Opening frozen doors on the 6...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening frozen doors on the 6...

ok guys..so after all the snow and ice ohio got 2 nights ago..i havnt touched my car..well today when the univeristy opened back up and i had a class..so i went out side to find my car covered like i was expecting. But, heres the problem..the doors are frozen shut..and im too scared to just yank it open cuz of the way the windows open when you open the door..if I just yank it open..and this will require alot of force as there is alot of ice built up on the top and the bottom of the window..will i break teh door? or will it be alright?

Re: Opening frozen doors on the 6...

You can try yanking it. Mine needed a good tug this morning cause of all the ice yesterday.

If you're scared to open it, you can grab a big bowl full of steaming hot water and pour it over the top of the door to loosen it up, and the size if you really need it. I had to do that in my Sunfire once when I was unable to open the doors and needed to get to high school in time
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

alright thanks..i was just worried about breaking the window motor

Comment

Just pour the water on the seem between the two. Try getting in the passenger door too... then you can turn the heater on or move it in the sun. I was parked in the sun and moved mine when I woke up this morning and went back our to leave an hour later and all the ice came right off.
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

take it from someone that knows you will be able to open it but then you have to get the windows to work to close the door. the window may make a very bad noise when you open it from not going down and it will not break.

it sucks and a pain in the ass

you can use woodys idea but use hot/warm water.
          ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
          .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

actually i didnt use warm or hot water cuz i was worried i would crack the window..it happened to my mom a couple years ago..so i just used some cool water and that got the ice to the point that i could open teh door without too much of a problem..and there aren't really any sunny spots up here..so for now i just brushed off all the snow that was on top of the ice..ill go back later and see if that helped at all..

Comment

Do you have remote start? You can use that to warm up the car some.

Comment

yeah i do have remote start, and i have used it..it didnt do much at all lol the layer of ice is too thick

Comment

might be time for me to revisit my window heater project that i abandoned some time ago...
                  2009 PONTIAC G8
                  MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

You mean a blow dryer?

I definately wouldn't throw warm water on any window. Like mentioned, it will instantly turn to ice and bust it. Doesn't make sense, you'd think it'd be the opposite, that cold water would freeze quicker.
                    Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                    I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                    Originally posted by ahuhn
                    i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Originally posted by determined419
                      You mean a blow dryer?
                      no an actual defroster grid on the perimeter of the windows for coupes that would be triggered by remote start.
                      2009 PONTIAC G8
                      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

i always just open the door then curse then lightly close the door and about 10 minutes into my drive i can get it to break loose. that or i have an old gift card ill squeze in between teh bottom molding and the window and thet works well

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        Originally posted by snowmanG6
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I worry about this problem every day...............

In all seriousness, I had to turn on the heated seats for like 2 minutes the other morning cause it was a little cold. I feel for all you people up north.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

This has happened to me before on my sedan.
                            I just worry about ripping apart the door seal.
                            Would that ever happen?

and Pops...
                            LOL how cold was it?? 65?
                            you aint seen nothin
                            Originally posted by popsicle
                            I worry about this problem every day...............

In all seriousness, I had to turn on the heated seats for like 2 minutes the other morning cause it was a little cold. I feel for all you people up north.

My progression thread
                            Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
                            Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
                            In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
                            Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
                            Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

It was like 50 today! I had to actually turn on my heater!

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Working...
                              X