Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and other detailing questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Ultimate Compound and other detailing questions...

So I'm planning my shopping list to go to the Autoshow, have some questions as well as some detailing questions in preparation for the upcoming Spring season:

1. I was reading up on these:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=28407
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=28334

Originally my plan was to fix up the swirls on my paint and was looking to buy some Mirror Glaze 9 Swirl Remover to fix. Now that I see this, should I get the Ultimate Compound instead? I'm really confused now. They say the Ultimate Compound has more bite than ScratchX. I originally got the ScratchX to fix up a scratch on my rear bumper, but I put quite a lot of elbow grease, it's still there. So does Ultimate Compound works both as a scratch and swirl remover?

2. What exactly is the difference between a "scratch fixer" and a swirl remover? ScratchX, Ultimate Compound, are these considered "paint cleaners", or is that something else?

3. Back then I tried to do a thorough detail, I used it in this order: Wash x2, Dry, ScratchX, Polish, and finally wax. Is this correct?

4. For the polish, I got Mirror Glaze 7 Show Car Glaze. I have a feeling I got the wrong one, the label says it's for "perfecting already excellent paint". Does the different polishes really matter, or should I replace my polish?

5. I'm going to start clay barring my car this year. Which step of order should I add it to?
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Compound and other detailing questions...

Well you would want to try a test spot and see which product works best for you. ideally you want to use the least abbrasive product.

Are you working by hand??

The new scratch x 2.0 is supposed to work really good so i would try that first....if that doesnt cut it then i would move up to ultimate compound.

The steps you have for the detail is correct and if you plan on claying this time around you would do the following...

wash and dry
    clay
    paint correction - scratch x or ultimate compound
    polish
    wax - i usually do 2 coats of wax

Normally you would want to do that 3 times a year and maintain it. I usually wake up every morning and whipe the car down with ultimate quick detailer and a wash & wax on the weekend.
    A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
    Originally posted by 08blackgt
    hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

Yes, I'm applying by hand. I do have a cordless applicator, but I really only use it with a cotton pad to remove wax, but for the most part it's hands-on elbow grease for me.

I read up a little more, and it does look like the Ultimate Compound does work very well for removing scratches. I'll probably get that, do it once then keep up with ScratchX. I still have quite a lot of that left. Judguing how weathered my paint is, I probably should use something a little more abrasive, since ScratchX didn't seem to do a lot last time.

Also I read again about the Mirror Glaze 7, that's a pure polish so it's next to not abrasive at all, so I guess I'll keep on using that.

As for the frequency... I think our winters is too long to do 3 times a year.

I'm on a schedule to do one before and after winter as restoration, and clean up every week.

Thanks for the tips!
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

Just make sure youre using a good applicator. If not, youre doing more harm than good. Ultimate compound is a great start for consumers. It should be followed up with some wax as well. Maybe some Glaze, I prefer M7.

Compound
        Glaze, (wipe on and off product)
        then wax. (nxt 2.0 )
        Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Originally posted by acxdarlene
          I usually wake up every morning and whipe the car down with ultimate quick detailer and a wash & wax on the weekend.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer
            Just make sure youre using a good applicator. If not, youre doing more harm than good. Ultimate compound is a great start for consumers. It should be followed up with some wax as well. Maybe some Glaze, I prefer M7.

Compound
            Glaze, (wipe on and off product)
            then wax. (nxt 2.0 )
            Yeah, this is my plan of attack:

Wash -- Deep Crystal Wash (still have tons of that) x2
            Clay -- Quick Clay Kit
            Clean -- Ultimate Compound (replaces ScratchX)
            Polish -- Mirror Glaze 7
            Wax -- NXT 1.0 (just got one new tin then 2.0 came out )
            <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Muhuhahahaha.... I got my Ultimate Compound today.

I'll start cracking at it in a few weeks when the car wash reopens.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Compound and other detailing

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                You're not washing your own car? That's the least painstaking part of the detailing.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Compound and other detailing

Originally posted by mike91y2k
                  Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                  You're not washing your own car? That's the least painstaking part of the detailing.
                  Car wash as in the car wash bay in my condo. It's closed every year in Winter.

Only time I use a "car wash" is is when it's too cold out for me to stand and wash my car.
                  <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Working...
                  X