Need Help with Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Exhaust

I have a G6 GT. She was sandwiched a few weeks. THe insurance replaced the lower valance with the dual exhaust outlets. I then sent it to Meinke to have the muffler deleted and dual pipes run. I got it back yesterday and I LOVE the sound. I want it to be louder though. Its got to be the first time that I have ever driven with my radio off to hear the sound of the car. It sounds like a small v8. You can really hear it when I get on it. I had a suggestion of doing the maganaflow 4" resignator. But I'm curious if I just take it out and run straight pipes back. I noticed a major change in HP and Torque. What do ya think?
    2006 G6 GT- Custom Dual Exhuast. Red Line Quicklifts. Debadged. Dr. Speed CAI Stage 3.Arrowhead hoodliner.

Just take out the resonator and replace it with the MagnaFlow 4" round muffler(2.25" I/O). I really don't think you want it "Straight Pipe' loud. The sound with straight pipes all the way, will be raspy and obnoxious.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Wait you are running no muffler and still want it louder?
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

i took it as the stock resonator was still there
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

My opinion.... Pick up a good aftermarket muffler (Magnaflow) and get rid of the resonator.
          Hopefully what will be done to my 6er Gt on thurs...
          Replace cat with a Highflow cat, remove resonator, straight pipe back to my Magnaflow muffler, 2.5" duals out to tips. :smoke:
          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Simple and effective, I like your recipe!
            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

GTR cough cough
              Originally posted by Nikki
              You are an e-pimp.
              Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
              I tried too, my penis way too big
              07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
              My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
              The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

I think there may be one or two exhaust threads here.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

^^ yes, but im not sure that was what was being asked?
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

OKay heres what I have. It has the stock resignator. One pipe running back. They cut the muffler out and then welded in a y running two pipes to two Stainless Steel Pipes. It sounds amazing. I just want it louder. I noticed a huge amount of performance doing this. I"m gonna try and get some sound clips.
                    2006 G6 GT- Custom Dual Exhuast. Red Line Quicklifts. Debadged. Dr. Speed CAI Stage 3.Arrowhead hoodliner.

Comment

Originally posted by g6goddess
                      I noticed a huge amount of performance doing this.
                      That'd be the seat of your pants / I spent money to get something changed, so I know that it made a difference in performance meter.

Removing the muffler possibly could have hurt the performance of your vehicle if it reduced the back pressure on the exhaust.

sigpic
                      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

^^^ Having no resonator and no muffler will not make it sound good. I doubt if it will help it run better either. Might be able to get it to backfire that way though.
                        The one thing the resonator does and does well, is to muffle each cylinder as it fires. Remove that and it ends up with a sound that does not sound right. At least to me.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Okay, so with the vast majority I have decided to keep the exhaust just the way I originally had it done. Cut the muffler out had it Y piped and then out to tips.

I enjoyed my first cruise through town last night. I saw my first G6 Coupe and thought I would have some fun. He was stopped waiting to turn on an arrow and when I went by I rev'd WOoHoo I got my first looks. The true test was taking it to the hangout. Another G6er was there and was shocked when he heard my car. Loved the sound. I know I have been promising suond clips. Gonna get them tonight when I get home.

Also just ordered the Stage 3 intake. Hoping it will come in soon.

Comment

so you don't even have a muffler anymore?
                            -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                            Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Well i would definitely keep the resonator or the muffler. So if you ever decided to remove the resonator i would get a performance muffler. I would not run without the both of them. Yes the sound will be loud but very raspy and i dont know if you would like that. On my truck i am running no cat, no resonator and dual glass packs which isnt much of a muffler to begin with. You hear me when i come down the road , but that is my truck I dont mind it being raspy, i kinda like it on the truck, but that is not the same sound im lookin for the 6er. But the only person who needs to be happy with your exhaust is you, so do what you will be happy with, it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks. Looking forward to hearring sound bitez :smoke:

Comment

Working...
                              X