Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need alittle help from the Malibu crowd !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need alittle help from the Malibu crowd !!!!

My wife's 04 Malibu developed a wonderful problem today. Went to start it this morning and it was dead. I had assumed she left a dome light on or something along those lines, however after I popped the hood to give it a jump, I hear this weird noise. So after investigating, I tracked the noise to the fan. I had figured it kicked on when I tried to start the car, however this afternoon she calls me...Car dead again. I'm figuring it's either a bad relay on the fan or something along those lines. Any one have this problem or have another solution for me ?

It's a 04 LT 3500 I believe it's the LX9 motor (looks just like the one in my G6) and jumping a car in the cold Ohio winter sucks !
    05 Sport Metallic Red GT
    GXP Street Edition Rear Bumper

Re: I need alittle help from the Malibu crowd !!!!

Anyone know the location of the radiator fan relay ?
    05 Sport Metallic Red GT
    GXP Street Edition Rear Bumper

Comment

underhood fuse box

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Off the bat I would say dead battery, but the fan should NOT be clicking on with a cold start like that. Does it do it with the key off? If so, I'd check the fan relay. The relay goes to both the battery and the fan, so a short developed there could cause the fan to try and run with the car off. I'd get the car juiced up (hook your battery to it or put a new battery in it) and see if the fan wil try and turn on. Remove the relay and check it again.
        If the fan is making no noise with the relay removed, you know the problem lies either in the relay or in the wire that tells the fan to "turn on". If it does not stop the noise, the problem is going to be between the fan and the relay.
        Relay #28 in the under hood fuse panel goes to the driver's side cooling fan, #30 goes to the passenger side cooling fan, and #29 goes to the driver's side fan as well.
        Figure out which fan is making the noise. Driver's side = 28, pass. side = 30.
        If there is no noise with the key off, more than likely is a dead battery.
        2 12" Kicker CVRs, KX1200.1, Camaro-Style Super Turbo

Comment

Cooling Fan Always On
          Step
          Action
          Yes
          No

DEFINITION: The engine cooling fan motor runs continuously in high or low speed.

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
          Go to Step 2
          Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.

Are one or both cooling fans ON?
          Go to Step 3
          Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Are both cooling fans running continuously?
          Go to Step 4
          Go to Step 6

Are both fans running continuously in high speed?
          Go to Step 5
          Go to Step 7

Test the low reference circuit of the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
          Go to Step 18
          Go to Step 14

Remove the cooling fan S/P relay.

Did the right cooling fan turn OFF?
          Go to Step 10
          Go to Step 8

Remove the cooling fan 1 relay.

Did the cooling fans turn OFF?
          Go to Step 12
          Go to Step 9

Remove the cooling fan 2 relay.

Did the right cooling fan turn OFF?
          Go to Step 13
          Go to Step 11

Repair the short to voltage in the left cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
          Go to Step 18
          --

Repair the short to voltage in the left cooling fan motor low reference circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 18
          --

Repair the short to voltage in the right cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 18
          --

Inspect for poor connections at the cool fan 1 relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
          Go to Step 18
          Go to Step 15

Inspect for poor connections at the cool fan 2 relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 18
          Go to Step 16

Inspect for poor connections at the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 18
          Go to Step 17

Replace the cool fan 1 relay.

Did you complete the replacement?
          Go to Step 18
          --

Replace the cool fan 2 relay.

Go to Step 18
          --

Replace the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor. Refer to Air Conditioning (A/C) Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Replacement in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.

Go to Step 18
          --

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

You and your damn TSM. I gotta do things the hard way!

Comment

thats just the diag chart there is no TSB

but if you need help with anything feel free to ask

Comment

technical service manual =P

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X