My Shifter Won't Let Me Drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Shifter Won't Let Me Drive!

Okay, this problem sucks... and seems to baffle the folks at the dealership.

I get into the car, turn the key and the engine turns over no problem (most of the time... but that's an unrelated issue). I put my foot on the brake and attempt to move the car out of park, and that's when the problems start. As soon as I put my hand on the shifter, I feel the peddle vibrate (like it's having an ABS shock), and the button on the shifter locks and won't let me move it out of park.

I can turn the car off, then on, then off, then on, and nothing changes. I usually then have to walk away for a few minutes, and just when I come back to call "Roadside" about 10 minutes later, it then works.

I think it may have something to do with it being really hot outside, but that seems like a stupid reason for not being able to drive. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Help... please!

That is weird! Sounds like an issue between the brake in the shifter. Im guessing these cars have it, i know the girls trailblazer has that - you have to have the break peddle pushed in to take the shifter out of park.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

My brother had a similar issue like that, but it was just when it was really cold out. Turns out when he got some prior work done on the car they spilled some fluid on the shift link cable, and it was freezing it up so he couldn't move it out of park. Although I doubt the same is happening to you, but I'd try taking it somewhere else to get a different opinion on it.

Comment

Working...
      X