GTR or Tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTR or Tune?

So since spring is bringing nicer weather to MI and I have some money to blow the only choice I have is to pour money into my car. I have researched both the GTR exhaust and a Tune from Chris. I want both but dont have the money for both right now. What do you guys think I should buy first to get the sh!+ eatin grin back on my face and the girls looking when I'm driving?

Thanks for your opinions in advanced!!!
    Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
    INDIAN WARRIORS
    1926-2010

Re: GTR or Tune?

Unless you plan on getting the GTR soon after the tune, I'd would do GTR first.

Comment

yea go with the GTR

when Chris tunes the ECM, he takes into account the fact that you have the GT-R and adjusts parameters accordingly.

If you tune, then GT-R, it wouldn't be adjusted to its highest potential

My progression thread
      Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
      Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
      In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
      Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
      Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

+1 The GTR gives you performance but it also sounds sweet, you wont be dissapointed.
        2006 Black g6 Gtp, MODS: Dr speed stage-3, Gt-r exhaust, 93 Octane VMS Tune, Dxr Black 18'' Rims, Razzi Body Kit,
        Red interior lights, Alpine 2 DIN Head Unit, Boston Speakers, 2 12'' Alpine type-r in a custom ported box, front side 30% tint back and rear 10% tint. EBC rotors, Redstuff Pads, Black Recessed Grills

Comment

logically you should do the exhaust before a tune. you will need to make your car breathe better before you can see gains from a tune.

personally i am because i STILL have not heard one in person yet.

Comment

Anyone know how much shipping a GTR to MI would cost?

Comment

Chris said that getting the exhaust after the tune doesn't really matter. That being said, I'd say get the tune. It's more fun.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Id say go with the GT-R get the more expensive stuff out of the way....I have the GT-R and i love it!!
                A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
                Originally posted by 08blackgt
                hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

My understanding (I am no expert, just going by what I read here) is that the GTR will give you a better sound but the tune will net you a bigger performance jump.

Look, sound, some performance, more money = GTR + GTP valence
                  More performance, less money, less "flash" = tune

If it were me I would do the tune first since you already have the intake done. I'm pretty sure Chris said intake was the only real variable they needed to know about when sending you your tune. But either one is probably going to make you happy so it's a win-win and a pretty good problem to have
                  Planned mods:
                  HSRK, motor mounts, tinted tail lights, ECM/TCM/whatever tune, hood struts, HIDs, white and blue gauge cluster and CD/menu screen LED swap, GTP rear valance, GXP front bumper, GT-R exhaust
                  Finished/in-progress:
                  2/8/09 - removed intake resonator | 3/21/09 - installed Injen clone stage 4 CAI
                  3/23/09 - 30% tint w/eyebrow
                  12/2014 - 2008 stereo install (for aux in)

Comment

Yea, I'd say go with the GT-R. I waited a year and a half to get mine, and man, I should have done it sooner. Tune is nice, but with the summer coming, and the windows down, you'll appreciate the GT-R so much more. Plus the girls ain't gonna hear a tune .
                    Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.
                    Originally posted by schenko
                    If I could have a woody, I would.

Comment

site/sound and know it is there all the time= gtr
                      better gains=tune

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                        site/sound and know it is there all the time= gtr
                        better gains=tune

Comment

get the gt-r exhaust first. then get a tune after that. or get a dyno tune locally.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                          TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                          Show
                          -20% tint
                          -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                          -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Thanks for everyones input!!! I got a price from GT-R of $693.53 with shipping. The valance is $155.60 from GMpartsdirtect.com. If somebody knows where I can get one cheaper please let me know.
                            Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
                            INDIAN WARRIORS
                            1926-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone86
                              Thanks for everyones input!!! I got a price from GT-R of $693.53 with shipping. The valance is $155.60 from GMpartsdirtect.com. If somebody knows where I can get one cheaper please let me know.
                              try GMparthouse and there is another one someone recently said. oh yeah rockauto.com is one too.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                              Show
                              -20% tint
                              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Working...
                              X