Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005-2006 MY Recall for Corroded Connector

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/14/2009 ... zda6-town/

Trying to find an official website to see details.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Re: 2005-2006 MY Recall for Corroded Connector

08317: Product Safety - Brake Lamps Not Working Properly - (Feb 10, 2009)

Subject: 08317 -- Brake Lamps Not Working Properly

Models: 2005-2006 Pontiac G6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2005-2006 model year Pontiac G6 vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition where the brake lamps may not operate properly because of fretting corrosion in a wiring connector. Fretting corrosion in the connector could cause the brake lamps to illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. In addition, the cruise control may not engage, or greater brake pedal force may be required to shift the vehicle out of PARK. Brake lamps that are not operating properly may not warn a driver in a following vehicle of the braking status and could lead to a crash without prior warning.

Correction
    Dealers are to apply a dielectric lubricant to the connector to repair and prevent fretting corrosion.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are certain 2005-2006 model year Pontiac G6 vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
    Division
    Model
    From
    Through

Pontiac
    G6

Pontiac
    G6

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
    Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
    Description
    Qty/ Vehicle

12377900 (US)

10953529 (CN)
    Lubricant, Dielectric
    1*

* One unit of lubricant will service 25 vehicles.

Service Procedure
    Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access the body control module (BCM).
    Locate the C2 connector on the BCM.
    Unlatch the C2 connector and disconnect the C2 connector from the BCM.

Apply dielectric lubricant on the BCM C2 pins (apply with a one-inch (25 mm) nylon bristle brush) on all the C2 connector pins. This will treat the pins against fretting corrosion.
    Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.
    Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Nice find. I'll have to see if I'm in the affected list..
      2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
      Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
      Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
      2005 CGM GTO.
      386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
      2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

pm me vin and find out

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

in the words of the eternal scooby doo...

RUH ROH!

what confuses me is how does a connector embedded well within the body of the car develop corrosion...while all the other connectors and fuses surrounding it are entirely unaffected?
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

i dont think its normal corrosion. its fretting corrosion.

Fretting corrosion refers to corrosion damage at the asperities of contact surfaces. This damage is induced under load and in the presence of repeated relative surface motion, as induced for example by vibration

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn

Fretting corrosion refers to corrosion damage at the asperities of contact surfaces. This damage is induced under load and in the presence of repeated relative surface motion, as induced for example by vibration
              what the fret is fretting corrosion?
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Here is documentation related to this recall:

GM Notification to Dealers: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/a ... 6-4651.pdf
                Recall Acknowledgment: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/a ... 6-4474.pdf
                Customer Notification Letter: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/a ... 6-3036.pdf
                Remedy Instruction and TSB: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/a ... 6-6820.pdf
                Defect Notice: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/a ... 6-1781.pdf
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

thats a good question

from what i can gather its something like the metal contacts rub on each other and kind of wear eachother down and the dielectric grease is supposed to prevent that idk

if any one can define it beter feel free to try

Comment

thats a good question

from what i can gather its something like the metal contacts rub on each other and kind of wear eachother down and the dielectric grease is supposed to prevent that idk

if any one can define it beter feel free to try
                    to the bat google!!!!

[batman music]

Ironically enough, an explanation from Delphi!

Originally posted by Delphi
                    Fretting corrosion is the name for a build-up of insulating, oxidized wear debris that can form when there is small amplitude fretting motion between electrical contacts. The oxidized wear debris can pile up enough at the electrical contact spots that the electrical resistance across the connection increases a lot.
                    Source document: http://connectors.delphi.com/dcsgdmcs/D ... etting.pdf
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                      pm me vin and find out
                      Isn't this the VIN list?

Pontiac
                      G6

Pontiac
                      G6
                      <-- Gray G6? Click!
                      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani

Isn't this the VIN list?

Pontiac
                        G6

Pontiac
                        G6

yes BUT

Involved are certain 2005-2006 model year Pontiac G6 vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints
                        Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

SO not all vehicles in there may bneed it to be done. so for a quick check they can do that but to be sure i can look it up and check

fopr those of you who want to check those VIN numbers are the LAST 8 NUMBERS OF YOUR VIN. if your inbetween them you may need the recall

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                          Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                          pm me vin and find out
                          Isn't this the VIN list?

Pontiac
                          G6

Pontiac
                          G6
                          yeah but that requires thinking dammit.

it's just easier to ask ahuhn.
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish

what the fret is fretting corrosion?

Is that the type of green residue on electrical contacts?

Comment

Wiki on fretting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
                              <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Working...
                              X