My Vector Motorsports ECM tune review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Vector Motorsports ECM tune review

I have installed my Vector 93 octane tune into my '07 GT sedan and driven it for about a week. Here are my impressions.

- Installation was pretty easy. The tutorials on the site helped a lot. I have a check engine light, but I hope to remedy that with a borrowed Dashhawk this week. Strangely, I did not have to do a key relearn... The car started right up for me and when I tried to do the relearn procedure anyway, it didn't illuminate the security indicator. Oh well.

- If the horsepower has been increased, I cannot tell. The company claims you can get up to 15HP boost, but that is about 6% increase over stock and 6% is well below the threshold of human perception. (in general, people need 15% or more to perceive changes) If I had a Dashhawk or something similar I'd be able to report hard numbers for HP gains, but unfortunately I don't.

- Any talk of increased gas mileage was pure BS. Ever since I installed the tune, my DIC MPG meter has been in free fall. It is now at about 22mpg from my old norm of 23mpg and falling. I have not been riding the accelerator either, its just the normal commute that I always do.

- On a positive note, the engine seems much happier. It is so much more willing to really roll up its sleeves and pull for me. It revs up higher now than before, and it jumps into action whenever I press the pedal. It definitely gives you a "wow! why didn't they build it like this to begin with" kind of feeling. Overall I'd say that this is what you're paying for. It comes down to a car with more exciting revs and a harder pull.

So that's it. Did I miss anything?

- d
    2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VVT V6 Granite/Black
    Sun 'n Sound, DupliColor Red Calipers, Mobil 1 Oil System
    GM Strut Brace, MPR Cold Air Intake
    Vector Stealth PCM Tune 93 Octane
    Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, 12" Orion Subwoofer
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2686122

Re: My Vector Motorsports ECM tune review

only thing you missed was putting your review in the right section.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Originally posted by metalliqaz
      - On a positive note, the engine seems much happier. It is so much more willing to really roll up its sleeves and pull for me. It revs up higher now than before, and it jumps into action whenever I press the pedal. It definitely gives you a "wow! why didn't they build it like this to begin with" kind of feeling. Overall I'd say that this is what you're paying for. It comes down to a car with more exciting revs and a harder pull.
      that would be the added HP and TQ that ur feelin opcorn:

i have the VMS tune as well and i noticed a big difference from stock on power.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6

that or else it's just the lack of Torque Management now. I didn't notice a whole lot either, but like he said 15hp isn't a whole lot to notice either :P
        18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Originally posted by Swampassjr

that or else it's just the lack of Torque Management now. I didn't notice a whole lot either, but like he said 15hp isn't a whole lot to notice either :P
          well metalliqaz did say he doesnt have the relearn yet so he wll not feel the full affect of the tune until he gets the crank relearn

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

You will prob gain the MPG back on the crank relearn. Relistacally, without the crank relearn your running less HP then stock
            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
            Gotta have it Green color
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack
            GT500 track pack differential cover
            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

well metalliqaz did say he doesnt have the relearn yet so he wll not feel the full affect of the tune until he gets the crank relearn
              touche my good man
              18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

PM me so we can set up the meet to do the Relearn so you can get the CEL cleared already
                2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                2005 CGM GTO.
                386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

I don't believe the relearn will make any difference. The CASE relearn will allow the engine to properly detect a misfire but I don't think it affects the timing or mixture logic in any way.

And I'll be in touch shortly WoodburyDude

-d
                  2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VVT V6 Granite/Black
                  Sun 'n Sound, DupliColor Red Calipers, Mobil 1 Oil System
                  GM Strut Brace, MPR Cold Air Intake
                  Vector Stealth PCM Tune 93 Octane
                  Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, 12" Orion Subwoofer
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2686122

Comment

That CEL will definately slow you down and until you get it cleared will you then see the full results.

Pretty much what you said is exactly the way it happened to me, right down to the not having to do the relearn. Car wouldnt start a month after installing the tune though and the security light was on the whole time until i sucessfully did the relearn. So just be careful jumping into your car in a few weeks, wouldnt want you to get surprised like i was when it happened to me

Luckily it happened here at my house in the morning so i had access to the forum, and i wasnt at a store pumping gas or something lol

'06 Malibu SS...Vector 93 tune, Nitto Invo, Magnaflow, Cai

Comment

Originally posted by Val06SS
                      That CEL will definately slow you down and until you get it cleared will you then see the full results.

Pretty much what you said is exactly the way it happened to me, right down to the not having to do the relearn. Car wouldnt start a month after installing the tune though and the security light was on the whole time until i sucessfully did the relearn. So just be careful jumping into your car in a few weeks, wouldnt want you to get surprised like i was when it happened to me

Luckily it happened here at my house in the morning so i had access to the forum, and i wasnt at a store pumping gas or something lol

Like all others I had to do the crank relearn, the CEL was on for about a month or so before I could get it into the shop. To be honest I did not notice a difference before and after the Crank relearn. The BU pulled just as hard as it did before doing the crank relearn, maybe I got lucky and my crank was at TDC when I did the install, so it didn't have to relearn anything It is nice not having the CEL light on though!

Good to see another satisfied VMS client

Comment

I don't believe the relearn will make any difference. The CASE relearn will allow the engine to properly detect a misfire but I don't think it affects the timing or mixture logic in any way.

And I'll be in touch shortly WoodburyDude

-d
                        The ECU wont add the full amount of timing until the crank relearn is done.
                        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                        X