Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Player with MP3 Capability

I bought G6 V6 Sedan 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks for the nice forum I'm getting many useful information.

My question is..

I've noticed only G6 (compared to other models from Pontiac) doesn't come with MP3 capable audio system.

I had no doubt about it when I bought the car. but as soon as I stick a MP3 CD in, it was unreadable. Then I read the specs very carefully, All G6s don't have MP3 Playback capability.

It was definitely disappointing. I like everything else about my car, but this. I don't even want the 6-disc CD changer if I had an MP3 CD capability.

Do you have any idea if there's an aftermarket computer chip for the audio system to be able to recognize MP3 CDs?
    Or, is pontiac planning to have one in 2007 models?

Thanks!
    '06 G6 V6.. OMG Truly an evil car... LOL!

I totally agree about it being disappointing and I think my first post on these forums was a gripe about just that. Your best bet is to install an aftermarket unit and use Metra's install kit so you can retain the basic functionality of the DIC computer system. There is already a thread on this subject, but make note that the actual appearance of the kit is different from what the original poster of that thread linked to.

http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
    -Kevin
    2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
    2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Thanks for the info ShadowLab.

So, basically, if I want MP3 CDs to play on my car, I need a new stereo. That really sucks..

I found out even Vibe comes with mp3 capability as an option.

If this was the first year for G6, I might be able to understand it, but it's their 2nd year. What was the major improvement from 05 to 06? Only the steering wheel, from 4 spokes to 3 spokes?

It's just too disappointing. I should've gotten a freaking Vibe, then I'd be happier. lol!

Comment

3 spoke steering wheel, GTP, 6 Speed, GTP, 6 Speed... uhhhh... Convertable soon...

Lots of improvements. I agree with you though. All cars should have basic MP3 capability now.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

honestly its like microwaves, everyone has them now, after all it is the 21st century.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

good comparison....microwaves and MP3 playback capability......maybe because they both start with M's ??? haha.
            Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
            GT-R Exhaust System
            K&N Typhoon CAB
            EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
            EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

The first portable MP3 CD player I bought was like 6 years ago.
              And most import cars come with MP3 capable audio system as a standard.

I don't know what GM's thinking. The technology should get better not worse...

They even thought of trip computers to alert me to be careful because the road may be icy when the temperature falls below 32. I thought it was cute.

BUT Can't believe they didn't think of and left out MP3s

The members of G6 develop team should be shot!

Comment

My GMC Canyon rental last summer had MP3 capability, it was cool.
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

OMG even GMC Canyon does too! The members of G6 develop team should be shot! TWICE! lol

Comment

What about the microwaves, that can cook so evenly.....what will they come up with next??
                    Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
                    GT-R Exhaust System
                    K&N Typhoon CAB
                    EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
                    EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

Originally posted by hoonypark
                      The first portable MP3 CD player I bought was like 6 years ago.
                      And most import cars come with MP3 capable audio system as a standard.

I don't know what GM's thinking. The technology should get better not worse...

They even thought of trip computers to alert me to be careful because the road may be icy when the temperature falls below 32. I thought it was cute.

BUT Can't believe they didn't think of and left out MP3s

The members of G6 develop team should be shot!
                      Not really. I just talked to my boss (he drives an Accord), and MP3's not on the list of options for his car either.

The main reason for the lack of MP3 is because this radio is actually shared with the Malibu. The Malibu came with no MP3 support at all, when it was first designed and released in 2004.

The new GMs, sadly, after the G6 all have an auxiliary jack standard and MP3 radio available.

Probably by the next redesign of the radio, or if the G6 gets refreshed.

For now, stick with an FM transmitter if you want MP3.
                      <-- Gray G6? Click!
                      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                      2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                      Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Yeah....I was like no mp3 player on the G6!! wtf!! I was looking at the Equinox and they had one that got me thinking why didn't the g6 had a mp3 stereo system!!

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

Has anyone thought about getting a radio from a cobalt or equinox with Mp3 ability.. they looks almost identical. Mike, could u get a pic of the back of your stock radio?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LKQ-2005 ... otohosting
                          Originally posted by Toyz
                          Originally posted by simplyred
                          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

that is a good idea if it fits right.

my '99 jimmy has the ICE warning in the overhead temp unit when it drops below 34 i think, so that isn't even anything new. i dunno, i don't feel that car companies NEED to make updates every year unless there is something wrong with the car. the fact that they do is just a bonus. i do kinda miss the good old days when every years was a completely new body style and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by simplyred
                              Has anyone thought about getting a radio from a cobalt or equinox with Mp3 ability.. they looks almost identical. Mike, could u get a pic of the back of your stock radio?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LKQ-2005 ... otohosting
                              I had considered this approach because you'd retain the DIC if it's compatible. The only real downside is that you wouldn't have the Pontiac red LED display.
                              -Kevin
                              2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                              2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

Working...
                              X