Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisturizure/Lube for Sunroof/Door weatherstripping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisturizure/Lube for Sunroof/Door weatherstripping?

So summer is quickly approaching and I want to moisturize the seal on my sunroof and the weatherstripping on my doors, what should I use?

I'd also like to know something to make sure my sunroof is well lubed so it doesn't stick or anything after the long cold winter we've had. Where should I apply it for the best application as well?

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
    Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Re: Moisturizure/Lube for Sunroof/Door weatherstripping?

the word choice of lube and moisturizer seems so appropriate given your avatar...

2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
      90 Eagle Talon TSI
      09 G6 Progression(New Car)
      My Progression

Comment

i know on the verts for an "itching" noise the say to use Dielectric grease. they also say it can be used to condition weather striping

and as for the sunroof i was actually PMing another member about what to use today. i personaly have seen sunroofs where over time the lube has broken down and gotten dirty adn actually wouldnt llow the sunroof to move. ive herd wd40 should work well just make sure to apply it every now and then. that or clean the tracks well and use a graphite lube

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
          i know on the verts for an "itching" noise the say to use Dielectric grease. they also say it can be used to condition weather striping
          and as for the sunroof i was actually PMing another member about what to use today. i personaly have seen sunroofs where over time the lube has broken down and gotten dirty adn actually wouldnt llow the sunroof to move. ive herd wd40 should work well just make sure to apply it every now and then. that or clean the tracks well and use a graphite lube
          What do you guys do at the dealership for sunroof maint? I just want to make sure it doesn't dry out and crack and cause leaks, or stop functioning or something along those lines.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
          Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

ive never done anything to"maintain" a sunroof. i dont know what anyone else does for that. i couldnt even find any GM recomendations

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I've learned WD-40 is NOT primarily a lubricant, it's a actually more of a cleaner/degreaser.

I've recently become a die hard fan of white lithium grease. That stuff is fantabulous.

In regards to what to use, you can request a free sample of the magna-g lube, that'll prolly do it! :lolp
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I was wondering the same thing myself, only for the Pano roof. I have opened it all ready on the couple of nice days we had, but when I close it, it dont sound healthy. Tracks dont look as "greasy" either.

Suggestions that differ from those previously mentioned?

AJ
                De-Badged, Tinted Tails 3rd Brake Light
                Custom Painted Interior, Engine/Battery Covers
                Custom Intake, Racingline MM, Black Upper Grills
                My next mod: Figuring out how to turn my 6 into a place to live since ill be homeless come Feb

Comment

im gonna ask around tommorow

Comment

I apply silicone grease to the weatherstriping to help prevent them from drying out over time.

Comment

Silicon emulsion. You can get it at the dealer.

(it's in the manual, BTW)

Comment

Hahahaha, me and andy were just talking abot this the other day. I have to clean my sunroof tracks due to a sand contamination. When i do i will use graphite to lube my rails. Its non greasy and andy is right, stay away from greasy, it collects dirt over time.

Comment

When lubing weatherstrip you must remember that:
                          petroleum products will eventually rot/swell the rubber, damaging all rubber and plastic surfaces (like our sunroof tracks and guides)
                          not to over apply. Doing so, will actually worsen the situation as the excess of grease will attract dust and create a gritty substance that will wear the surfaces more.

Dont put new and fresh grease over the old one, clean, dry and re-grease

Dont use WD-40 alone, hell, dont even use it... it will remove the grease and give you a false sensation of lubrication (no dirty minds here LOL)
                          Silicone spray and silicone grease, I use dielectric grease on the sunroof tracks, silicone spray on all the weatherstrips and silicone oil on the sunroof seal. After cleaning thoroughly with soapy water and a damp cloth.

Comment

If your working on your car. Vaseline.
                            If your working on your women. KY.

...and in both cases don't over apply.
                            I tried to think of something witty, but stopped.

Comment

talked to a guy today and he told me dielectric grease works well in the sunroof tracks.

he also told me there theres a grease for the SRX pano sunroof thats apparently pretty good. ill ahve to look for the mname of that stuff in a bit

Comment

Working...
                              X