Gauges failed to work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauges failed to work...

Handwashed my car, let it sit for over an hour, then went out to get some gas. I look down and see all of my gauges aren't working. The gauge lights are working fine...the mileage is showing...but all the gauges are in the 'off' position. So I turn the car off...then back on. Same thing. Drive about 1/2 mile to a parking lot. Turn off, lock doors, unlock, start car....they work.

Any ideas?

Wire maybe or a glitch in the computer? When they were not working did they do the sweep when you started ur 6er?
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
      Wire maybe or a glitch in the computer? When they were not working did they do the sweep when you started ur 6er?
      Yea...they did the sweep. Went back to the 'off' position. And remained there. No other mechanical problems were noticed either. All lights, radio, ect worked just fine.

Comment

I've read about this happening somewhere before. Try a search, I know I've seen it.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

This sounds like what happens when you remote start your car before you put the key in it and turn.
          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Ive heard some people talk about a floating gauge... but never just failure to work, take it and have it looked at.. if you can?!
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I've had a similar issue with my '06 GTP coupe on two occasions. The chime sounds, and all of the indicator lights come on simultaneously (e.g., ABS failure, Traction Control disabled, StabiliTrak disabled, etc.) All of the gauges fall to 0 (speedo, tach, coolant temp, fuel level.) Also, "LOW FUEL" appears on the DIC, even though the tank was above half full in both cases. All of these events happen suddenly, and for no apparent reason. In both cases, I would estimate my speed to be 40-45 mph.

The problem disappears when I "reboot" the car (ignition off, then on.) The car has 6800 miles. Anyone else have this problem?

[/b]

Comment

My dad had this problem on his '97 Malibu LS. The gauges would either not work or they would go all the way and stay there. They had to replace the entire electronic board (which was around 750$ CDN). Good thing it was under warranty!

However, this is the first time I hear about this problem on a G6.
                COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

the first time i had my guages fixed something was wrong with computer part of system....so you could be having same issue..might wanna get it checked out while you can

Comment

This is quite interesting. I had this happen about a week and a half ago. I've only had my car over a month now... sedan-inline4.

I left work, got into my car and started it. went to pull out of the parking lot and noticed the gauges were going all crazy. DIC was telling me "low fuel". I know for a fact I had just under a quarter tank left, maybe a little under (which I was able to prove to myself later). I typically don't look at the gauges when I first get in when I know how much gas I have. but I did notice it did do the sweep when I started it.

they would all be sitting zero'd, then jump and the lights would all flash, low fuel would flash. I freaked so headed straight for the gas station (right around the corner) since I was in the midst of pulling out of the parking lot.

put gas in the car, started it and no problems. all back to normal. haven't had it happen again. it also only took 50 liters. which proved I still have gas (since it's a 61/62 liter tank right?) and I'd remember checking my DTE when I was out at lunch. figured a glitch in the system. if it happens again, I'm taking it in.

Comment

damn liter to gallon conversion, ill never figure it out

Ya im sticking with a glitch in the computer. Also i am not aware how bad it is in these cars but i know in my truck if i park on a hill and then start my truck and leave, my fuel gauge will show alot less in the tank then there actually is for a couple miles. But ya glitch in the puter sounds like a coulprit (sp?)
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

It's happening to me almost on a daily basis now. Happened while I was cruising along at 70 mph today (and I had been cruising for over an hour without any problems.) All of a sudden the gauges fell to 0, the chimes sounded, A/C stopped working (although the LED was still illuminated) and DIC reported "LOW FUEL." I pulled off the interstate and shut off the car. When I tried to restart, there was NOTHING. Clutch was definitely held to the floor, but I turned the key to "start" several times and the car did absolutely nothing. I finally had to remove the key and get out of the car, lock the car, unlock the car, then get back in and try it again. Started right up. This is incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

I also noticed that the odometer reads "ERROR" when this problem occurs... not sure if I've mentioned that before.

Comment

Finally got this problem resolved on the third visit to the dealer, and after getting in touch with Pontiac customer support.

The dealer was unable to reproduce the gauge failures (and "dead ignition" problem) and the 10 stored codes (e.g., "Lost communication with BCM", "Lost communication with ABS") did not help in determining the root cause.

Anyway, the dealer installed a new BCM (body control module) and a new ignition switch. Hopefully the gauge failures are gone now...

Pontiac customer support said they had not heard of this particular problem, but it looks like a few other people in this forum have encountered it. I'd encourage those people to look into having components replaced. A $28k car (GTP coupe, at any rate) with only 9k miles should NOT have electrical/computer failures.

Computers generally cannot be repaired, which is why I was insistent on having components replaced. It could very well be that a supplier (would that be Delphi?) has quality control issues with the BCM, or whatever component is the culprit.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

I haven't had this happen again.....yet.....knock on wood.

Comment

Could water have gotten into the fuse box?
                              Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Working...
                              X