Custom Mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Mats

Okay...because the money I would like to spend on my car is going to go to performance stuff and not "pretty" stuff, I figured...why not be unique and customize my own mats? I couldnt bring myself to spend some outrageous amount of money on floor mats when I still want my exhaust...

And besides, I think they came out pretty nice
    Originally posted by Kman
    'Ghetto Booty' + Jules = My, My ,My

And how did you do that?
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Wow those are cool, I like.

I'll send you mine

Comment

See the thing that looks like a soldering gun next to the carpet?

Thats a leather burning gun.

I traced out the pattern, then copied it onto a piece of really thick posterboard. And cut it out with an Xacto knife.

I pushed it down really hard so the carpet stood up inside of the lettering.

Then I burned the carpeting down, so it melted and left an indentation where it had been standing up.

When it was cool, I took it outside and went over it lightly (with the cardboard still on it) with a white spraypaint. Then touched it up with handpaint.

Removed the cardboard/posterboard and wallah

Comment

And in the car....

Where I pushed the cardboard down real hard it looks like there is some discoloration on the mat. I just need to vacuum it so its all the same height again....

Comment

Thats awesome Julez
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

holy crap, I would have never thought of that! That's really neat-o, major props to you on that one!
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Looks great. Very creative.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Jules, you have more ideas than some of the guys on here and you are doing it yourself. Major props for that. You should write up a How-To if you haven't already. I love it, I plan on sending you my mats right now, lol.
                  "DUB G6" 20" Diablo Fatboy Rims, DUB badge on the trunk, DUB 20" badges on both fenders, Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP Cd/MP3 player, Scosche GMLan Kit, Two Rockford Fosgate 12's, Rockfard Fosgate Amp. Tint 20% Rear/40% Front.

Next: Aftermarket headlights, Remove Pinstripes, DVD player In The Glove Compartment & Two Tv's In The Headrest With Wireless Headphones. There Is No G6 Cleaner Than Mine.

Comment

That looks good! :smoke: am jellous lol
                    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                    Gotta have it Green color
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack
                    GT500 track pack differential cover
                    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Have you done this before? How does it hold up?
                      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

hmmm thats awesome jules

gonna have to customize mine now...well after i find someone with that nice tool

Comment

For the most part, my how-to is right there, lol. I can write a formal one if you guys want me to?

Anyway, the total cost is like $27, if you dont already have the gun.

Get the gun from Michaels or Hobby Lobby or the like. I paid 19.99 for mine, but mine has like 25 different tips, because I use it for a lot of other stuff, and most of you wouldnt need that one. I think you can pick up a cheap one for like $15.99

The Xacto knife is a couple of bucks (You need an art one, not one of those big ones that guys use to open boxes and stuff). The posterboard was a buck or two (Its thick, like photo mat-ing board). The spraypaint isnt much, and then the handpaint was like 1.99 for a bottle at Garden Ridge.

The BIG trick to this...getting the center of the 6 to stay put while you run a coat of spraypaint over it. I ended up with white fingers, and had to get the paint off of them with nailpolish remover.

Total cost on this mod for me...since I had the gun...was > $7.

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
                            Have you done this before? How does it hold up?
                            Nope, I was a mat customizing virgin. :P So I have no idea how it will hold up.

Considering its burned into the carpet, I can tell you, the letters wont lose their shape.

I used a plastic paint to paint them, because the fibers on the carpet are plastic, so I assumed that was the best route to go versus a cloth paint.

BUT....as i said, it cost me less than $7 to do, total. And if (after my CAI and exhaust is done) something happens to them, I'll just replace with the same mats that Clint got. I cant forsee them falling apart or anything though.

Comment

if they color doesnt hold up....not like painting them again is to expensive

i like this mod...def gonna have to try it out

how you think a thin piece of cardboard would work, wouldnt have to worry as much about center of 6(if made a different type 6, yours you had to hold or put somethign on to hold it), assuming you put g6 and not something else

did it burn down to the bottom of mat thru all the material, or just down into the material a little bit?

Comment

Working...
                              X