Anyone painted the factory Skirting/Valence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone painted the factory Skirting/Valence

I don't like having flat black skirting next to glossy black paint. So, I want to paint the rear valence and side skirts and was wondering what paint to use.

Since I have a glossy black car I was thinking about using some glossy balck Krylon for plastics and then clear coating it. Any comments?
    How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Update

I put on 4 coats of Gloss Black Krilon onto the front air dam as a test piece. I have to say the black has little luster so far. I have not done the clear coats yet but I think another paint might be needed to have it more closely match the factory paint.

I will keep you updated.

What paint did others use to paint their side mirrors?

Comment

You could get duplicolour or some paint mixed up that matches your factory code.

Comment

i know someone has done this already, but even i don't feel like searching for it right now

maybe they will see this thread and post their pics.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
          i know someone has done this already, but even i don't feel like searching for it right now

maybe they will see this thread and post their pics.
          Prior to posting I searched extensively but found nothing.

Comment

I dont know who the white car is... I had it on my photobucket cuz I resized it.. IMHO if you want it right, rattle can is NOT the way to go... you'd want a body shop to do the work!!
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

The white car is mine.

http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
              2006 GT, GTP Ulra-Bright Wheels, GTP Exhaust, Painted dual lower valence, Middle mirrors, Bottom rocker panels, Red Calipers, GM Strut Bar, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, G6 all weather floor mats, Debadged, Chrome lower grill accents and Chrome shift knob
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645473

JUST ARRIVE: CRAB INTAKE!!!

Comment

^
                Thats the owner of the white car

Comment

actually you could make it work with a rattle can...er...many rattle cans. You just need to sand those pieces REALLY smooth. I know they're rough now, and just spraying them will not give you the glossy look that the rest of the car has. But if you sand them completely, you should be able to get a pretty good shine.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

dont cha think that by the time u buy all the rattle cans both clear and color, sand paper and time you could prolly pay someone at a body shop $100-150 to do them! Black is a common enough color that when they had a black job comming up they could toss them in as well, which could also make it a little cheaper on you possibly!!

Comment

Already thought about it and will be getting quotes tomorrow.

In the meantime, I can let you know that gloss-black Krylon and Duplicolor do not match exactly. Duplicolor is closest but no cigar.

Comment

But I like painting

Plus I'd have to drag the pieces back and forth while trying not to scratch them. I did that once with a Wings West bodykit, and it was not fun. My friend had to come with me because we couldn't fit everything in one trunk.
                        -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Yeah I'd say have a bodyshop do it, then you get an exact match with no trouble. Not sayin you can't do it yourself, just as long as you get matched paint you should be good. I guess it depends on your painting skill, I know if I did it I'd have the dealer do it and I'm good at painting imo.

Comment

Be sure to post up your quotes!

Thanks.
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I just feel like spraying a light coat of black on them to prevent stupid wax from leaving white marks all over them. Or at least it'll come off a lot easier with a coat of paint on there.
                              -Mike #1

Comment

Working...
                              X