A couple ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple ideas

OK, first I'm no real car guy. I've come up with a couple ideas and have very little idea on how to proceed. So I'll share the ideas and hopefully anyone that does them will be nice enough to provide step by step instructions/part numbers/etc for a newbie...

The first idea is very basic. All the dash and console stuff is in red... Except the high beam indicator (which is fine) and the dumb orange LEDs for the environmental controls. What would it take to make them red too?

Second, I saw somewhere here that someone did footwell lighting that worked with the dome lights. They came on, dimmed, turned off, etc with the dome and map lights on entry/unlocking. Well, I wanna do that, but instead of foot well lighting I was thinking about the reflectors on the door. One of the guys at work said he had a Pontiac that had a split light there... One half was a red light pointing back (basically what the reflector we have does) and the other half was white light that illuminated the ground/door sill area for entry. Something like that sounds cool to me.

I have a co-worker with a Taurus that has exterior entry lighting and it's the only thing I wish I had from his car on mine. His is under his reaerview mirrors, that seems like a lot of work to set up, but the general idea appeals to me.

The wiring part is what gets me. The thread that I'm having a hard time finding right now was answered by naming a couple colors wires... I'm not bright enough to figure that out so I'd need some really basic instructions.

Hmmm... 44 hits and no posts. Do the ideas not appeal, nobody knows the details on how to do them, or is someone out there doing them and (hopefully) documenting the process?

Comment

You can basically either wire them up to the fuse box that contains the fuse for the light that comes on...etc. the dome light. Or you can just run the wire directly to that light, which would require removing a lot more interior panels and running longer wire.

I'd say just find the correct fuse (in the manual), then run your wires from the aftermarket lighting right to the fuse.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Thanks for the reply. At this point I haven't even looked at the fuse box. I'm assuming it's on the left side of the dash hidden by the door when it's closed. That's where it was on my old Grand Am anyways. I really have no idea how to go about tying into the fuse box. I saw some people saying that they just twist the wire around the leg of the fuse itself and jam it in there...

I'm not ready to go that ghetto on a mod, but I haven't seen any other suggestions. are there connectors or something on the back that I should be wiring to? I know running the wires themselves will onvolve getting into the doors. I'm sure I can handle that part as I've done some work on a failing power window system on the old GA, but I've never done anything electronically other than installing a very basic aftermarket CD player.

I guess my first step should be to design the light unit itself, no point in ripping the door apart with nothing to install.

Can anyone supply the basic information about lightbulb selection or LED selection and how to select resistors for them and such?

Comment

It'd be a lot easier to just buy LED light bars with built-in resistors. But it sounds like you want to use single LEDs to complement certain small areas with light. In that case, here's a little calculator for you to use: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I suppose a lightbar could work, but the thought is to put a round unit in where the reflector is now. The goal is to make the mod look like a factory option, so the design is a bit of a trick. I'm kinda thinking that I can get a red lens the size off the reflector and put lights behind it, mount it sticking out maybe a 1/4" with a clear lens around the circumference that shines white light onto the road/doorsill area.

Like I said, it's gonna be a little tricky to get things shining just right.

Comment

Those are great ideas. With over 750 members, it may take sometime to get someone to come up with a solution. E2helper can point out the wiring solution, it you present one of your ideas like the door lighting seperately.
              Just a thought.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
              X