains going around corners and some where up hill, and if i took the corner fast i noticed my back wheels would slip out and my front gripped perfectly...not like i was loosing control just an observation if any one has had a similar experience?
        My Progress thread
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

well that would be oversteer, which ive never gotten my car to do. usually just understeer, although it is less now with my strut tower brace
          '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Thanks!
            I am learning more with every post
            you have the brace as well i had a question did you notice when you put it on that there is a slight bit of room for play in the cut out for the bolts.... does any one if that is normal for the strut bar or is there som kind of bushing that keeps it in place because i cant see what would prevent it from sliding back and forth as u turn wich would eventually mess up the threads on the bolt? (hope that came out like i what i was thinking)
            My Progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel
              Thanks!
              I am learning more with every post
              you have the brace as well i had a question did you notice when you put it on that there is a slight bit of room for play in the cut out for the bolts.... does any one if that is normal for the strut bar or is there som kind of bushing that keeps it in place because i cant see what would prevent it from sliding back and forth as u turn wich would eventually mess up the threads on the bolt? (hope that came out like i what i was thinking)
              The only way the STB would move, is if you didn't tighten down the bolts.
              2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
              Forge Motorsports BPV
              CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
              HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
              HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

There is very little flex to begin with, not including the strut bar. So you don't need to worry about it moving around Just make sure you don't tighten them down too much or you could strip the bolts, which they can easily.

Comment

yeah just tighten the bolts to what they felt like when they came off and you should be good to go. mine isnt moving.
                  '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Thanks for the help! i actually did the hand tight 1/4 turn on them all and seems to be working out fine just had that question....even though the bar isnt moving. Just a thought.
                    My Progress thread

Comment

OK everyone. I don't know why I'm the only person I've seen who's done this. Go get some wheel spacers from your parts store. The extra 1/4'' wider track makes a dramatic improvement with body roll. I still have a few more things to do because I want it to handle like my 2003 BMW 330CI did, but I'll keep everyone informed of how to do it. One more thing if you can order the sway bar from a GTP they are actually a little bigger than the others.
                      Ryan Romero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2439593/1

Comment

Originally posted by rpromero
                        OK everyone. I don't know why I'm the only person I've seen who's done this. Go get some wheel spacers from your parts store. The extra 1/4'' wider track makes a dramatic improvement with body roll. I still have a few more things to do because I want it to handle like my 2003 BMW 330CI did, but I'll keep everyone informed of how to do it. One more thing if you can order the sway bar from a GTP they are actually a little bigger than the others.
                        what brand wheels spacers did you use? or is it a custom setup? thanks
                        Originally posted by TLS2000
                        Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                        GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if we could get an answer from rpromero.

Comment

I would like to know what kind of spacers you used also. And how much? C'mon man spill it!! :smoke:

Comment

spacers = wider track, wider track in canadian winter is not so good for paint.
                              BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                              ^ The Man
                              v The Legend

Comment

Working...
                              X