Remote Mount Turbo for 3.9s and 3.5s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Mount Turbo for 3.9s and 3.5s

Being that Vector Motorsports has "cracked" the PCM on our cars, why doesn't someone with a good bit of cash just laying around try and make a remote mount turbo setup similar to the STS Turbo System for F-Body Cars? I imagine that this would be considerably easier than a supercharger install because you wouldn't be trying to stuff everything under the hood, you'd be putting the junk underneath the trunk. Even with a small amount of boost the 3.9s would clear 300 HP easy. Other than the plumbing, you'd be looking at an intercooler, custom tune, bigger injectors, and the turbo itself. Hopefully, if someone did this, they wouldn't leave us automatics by the wayside... hint hint. Any thoughts?
    Black 2006 G6 GTP Coupe w/ Auto and an AEM Dryflow Filter to MAF Intake Setup. Best $53.70 I ever spent on a car! No re-oiling either... Also running Mobil1!

I don't buy that those work well... The lag has to be horrible? Besides that your air filter is under your car!?
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

there's plenty of room in the engine bay as well. With the airbox is out and a battery relocator kit, you'd have more than enough space.
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

So Kyle is this under development, in between hanging blinds and moving furniture of course!?

Comment

actually they have had tremendous success with them on F-bodys among other vehicles.

and i don't think an intercooler is required. i believe the length of the intake tube is sufficient for cooling the air charge unless you are running high PSI numbers.

this should help address the filter location concern

also this:

"With the turbo so far back, don't you get a lot of turbo lag?
          No, our turbochargers are sized to operate at this remote location. Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm.

If you were to take a conventional turbo and place it at the rear, you would have lots of lag and consequently, our turbo wouldn't work properly if mounted up front."

i read through most of the stuff on their site when i was considering boosting my truck, and obviously it is biased and needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but i think the system would work great. the turbo stays cooler beacuse it is not under the hood, the air passing through the turbine is cooler and denser because it is being downstream, the intake air charge gets cooled on the way back to the intake manifold, the oil going into and out of the turbo gets cooled along its travels.

if i had the money for forced induction i would definately look into it.

Comment

All that info is off their site... Need someone who has the product... And that shield is not going to do crap in snowy/rainy climate.

John

Comment

then search for info from people who have the product...i doubt anyone on here has one and people who drive other cars that do aren't going to sign up here just to post their remote mount experiences.

a guy put one on his 4.3 blazer and got over 50whp at just 4.5lbs of boost. i haven't heard any complaints about water....it would take a good deal of suction to pull water into the turbo. like i said, there are several F-body guys with them so you could try searching their forums too.

Comment

yea I read about these awhile ago. People had nothing but good things to say about them.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

ewww I want one
                  Originally posted by Nikki
                  You are an e-pimp.
                  Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                  I tried too, my penis way too big
                  07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                  My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                  The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

you definetly get lag with it, takes the exhaust longer to get to the turbo and takes the air longer to get to the intake. Is it that bad, no, but you do get lag. And they say you dont need an intercooler but w/e, is it that big of a deal to get an intercooler?

And us folks in the north who drive in the snow, forget about it IMO. Having a turbo and air filter that close to the ground in snow, no way. If you lived where it didnt snow I could see a remote turbo as a valid option. Otherwise you'd be better off making a custom setup under the hood IMO.
                    2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

i would imagine that building a remote system with an inherently lower boost threshold would offset whatever lag there is, but it is supposed to be about the same as a traditional intercooled system. it wouldn't even have to be much lower. and if i don't need an intercooler i wouldn't waste the money to get one, all it would do is add lag time anyway.

Comment

Another thing about water ingestion... with as long of a distance as it is from the rear of the car to the MAF in the engine compartment, plus an uphill battle before it got there, I can't see there being any problem with this setup... unless you enjoy brief trips in shallow ponds. How about some of the more technical aspects of this turbo project? Anyone know of bigger injectors that the G6 will readily accept or if a tune could truly be developed? We know that the turbos needed for this application exist (We learned this from the F-Bodies), it's just getting everything else together. Think of the sound of it... The Doctor Speed G6 Turbo Setup custom-tuned by Vector Motorsports. You know you'd want one!
                        Black 2006 G6 GTP Coupe w/ Auto and an AEM Dryflow Filter to MAF Intake Setup. Best $53.70 I ever spent on a car! No re-oiling either... Also running Mobil1!

Comment

i think they were more worried about sucking water into the turbo (which it has to pass through before it gets to the throttle body) and is only a foot or so away from the intake, not the engine.

Comment

Yeah, but the turbo shouldn't bog down unless it was submerged. Water on spinning blades doesn't usually do too much. I can't imagine this doing much more than atomizing whatever water got past the filter. I guess it depended on whether the bearings in the turbo could rust or not. If not, then no big deal.

Comment

thats the problem, there are several places around me that when it rains there are deep spots in the road. I saw all kinds of cars make it fine, but if they had the remote turbo they would stalled out. And once you get to that point you're SOL and cant start your car. And in the snow, I dont like the idea of dragging my turbo and air filter through it. Remote turbos IMO should only be used when there is absolutly NO ROOM up front in the engine bay for a turbo.
                              2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X