Door locks, help me stop the pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door locks, help me stop the pain

OK, I've searched and seen a couple threads with people posting about the lovely torture devices installed on the sedans... Those door lock posts jab right into the soft part of your arm, and I'm going to find a way to stop that.

I've seen people talk about raising the seat to alleviate the problem, but I'm 6'5". I can raised the seat at the expensive of being able to fit in the car.

So, who's done anything about this yet? My mechanic (and twin brother FWIW) suggested maybe removing the post itself. I guess on a lot of cars you can just unscrew it and pull it out. That does not appear to be the case with the G6.

My own thought was to cut the thing off so it's near flush (1/8" or less maybe?) when locked. Of course that I'd have to find some sort of cap to go over it so it doesn't look like I just got pissed and took a dremel to it or something. I'm planning on heading out this afternoon at some point to see what I might be able to find at NAPA, Walmart, a craft store, whatever... But if anyone has already found something that works I could use some advice.

Back from Advance Auto Parts

OK, I went shopping. The best I could find were vacuum caps, but they looked far too thick to fit over a chopped off lock button. So I did what any good American do-it-yourselfer would do. I grabbed hold of the lock knob and twisted. It didn't come, so I twisted harder, finally it came loose. Interesting setup, there's a metal rod that's essentially twisted into a spiral rather than normal threads. The metal rod comes right up to about flush when the door is locked.

I'll have to see about getting some pictures, but it's pretty obvious once you get the idea. So I bought a variety pack of vacuum caps for $3... One of them fits near perfectly. It's a little loose, so it'll pop up when the doors lock, so I'm experimenting to some automotive contact adhesive and sealant "Amazing Goop" stuff I used on my wife's car to hold and old trim piece in place. Anyways, looks sweet, although the cap does have a little bit of a rubber feel... Then again, you'll likely never feel it since it sinks in flush.

I'm currently looking for batteries for my el-cheapo digital camera, I'll post some pics once I find some.

Comment

cool man, glad you got the problem resolved.

Comment

I'm not sure it's resolved yet, I'm still waiting on the glue to cure. I'm hoping it'll hold. If not I may have an issue, as I really have no idea what sort of glue to use to bond rubber to metal. So if that seems subtle, that's a request for anyone out there that has a good idea to let me know

Anyways, I ran to the store for batteries as I'm not the type to wait for my rechargables to recharge. My camera doesn't do macro very well, so they're a little blurry. The camera was trying to get a picture of the background I think. Anyways, here's the original design for you folks with coupes that may not be familiar with it:

Unlocked:
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... locked.jpg

Locked:

And, since this is my first mod I have to show it...
        Unlocked:

Locked:

And of course the whole car, pretty much stock...
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... mywhip.jpg

Comment

Original unlocked:

Original locked:

Modded unlocked:

Modded locked:

Whole car:

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

man if you dont een want the handle, take the door panel off, and remove the metal rod and cap completely, it will leave a hole in the door, but you can fill that with something so you can really tell

i noticed taht when i was looking at front speakers, but havent decided to take the lock off yet

Comment

Another win for the coupes!

Looks good though, nice work.

Comment

HOLD UPPPPPPPPP

HORSEHEADS?!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Elmira!!!!!!!!!!!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

man if you dont een want the handle...

But I do want it. Although the pics are blurry, the mod looks factory. At this point the glue is cured enough that I'm 90% sure it's good to go. OK, so I can rip the door apart, remove stuff, and try to hide that I did something, but when I can get both sides done for less than $10 including the glue, why bother? It took like 3 minutes, both sides could be done in less than 5.

Another win for the coupes!

Yeah, I test drove a Coupe GT and loved it... But my wife is clausterphobic and wouldn't be able to handle longer trips in it. Besides which, I work 2nd shift and get out of work around the time the bars close... So a cop magnet like a coupe would have me pulled over every week. I got pulled over in my old '94 Grand Am 3 times in 2 weeks due to a light on the rear license plate out. Crazy world.

I live in Elmira!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe... Yeah, I noticed that. Actually it's why I even bothered putting my location into the profile. I'm not the only one locally with a stealth gray sedan, I saw one down by Denny's today coming back from Advance Auto, but I'll wave at you if I see a blue GTP coupe

Comment

Yeah.. I've seen a couple sedans as well.. But i'm the only one with the EBM coupe.. so give me a lil wave

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

OK, I see this has gotten a few hits but no replies. In case it helps anyone, the vacuum caps I got came in a pack of 8 different sizes. 2 of the sizes work, so you can do the back doors as well if you feel the need. From the receipt it looks like the inventory number for what I got is 41050.

They basically look like this:
                      http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList ... acuum+Caps

Common sense here, but test fit them before gluing, some are too short, some are too fat, etc...

I have no idea where my wife found the Automotive Amazing Goop, but any thicker glue that will bond rubber to metal should work... And due to the twist in the metal it may even work if it just bonds to rubber.

Bear in mind the removes the ability to manually unlock the doors... Could be a pretty big problem if the wrong fuse blows or something. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Long as the door lock and window controls aren't on the same fuse. Now, that would be a problem!
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I bought some aftermarket one for my GTP, They were the medal style you would screw on, so I just screw them on and they stay in place. You wouldn't think they would work if you were to look at thembut they do. My are colored in blue. I got mine from Autozone.
                          06 G6 GTP 6sp Silver Sweet !!!!! PONTIAC

Comment

Yeah it is really easy to break into a coup with stock door lock buds did you say you got ones that screw in from autozone?

PS: check out the poll in the new member forum

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                              Yeah it is really easy to break into a coup with stock door lock buds did you say you got ones that screw in from autozone?

Yes I did, They are at auto zone right near the tire custom tire caps for your car. Just put your stock ones off, and twist these on. They look great, but if your worried about break in's then these aren't for you, because you can still grab the top part to put them up with a coat hanger.

PS: check out the poll in the new member forum
                              06 G6 GTP 6sp Silver Sweet !!!!! PONTIAC

Comment

Working...
                              X