another exhaust question sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another exhaust question sorry

I have a 2006 base V6 sedan. I would like to get a custom exhaust put on it. I am going to buy the GTP dual cutout valence. I would like to have some suggestions on what all to tell the shop to do because im sure theyll ask. I want a deep sound with pretty decent performance. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

There are plenty of exhaust threads that you can search in the performance forum.
    There is a cat back system you can find on here, as well as several people who have gone out on their own and had their systems done. Take some time and read what others have done, and you'll have a pretty good idea where you can go with yours.

Edit:

Or....you can tell them you want 2 1/2" aluminized back from the y pipe, with a smaller resonator, going into a single in dual out Magnaflow with 4" stainless steel tips.
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I will be removing the resonator, installing a highflow cat inlieu of the OEM cat and installing a Magnaflow performance muffler. Pipe between the cat and the muffler will be either 2.25" or 2.5" and the tail pipes will be 2.5"
      You should be able to find other suggestions, opinions in this threadhttp://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3188 Also if you do a search you should be able to find items numbers for the fascia and prolly the type of mufflers used. And i know you should find alot more opinions on exhaust. Enjoy! :smoke:
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Best bet is to use one of the thread already going and search from there...

Those should answer your general questions...

Once you have a specific question post that...

Here is the GT-R exhaust: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1724

John

P.S. The search is your friend!
        Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Wow, exhaust system is the hot topic around these parts!
          2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
          Forge Motorsports BPV
          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
          HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

if i just remove the resonator, add a performance muffler and get the right pipes would that be good? or does a high flow cat do that much?

Comment

Originally posted by machomandan0207
              if i just remove the resonator, add a performance muffler and get the right pipes would that be good? or does a high flow cat do that much?
              Im only replacing the cat cause it was ordered in to the garage for another exhaust and wasnt used. So no, you do not have to replace the cat. You will notice a difference in sound either way. With normal replacement of exhaust systems with aftermarket cat-back systems you do not change the cat and we all know how good some of those systems are. :smoke:
              Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by machomandan0207
                I wouldn't mess with the cat since it's also under warranty. Obviously if you cut off your exhaust system at any place, that exhaust warranty is gone.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Forge Motorsports BPV
                  CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                  HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

As long as you replace the system with quality parts, it should last for the life of the car. Shoddy workmanship and cheap parts, will cause problems that the warranty won't cover.
                    Forge Motorsports BPV
                    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

Im not sure I would ever take a car in for exhaust warranty work? If something is bad and i can replace it with a good aftermarket piece, I would. Specially if upgrading would benefit performance wise. And being that my car is only a year or so old and im already ripping the exhaust off, i think my previous statements are already known I think the only thing i might consider (exhaust wise) taking in for replacement under warranty would be the 02 sensors, only cause they are so damn expensive (referring to my truck 02s) and even then with a cat-back sys they cant say crap w/exception to the one in the new highflow cat. But even then (by law)they have to prove it caused the damage to the sensor. Plus i am not sure of the emission laws where you live, but here in Pa your 02 sensors must be reading correctly (no check engine light on or codes thrown) to get your vehicle inspected. That is why i did not totally remove the cat. Highflow with 02sensor hole

Comment

alright i just got back from meineke. this is what they told me. from what i can tell it is basically the same thing kman did. they were taking off the resonator, adding 2.5" piping into a y bend pipe, using two once chamber flowmasters into two 3 inch tail pipes. with labor and tax the estimate came out to $815.46 which is a ton of money. am i better off going with the gtr system? or is meineke's quote a good deal?

Comment

Sounds like a rip off. Check out the GT-R.
                          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

i'd get the GT-R
                            -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                            Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

with the gt-r can you remove the resonator? or does that need to stay on? but it does sound like it is a better deal. anyone with a sound clip of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X