hardenend engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardenend engine mounts

Well, I sick and tired to replace the engine mounts. Not the ones that we have inserts for, I am talking about the solid blocks that actually supports the engine/transaxle weight to the subframe.

Here is a pic

Since I had my car (1 year), the dealer has replaced this part 4 times!!!!
    So, any alternative to the weak OEM part?

If I use the inserts, will these stock parts endure more?

The inserts only reinforce 2 mounts, what about the other 2 on the passenger side?

Dealer response to this frequent replacement....... our shitty roads and bigger tires (235/50/1

Any help?

Re: hardenend engine mounts

what keeps happening to them?

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

they become"relaxed"
      When that happen, the engine clunks when shifting from drive to reverse or hard accel
      Also, feels some clunking (not the I shaft clunk but similar sound) when going up in driveway ramps and such.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
        If I use the inserts, will these stock parts endure more?

The inserts only reinforce 2 mounts, what about the other 2 on the passenger side?

Dealer response to this frequent replacement....... our shitty roads and bigger tires (235/50/1

Any help?
        Unlikley that the roads/tires are causing it. If you do get the inserts, though, the softer mounts will take the brunt of the vibes/stress unless you can offload it to another area--so they reall will do no good on initial look. You likley would need a harder engine mount, and not the inserts.
        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
        Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

So are these mounts solid rubber or are filled with liquid jelly stuff.

I never had one in my hands (all the work have been done at the dealer under warranty) so that why I ask.

Unlikley that the roads/tires are causing it. If you do get the inserts, though, the softer mounts will take the brunt of the vibes/stress unless you can offload it to another area--so they reall will do no good on initial look. You likley would need a harder engine mount, and not the inserts.
          That was my first thought.... if I add the inserts, I will be moving the load to the softer part, so will be stressing the mounts more or even worse.... breaking other stuff (like the engine dampener mod catastrophe)

So a complete reinformced set is the only way to go...or lowering the air pressure so the tires can absorb bumps a little more (highly doubt it..who knows!).... I am running at 30 psi right now.

Comment

do you stop before you change gears??????

i have never heard of anyone else having problems with these, so this is quite interesting

Comment

Yep. full stop before going from R to D

Even, after the tranny aplies the gear and I accel hard, like going in reverse up a driveway, it clunks.
              If I downshift using the stick, if clunks, slightly, even when the tranny is downshifting in manual mode.

The wierd thing, the mount only last a 4 to 6 weeks tops.
              I went to the dealer this past October, they changed driver side strut and mount. The clunking re-appeared like 3 to 4 days ago...
              Really dont make any sense at all!!

Comment

hey, im gettin a kinda rough idle( worse with a/c off)...could it be that i need my mounts changed orrr. sumthing else? ne ideas ne one?

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
                PSN: racin247
                Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

did you try changing fuel stations?
                  add some seafoam to the fuel
                  or clean air filter

check plugs and change/regap as necessary

Comment

did you try changing fuel stations?
                    add some seafoam to the fuel
                    or clean air filter

check plugs and change/regap as necessary
                    seafoam?? wuts that..

i got a brand new K&n filter, and the car went to servic recently, but still duz it...i guess i gotta chek the plugs

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
                    PSN: racin247
                    Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

[offtopic]
                      Seafoam is a general engine internals cleaner acquired at any auto parts store. Put it into your oil and gas.

[ontopic]
                      I have seen the engine and transmission mounts changed on a 3800 series I and they were solid rubber with an air pocket inside (imagine two rubber "cups" glued together). They were also produced by Borg-Werner if that's any help at all.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

I too am hearing the "clunk" when shifting from Drive to Park or sometimes when accelerating. I took it to the dealership but they couldn't duplicate the problem so I still have the "clunk". Thanks for this thread. I will take my car back to the dealership and have them check these mounts.

GO VOLS

Comment

Originally posted by TNVOLSG6
                          I too am hearing the "clunk" when shifting from Drive to Park or sometimes when accelerating. I took it to the dealership but they couldn't duplicate the problem so I still have the "clunk". Thanks for this thread. I will take my car back to the dealership and have them check these mounts.
                          tell them to check the engine dampener also, my first clunk was stupid dampener.

Will see if I can find one cheap.... making a polyurethane mold for that part should be easy...

Comment

Originally posted by TNVOLSG6
                            tell them to check the engine dampener also, my first clunk was stupid dampener.

Will see if I can find one cheap.... making a polyurethane mold for that part should be easy...

OK!! Thanks for the advice.

GO VOLS

Comment

Working...
                            X