Question for aftermarket radio users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for aftermarket radio users

If you have done the installation yourself...or seen it done, is it possible to reverse the AC and radio controls so that the AC controls are on top, and the radio and DIC on the bottom?

I ask because in my old car i would drive with my arm resting on the shift knob and when I want to change something on the radio, I would just stretch out my fingers and turn a knob or hit a button. Now with the new car, when I do that by habit, I end up turning my AC off, or down, or up or whatever.

So if the two could be reversed so the AC is up top, I would be a happy camper. Plus, with any aftermarket install, I hate the way the DIC looks right there in the middle of everything. If it could be at the bottom it would be less stupid looking.

You may need to modify it quite a bit, because of the way the dash kit is molded so that the AC controls fit perfectly over and somewhat into it. It's recessed a bit so you can't put the AC controls back in first. You need to put the dash kit in, then the AC controls over it. Plus I'm not too sure if the bolts would match up that hold the dash kit and controls.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I wonder if the wires would even reach to where you would need to?

no doubt it would be a sweet mod, but compilated fo sho
      Originally posted by colinpeddle
      They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
      That here, by G6er law, we lie
      Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
      THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

You could always extend the wires. It would be a PITA, but doable. I'm just not sure if everything would fit in and bolt in smoothly without some serious grinding or cutting.
        -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Yeah it's probably doable, but probably not worth the trouble I would think. Depends on your stand on it though.

Comment

a custom fiberglassed housing would be nice in the center dash
            -Mike #1

Comment

Yea since the whole dash unit is like at an angle it would take alot of bending and molding to get this to fit as it should. and the AC cables are not long enough as well. so you would have to make extention cables.

Comment

cant you reach by just bending your wrist up though? if you can reach the bottom surely you can just bend wrist and reach the stereo

if you decide to venture into this though, post progress pics so we can see how it goes and goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                  cant you reach by just bending your wrist up though? if you can reach the bottom surely you can just bend wrist and reach the stereo.
                  Yea, but I'm lazy

I'm gonna look into it and if I end up doin it...i'll definitely document it.

Comment

I have to agree, i constantly find myself turning the fans on instead of turning the music up..
                    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
                      I have to agree, i constantly find myself turning the fans on instead of turning the music up..
                      LOL, ok, I've done that. I need a remote.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                      X