How To: Paint Stock G6 GTP Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Paint Stock G6 GTP Rims

K so I looked everywhere to see who has painted the stock rims on a 2006 G6 GTP. I am thinking about painting mine a smokey gray color. Does anyone have a how to on this, or can help me out by making one?

A friend of mine has done this on other cars, and he is saying to take the wheels off of the car, get a deck of cards to put between the wheel and tires to protect the tires and just paint away. No offense to my friend, but does this seem like a good idea? Can someone shed some light onto this subject?

Suggestions of colors would be nice too. My car is silver as you can see from my picture. Thanks guys!!
    QuickG6Guy

Mods: 5% Tint - K&N CAI - GT-R Exhaust with 3" Tips - 18" Drag DR Wheels - HID Headlights - HID Fog Lights - White LED Map and Dome Lights - White LED Reverse Lights - White Gauge Face - Blue LED Trunk Light

Future Mods: Halo Projector Headlights - AIT Front Bumer - Vector 91 ECM/TCM tune - Underbody Glow - 10" Sub and Amp
    Possible Mods: Lowering Kit - Full Crab Intake

Re: How To: Paint Stock G6 GTP Rims

clean

sand kinda rough (320)

sand kinda smooth after (near 600)

clean again

prime (sand after this if any imperfections, and of course clean)

paint in light coats (fume on the paint, so it doesnt run)

clear coat

YOUR DONE!!

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
    PSN: racin247
    Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

you forgot something there....

patience! lol
      just follow any "painting" how to really
      and just take your time and dont rush between coats

My progression thread
      Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
      Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
      In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
      Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
      Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er
        clean

sand kinda rough (320)

sand kinda smooth after (near 600)

clean again

prime (sand after this if any imperfections, and of course clean)

paint in light coats (fume on the paint, so it doesnt run)

clear coat

YOUR DONE!!
        Sounds right to me. I wouldve thought sanding and priming, but I wasnt sure if you would want to do that on rims. How many coats do you think is enough? Just to what I see looks good?
        QuickG6Guy

Mods: 5% Tint - K&N CAI - GT-R Exhaust with 3" Tips - 18" Drag DR Wheels - HID Headlights - HID Fog Lights - White LED Map and Dome Lights - White LED Reverse Lights - White Gauge Face - Blue LED Trunk Light

Future Mods: Halo Projector Headlights - AIT Front Bumer - Vector 91 ECM/TCM tune - Underbody Glow - 10" Sub and Amp

Comment

Originally posted by bigs4610

patience! lol
          Ugh i know! Patience is a virtue.. and something I lack. Im sure you know what it was like to be a noob
          QuickG6Guy

Comment

good question, cuz i was thinking about doing my rims like newbies. but i would like to know if anyone has taken the painted GTP rims and made them polished look?

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
            Originally posted by ahuhn
            so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

patience! lol
              trueeeeee patience!! i normally want to get it done quickly...but you need to let each coat settle and get almost non tacky...

right now, i am re-coating my side skirts (stock ones) as i painted them last year silver to match the car, but from going through the car wash, it gets a bit dull, and where the plastic skirts meet the body of the car, chips a lil, but you can't normally see them from just looking at the car.

SO!! what i do, is paint a coat, play COD5, 2 matches up, paint another coat

came out great...waiting for my clear coat to dry

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
                good question, cuz i was thinking about doing my rims like newbies. but i would like to know if anyone has taken the painted GTP rims and made them polished look?
                copier.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                Show
                -20% tint
                -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                -Professionally heated seats

Comment

yup, i was actually thinking of painting the whole rim to match the car but i love the way newbie did it. but mine will be granite metallic with polished spokes

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                  Originally posted by ahuhn
                  so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Do you think this would be possible on the stock GXP rims? My avatar is a picture of a stock GXP rim. It's the ones with the plastic chrome cladding on a steel wheel. Could I sand the chromed plastic part and successfully paint it?

Comment

Originally posted by jessebkr87
                      Do you think this would be possible on the stock GXP rims? My avatar is a picture of a stock GXP rim. It's the ones with the plastic chrome cladding on a steel wheel. Could I sand the chromed plastic part and successfully paint it?
                      You might be able to sand it. I used 320 grit on mine. Not sure what you'd use on chrome though.
                      QuickG6Guy

Comment

on chrome you would want something more fine i think...because of surface porosity..its less, and less microscopic indents and so on, so the finer paper would be suitable i think, but make sure to use a wet/dry paper and use alot of wter when you do it, so it doesnt scratch into the chrome with noticeable marks....you want a uniform crazed surface for the paint to grab

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er

SO!! what i do, is paint a coat, play COD5, 2 matches up, paint another coat
                          This sounds like what ill be doing when i paint my rims. It worked when i did my tails
                          My Progress thread
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...282#post429282

Comment

we need to add. insert playing cards accordingly between edge of rim and tire if tires are mounted.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                            TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                            Show
                            -20% tint
                            -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                            -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Originally posted by leong6gtp
                              we need to add. insert playing cards accordingly between edge of rim and tire if tires are mounted.
                              Haha oh thats right! I am living proof that this works haha. Its faster and easier.

QuickG6Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X