Dual Action Polisher help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Action Polisher help

Ok, so im getting ready to buy a porter cable 7424, some pads and a Velcro backing plate. I have spent a lot of time so far this winter going through articles on autopia.org, to learn how to use it and such. One question that i really can't find the answer to though is which products should i actually use? I would prefer to stay within the Meguiar's product lines but, would be totally open to different brands.
    Current Mods : 7 color LED under dash/ seats, integration solutions I pod Adapter, 2 Powerbass PS-12 subs powered by a Power Acoustik OV2-2200.

Next on the list an intake..

Re: Dual Action Polisher help

Meg's #80 and #83 are what I use. Just make sure to take your time, apply the right amount of product, and don't try to do too large of an area at once.

Have you bought the PC yet? If not, Autopia has a 30% off sale right now, and they offer kits with the products and pads you need. They don't carry Meguiars anymore but they do offer some good products.

Autogeek.net is another store you might want to check out, if you want to stick with Meguiars' products.

Comment

Try looking at the meguiars forum they have a lot of helpful information on there. I use meguiars products myself with a porter cable 7424. You need to evaluate your paint finish first and determine what products will be best to use.
      A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
      Originally posted by 08blackgt
      hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

after 80 and 83 would i put wax on top of that?

and no i have yet to order the porter cable yet but i will def get a move on that with the sale
        Current Mods : 7 color LED under dash/ seats, integration solutions I pod Adapter, 2 Powerbass PS-12 subs powered by a Power Acoustik OV2-2200.

Comment

Yes you would definitely need to put wax on top after 80 or 83.

Comment

3M is what I use for my job and it also what most detail shops use. Better than meguiars in my opinion.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665190"

Performance mods...
            Tuned by SB Tuning (93 octane tune)... Ported throttle body by SB Tuning... CAI for the G6 from Ebay... Custom exhaust and Dyna Max mufflers... Stock Wheel with 225 45 18 Good Year RSA's Repainted Gunmetal Grey... Now Upper and lower 10,000k HID's... NRG Engine damper Installed... Cquence Drilled/Slotted rotors... Racing Line MMI's

Comment

what are some of the products from 3m?

Comment

Working at a detail shop i would suggest getting some of that new M105 2.0, its DA friendly now and finish up with some M205, in my opinion the M205 finishes up alot better than M80.

105 cuts pretty fast so do not use it so often. After you polish it I would suggest 2 thin coats of NXT 2.0 or Gold Class Wax. Carnuba or paste, its up to you. I always end up using paste since its easier to apply with a DA but you can take out the carnuba out of the jar and apply it easier.
                Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

so is it safe to say m105 is more aggressive than the m83? or the m80? not really sure which to use first

Comment

M105 is a cutting compound so you want to use 105 before going over with a polish IE M80 or M205

If you look on the side of the label, you will see a arrow, the higher it is on the chart the more aggressive it is, the lower it is on the chart, the less aggressive it is.

My method is
                    Wash
                    Clay(ALWAYS CLAY FIRST, before polishing or compounding)
                    Compound/Polish
                    Glaze
                    Wax

There are two ver. of m105, one that can only be used by hand or rotary and the newer one, which you want to get, which can be used by a DA

I forgot to mention however, using such aggressive polish is now always necessary. DETERMINE THE PAINT CONDITION before.

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer
                      I forgot to mention however, using such aggressive polish is now always necessary. DETERMINE THE PAINT CONDITION before.
                      You mean "not always necessary", not "now always necessary".

Comment

Ok so if i feel i need to then use the 105 if not use a less aggressive polish or just start with the 205? and is the 205 taking place of a glaze?

Comment

Start with 205 and then move to 105 if you cannot remove certain swirls. Since you are using a Porter Cable, I just want to let you know. You will NOT be able to remove ALL scratches and imperfections. There are limitations with the porter cable compared to a rotary. Polishes have abrasives while glazes do not. Glaze are just oils that will be put back into your paint.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                            Originally posted by Fischer
                            You mean "not always necessary", not "now always necessary".

Yeah, sorry I meant to say not,

Comment

I appreciate your help, and sorry for asking so many questions lol. so my process should be wash, clay, 205, 105, then two coats of nxt? Also for pads this pad would work for the 105, and 205 right http://autodetailingsolutions.net/w8006.html(of course separate pads for each product) then this one for nxt http://autodetailingsolutions.net/w9006.html ?

Comment

Working...
                              X