A/C BLEW UP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C BLEW UP!!!

Wow - only 1 person on this forum warned me about this. Too bad I didn't get it checked BEFORE it blew out!!! I had my intake installed about a month or so ago, but have put about 5,000 miles on the car since installation. Seems it took that long for it to happen, and I can't believe my luck!!

The original intake box that gets removed apparently has a clip on it that holds the a/c piping off the belt to the right of it. When that was removed for the aftermarket intake, so was the clip. I kept hearing this ugly noise, which I posted earlier wondering what it could be, and I thought it was the intake banging around, needing to be tightened to the frame or something. But it wasn't... Someone else told me to check the a/c piping, but I dragged ass about it, and this is where I'm at!

Without that clip, the A/C piping has been rubbing against the belt, until finally it blew out the a/c & the belt. It burned a 4" hole in the piping and shredded the side of the belt. There's freon & rubber particles all over the place. The entire piece of piping needs replaced, and the belt. The dealer quoted me $470 in parts - unknown how much labor will actually be.

I'm very sad... This sucks! I get my car back Monday. So - for anyone who installed this intake (stage 3), CHECK YOUR A/C PIPING or YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Wow... sorry to hear that! I had to tie mine off and pull them away from the belt and pully as well, because thats the noise I was hearing when turning hard and flooring the car! Now that I made sure they were out of the way, I'm golden with not a problem!

Don't let this thread deter you from getting a stage 3 intake though people, as long as you make sure everything is out of the way of the belts and pully you will be okay, there are alot of us who have them with out any problems!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Ouch, that's not good. Sorry that happened to you, I wonder if all that have the kit did something about theirs.

Comment

i just put mine in last night so i will check it when i go out there this morning. good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

oh boy thanks for the warning. I have mine on the way. Keep us updated on the status.
          2006 G6 GT- Custom Dual Exhuast. Red Line Quicklifts. Debadged. Dr. Speed CAI Stage 3.Arrowhead hoodliner.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, good luck with it
            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
            Gotta have it Green color
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack
            GT500 track pack differential cover
            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I used a boot band to keep mine off the belt.
              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

anybody have any pics? I've heard about this too and looked at mine, but the pipe is no where near any belt.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I just checked my G6. I have a modified Injen intake. The drivers side mount broke off and I had it welded. Made a strap out of 1/6" x 1/2" wide aluminum and mounted it to black plastic shield above the rad. My A/C pipe isn't close to the pulley's.
                  However, I do have one of the idler pulleys mking a noise. It's the fixed one. Will take it in sometime next week to replace that.
                  Oh, I'm using the Injen as a short ram now.
                  G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                  Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                  Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                  20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I'll post pics tomorrow; when I stop by the dealer, I'll make sure I have my camera. If you look from the front center of the car, the only tell-tale sign that would've forewarned me was a little bit of black gunk stuck onto the piping directly beside the belt. The hole is worn on the side of the pipe, so unles you're looking for it, you won't see it.

No - I don't dare say don't get the intake.... DEFINATELY get it!!! It's worth it as long as you check everything and make sure your i's are dotted and t's crossed. But I did definately want to let others know to be aware & prepared!!

Life sucks sometimes, but I've blown more money on that on replacing stereo equipment every time I trade... Rewiring 3 bose systems in 1 year could've fixed this twice!! :warped: Live and learn... Anyhoo - I just can't wait to get my car back.

I think when I get it back, I'm going to get that GT-R exhaust I've been hearing so much about... :smoke: hee hee...

Comment

thanks for the heads up i just went & zip tied mine so it can touch it
                      My Best 1/4mile time 14.94 auto gtp

Comment

Mine was rubbing on the pulley (red circle) so I zip tied it (blue circle):

Comment

wow that is really close, even with the ziptie there! Mine is no where near the belt.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

From what I can remember this problem sounds like it only happens on eht 3.9L. Anyone with a 3.5 have this problem? I've already secured my A/C line with an adjustible mount so I don't have this problem. But it might be good info to find out if it's the engine size that's the culprit.
                            2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

I had the problem with the 3.5 until I used zipties as well.
                              -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X