Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate DEX-COOL Coolant Thread

Hey guys,

I just bought a brand new G6 GT Coupe and thought I would start this thread regarding the notorious GM coolant "DEX-COOL". Dex-Cool is a silicate-free, orange coolant designed by GM to last 5 years or 150,000 miles. It's a great advancement in engine and coolant technology; however, the early engines that used this coolant developed problems with their gaskets, pumps, radiators, etc due to various reasons and led to a huge class-action lawsuit that was settled last summer 2008. After doing some research, I've boiled the problems down to these few bullet points:

A) The gaskets were made of a plastic material that was incompatible with Dex-Cool. I am not sure if GM has changed the material with which they build their gaskets; if not, this problem might persist on new engines.
    B) In extreme weather areas, Dex-Cool degraded faster than the recommended 5 years/150,000 miles, causing early corrosion and water pump and gasket failures.
    C) For some reason, certain engines ran low on coolant without having obvious leaks (can't figure out why). In those cases, if the drivers did not top off the system (because they never checked it, out of trust in the extended life of the coolant), their gasket and water pump seals blew due to overheating.
    D) Dex-Cool is incompatible with other coolants. Engines that got exposed to a mix of different coolants (e.g. flushed dex-cool and filled with green coolant) developed sludge and early corrosion; that is because the flushing procedure was not thorough and residues of old coolant remained in the engine. Needless to say, if you mixed different coolants out right, you were toast.

I'm sure there are other reasons for the controversy surrounding Dex-Cool but I'm just going to ask a few questions for the future in hopes of getting some help from the experts around here. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and don't want to have to sell it at 100K miles! (I kept my Grand AM for 13 years but sold it at 100K miles out of fear of these problems)

1) Has GM changed the gasket materials to be compatible with Dex-Cool?
    2) Has anyone used the Voltmeter test (http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/dexcool/) or a Refractometer to measure the state of the coolant?
    3) My most important question: flushing and filling the system:
    a) Regardless of the tests in 2) above, I plan on changing the coolant every 2 years; will it void my warranty?
    b) My goal is to thoroughly flush the old coolant out and run distilled water 2-3 times in the system until it comes out clear; then add pure Dex-Cool to the residual distilled water until I get a 50/50 mix; then top off with pre-mixed 50/50 Prestone Dex-Cool. I know that no dealer will put up with this shit so I plan on taking it to my friend who is a mechanic. My question is: how can he run distilled water in the system until it clears out all old coolant??

Re: The Ultimate DEX-COOL Coolant Thread

I honestly hate dex-cool! Before my 6er I had a grand am that used it. Within a year the coolant looked like sludge but i wasn't mixing fluids. I did have the gasket failure as well as a result. From what i heard the newer cars are using new gaskets to prevent this from happening again.

1. From what i had heard YES they did change the gasket types from the problematic engines.

3a. No... changing your coolant will not void your warranty i had my changed out before the warranty was up and it never caused an issue. If you have a problem with the coolant system though and you now have green versus the dexcool they may question the repairs and warranty then.
    3b. if your friend is a mechanic he should know how to flush a coolant system.

Comment

Originally posted by grfnkl
      3b. if your friend is a mechanic he should know how to flush a coolant system.
      He probably does... but I wanted to know how, so I can supervise properly....

Comment

Dex cool problems are pretty much a non issue now since they figured out what went wrong and the problems have since been correced

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
          Dex cool problems are pretty much a non issue now since they figured out what went wrong and the problems have since been correced

I have heard the same...

that being said... dexcool was the ultimate reason for the death of my 2k camaro.
          2007 Dark Gray Metallic G6 Sedan 3.5L v6 A4
          Former cars... '85 Camaro, '94 Camaro, '00 Camaro, '92 Mustang GT

Comment

I had heard of the Dexcool nightmare particularly on the 4.3L Vortec engines.

We have a 2003 S-10 w/ the 2.2L engine and I have kept a close eye on the fluid, making sure to keep the resevoir topped up.
            I recently went to flush the S-10 and drained the radiator, the Dexcool looked brand new. Absolutely clear and no sediment. Looking at the radiator core, it looked brand new also, no deposits.

So I did not install the Prestone flush kit, added water, ran it, let it cool and drained again. I then added full strength Dexcool to get it back to a normal level. I like to go a bit stronger than 50:50 for added protection.

If you wish to get away from Dexcool, Prestone make an extended life antifreeze that will mix with Dexcool with no issues. So if you don't remove everything with a flush, no problems.
            Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X