How to: Take off radio face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Take off radio face

This is for the people that bought their radio from a totaled G6 and their buttons are sticking Also this could be for people who want to change/replace the lights in their radio whether the be burnt out or you want to make them a different color.

Difficulty is a 2 out of 10.

Step one: Remove the 4 (I think 5mm) bolts on the sides of the radio face. 2 on the left and 2 on the right.

Step two: While pulling on either the left or right side to come forward (off of the assembly) there are two clips on both sides that you will need to pry up with a slot blade screwdriver.

Step three: There are 5 silver mini bolts holding the PCB to the screen assembly. These will need to be removed (I used a pair of pliers to get them off)

Step four: pull apart the face assembly from the screen assembly. You will have two separate pieces now.

The face assembly with light diffusers and buttons:

The screen assembly (the red dots are in fact the LEDs. I THINK they are 3mm but they seem smaller. White LED with red dome.):

Reverse the steps to put it back together

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Re: How to: Take off radio face

nice how to.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Comment

vedy nice

My progression thread
      Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
      Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
      In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
      Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
      Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

Nicely Done!!
        2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

I'm going to order red 3mm LEDs (I only have 0603s on hand) and try to replace them and expand on the how to. Should be helpful with people that have burnt out/white bulbs in their radio

Comment

hey mike,
            ever figure out what size leds you need to swap them out?

My progression thread
            Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
            Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
            In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
            Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
            Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

I'm 99% sure that they're 3mm. I haven't gotten the chance to order any since money's been too tight to play around with.

Comment

i just ordered some blue LED's some we will see if i can make any progress should have them by the end of the week.

__________________________________________________ _________________
                Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's
                In Progress:: Katskinz... Half way there! Painted trim

Comment

awesome! then you can help expand to this how to. if you have any questions with soldering or if you burn a point just let me know and i'll help you out

Comment

well i ordered some 3mm leds and they are not the right ones i need to find out which ones i need and re-order them. If i can figure out what i am doing i will help extend this, I am working on replacing the display lights right now.

Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's

Comment

Originally posted by asquarecan
                      well i ordered some 3mm leds and they are not the right ones i need to find out which ones i need and re-order them. If i can figure out what i am doing i will help extend this, I am working on replacing the display lights right now.
                      Wait the displays would be something like 0603s or 1206s.

Comment

that's whats i thought, Brandon and I got confused and when i asked Brandon i think he thought i was talking about the buttons. I have them so i might as well change them out.

Out of curiosity where do you get your leds from?

Comment

I used to get them from china on eBay. You can't beat like 50 LEDs for $10 shipped LOL.

Comment

stupid question, but how do you know which wire is which?

Comment

Originally posted by asquarecan
                              stupid question, but how do you know which wire is which?
                              A volt meter. Are you talking about the physical led?

Comment

Working...
                              X