Paint Protection Undercoating and Rust Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Protection Undercoating and Rust Protection

I'm posting a question for a friend who just purchased a new Jeep. The stealership recommended that he get Paint Protection, Rust Protection, and Undercoating.

What exactly does each one of those do? I mean are they really necessary and do they really help? Are they worth it (the dealership is charging him around $1000 for all three)? Is this a rip off? Should he do it, but just find a better deal anywhere besides the dealership?

Thanks.

G
    Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic; ASA JH9 19' on Michelin PS2 (225/40/19); Red Caliper Paint by Duplicolor; Partial debadge; Lumar Tint 30/20; Eibach Springs; Razzi Ground Effects; GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, VMS PCM Tune, MPD Hood
    Upcoming Mods: Stage 4

Re: Paint Protection Undercoating and Rust Protection

Undercoating is really nice for any car IMO
    the good stuff, is similar to the product that they use in spray in bed liners

protects from the elements

paint protection is probably something for off roading. if hes going thru trees and stuff, maybe it would protect from scratches and chips.

as far as rust protection, i mean ive seen cars that didnt get "rust protection" and the paint has lasted forever, and Ive seen some that look like crap 2 years later too

IMO it all depends on what he plans to use it for. If he's going to go off-road with it, it would be nice to have all 3

but I'd be a little skeptical, ask them what they use, how they plan to "undercoat" it. There are crappy products out there

My progression thread
    Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
    Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
    In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
    Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
    Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

Re: Paint Protection Undercoating and Rust Protect

he didn't get the patriot did he?

it's the biggest POS i've ever been inside of.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

The compass is a LOT worse than the patriot. IMO.

I'm not sure what the paint and rust protection is, or how it's done, but i've heard from some people that it's a complete waste of money. Not sure how true that is, but I've looked at it this way..

Rust will happen no matter what you do to the car, IF the paint (or whatever "protection" is on the metal) comes off and exposes the metal to oxygen. It speeds up if moisture is introduced. If the paint is well maintained (washed and occasionally waxed) then it should last a long time without rusting. (just my experience)

Paint protection is an unknown to me. What could it be for roughly $333? (if all 3 are equal in cost at $1000 total)

Undercoating is good. Just like bigs said, the stuff that's like the truck bed liner is the best stuff I know of.

It's all personal preference as to whether or not it's worth the cost. Let others chime in with what they know to see if he's made a good choice.

By the way, did he get all 3 or not?

Comment

No, not a Patriot. It's a liberty trail rated. He hasn't got any of the three yet. He asked me opinion before dropping a grand. I didn't know, so I thought I would ask you guys.

How much should it cost to get this done? Does $1000 sound like too much?

G
          Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic; ASA JH9 19' on Michelin PS2 (225/40/19); Red Caliper Paint by Duplicolor; Partial debadge; Lumar Tint 30/20; Eibach Springs; Razzi Ground Effects; GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, VMS PCM Tune, MPD Hood
          Upcoming Mods: Stage 4

Comment

Honestly, I THINK that's what I was quoted when I bought my 6 4 years ago. So probably a little high since it's a stealership, but not excessive. And I passed on all three. Nothing wrong with mine yet, except normal wear (rock chips and stuff up front).

Comment

i just got the undercoating on my G8 but passed on the paint protection. my mom got it on her black f150 and it did hardly anything for her. the rust proofing crap just gooped up the doors....most likely applier error but i know my parents werent happy with the paint protection and the rust proofing
              MTX TC-6001 Amp
              2 12" Kicker Competitions

Comment

Working...
              X