Power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering

Has anyone had problems with power steering on their G6 coupe?
    I just had the motor replaced on 6/13/06 then it showed a power steering error again today, less than 24 hrs. later.
    If anyone has had this problem or has heard of this problem please let me know.

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/view ... r+steering

That is the only thread I found with power steering issues after a quick search.

John
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Quick question: Do you have the a GTP or non GTP model?

If you have a non-GTP model, there are many complaints about the power steering dying. On the GTP, I have not heard one complaint.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

it's a non-GTP, it isn't making no noises or have any problems just the message comes up on the info screen. The dealership has no idea what is causing it just wonder if I'm the only one.

Comment

Have you tried bringing it to a different dealer? Some are better than others...
          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Re: Power steering

Originally posted by Mystic34
            Has anyone had problems with power steering on their G6 coupe?
            I just had the motor replaced on 6/13/06 then it showed a power steering error again today, less than 24 hrs. later.
            If anyone has had this problem or has heard of this problem please let me know.
            Post the exact wording of the error here. Steering not freezing up? There is an engineer that reads the boards and is quite knowledgeable. This is the 1st incident of a '06 power steering issue I've personally heard of.
            Good luck with that.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

the message just says "POWER STEERING" and now it looks like it only comes up when the car is hot when I start it, if the car temp is more than 90 the error will show up. There is no problem with the steering except the message.

Comment

the message just says "POWER STEERING" and now it looks like it only comes up when the car is hot when I start it, if the car temp is more than 90 the error will show up. There is no problem with the steering except the message.
                You mean the outside air temp shown on the DIC?
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.

Comment

it's inside temp shown on the DIC when it sits in the sun it gets hot .

Comment

When the work was done, was the ECM reset at the time of the repair?
                    Originally posted by TLS2000
                    It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

it's inside temp shown on the DIC when it sits in the sun it gets hot .
                      That's actually the outside air temp. Once the car moves it'll go down slightly. However, that being said, the power steering emits an error at that point. You don't have any issues with the steering locking up?
                      I'm assuming at this point you have a base or GT sedan.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888

Comment

Just to kinda jump in here and toss my $.02 in haha for a while I was having a problem where the steering would be insainly tight and then loosen up dramatically. That has since gone away now I just have to find out what the annoying creaking noise is!
                        Originally posted by Toyz
                        Originally posted by simplyred
                        what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                        As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

ok the dealership finally found out what is wrong. The sensor in the sterring column is out

Comment

There was actually a recall on this (well, at least in Canada there was) about power steering. Apparently the power connectors would simply snap off.

Had mine checked out at my last oil change and it was ok.
                            COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                            Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                            MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                            Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                            X