Winter beating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter beating

Well, this is my first winter having my license, and I have to admit, my poor g6 has taken quite a beating from the harsh Wisconsin weather. Once the weather finally starts warming up, what would you guys suggest to get rid of scratches and what not? I've seen some stuff in an orange bottle called I thin nuFinish or something like that. Or is it just easier to have the shop detail it? I've noticed three or four scratches that are going to bug me once its nice out. There's one scratch that's down to the primer. What would you suggest for that?

Re: Winter beating

Originally posted by paechr
    Well, this is my first winter having my license, and I have to admit, my poor g6 has taken quite a beating from the harsh Wisconsin weather. Once the weather finally starts warming up, what would you guys suggest to get rid of scratches and what not? I've seen some stuff in an orange bottle called I thin nuFinish or something like that. Or is it just easier to have the shop detail it? I've noticed three or four scratches that are going to bug me once its nice out. There's one scratch that's down to the primer. What would you suggest for that?
    scratch off ive used for those small scratchs on the hood for Daily driving and worked pretty well. if its down too far you should get a touch up bottle from GM. your paint code is in your glove box on a sticker.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Comment

My car has been too dirty for me to tell if there are any scratches but definitely do what Lenny said. Don't want that shit getting down to the metal.
      Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
      I <3 Cody.

No homo.
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

i usually give it a touch free wash during the winter when the salt builds up a lot just so it gets off most of the salt and i can see if theres any scratches. definitely don't do a standard wash because the brushes scrubbing the car when theres salt on it might give you some scratches or a lot of them.lol

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
        TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
        Show
        -20% tint
        -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
        -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know if it was a better deal to just have it detailed, and see if they can get the scratches out or if I should do it myself. I usually try to take it to the touchless car wash once a week to try and keep the salt off. I'll tell you though, nothing beats washing it yourself, there's definitely a difference.

Comment

yea that NuFinish I think works pretty good.

My progression thread
            Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
            Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
            In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
            Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
            Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

yeah..my 6 has taken a horrible beating this winter..this blows im moving somewhere, where it doesnt snow lol

Comment

For sure! I was looking through pictures of my car the first day I got it, and comparing them to what it looks like now because of the snow and its just depressing! I have to say though..while a lot of my friends have battles with getting stuck, and cars not starting, my 6er has handle the winter very well! Not getting stuck even once. I'm definitely in love with my G6. haha!

Comment

where do you live?

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  Originally posted by snowmanG6
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Frequent rinses with clean water. Helps keep the salt off. I used to do it every time I use my car back in university when going from Waterloo to Toronto and back.

After winter's over, do a nice clean up, fix up scratches. I use Meg's ScratchX for that. Speaking of which I need to go stock up some goodies at the AutoShow Megs stall this year in prep for a major cleanup after the snow's gone.
                    <-- Gray G6? Click!
                    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

I bring mine once a month (depending on the snow/salt) to a PDQ, when it gets warm out I generally will do a Mothers Claybar then hit it with some scratch-x then tech wax 2.0 (or gold class, both work well for the price).. takes quite a while but the results are amazing..

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
                      Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

What is a mothers Claybar?? lol sounds damaging..lol

Comment

Megs clay bar is FAR better.

The claying process consists of rubbing clay across the surface of your paint, which is well lubricated, to pull out the contanaments of the paint.

Take it as you will
                          Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

i saw 2 cars from ontario all the way down in florida today on my way to orlando today they were covered in white crap and salt....so glad i'm not up north
                            2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
                            Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
                            Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
                            Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

Yeah it gets old.

The weather finally broke above freezing and I washed my car today. I forgot it was blue. It looks as shiny as a diamond
                              Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                              I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                              Originally posted by ahuhn
                              i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Working...
                              X