Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G6 GT gas mileage increase from taller tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G6 GT gas mileage increase from taller tires?

My first post here as I am buying a 2008 G6 GT sedan tommorrow. My question is this: Since the GT is geared shorter than the non GT G6, I was wondering if putting on slightly taller tires (maybe 5 to 10% taller) would improve the highway mileage by in effect making the gearing taller with the bigger tires?? If anyone has had any experience with taller tires and it's effect on gas mileage, I would appreciate the feedback! I really wanted a non-GT G6 for the better hwy mileage, but I am hoping taller tires can help some. Thanks~

Re: G6 GT gas mileage increase from taller tires?

I'll trade you my V6 model for your GT :P
    2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
    Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

Well, since I haven't gotten mine yet - you've got a deal! Anyway, I drove both a GT and a non-GT today, and DID prefer driving the GT, but it's obvious just by reading the tach that the GT is geared about 10% shorter in the final gear. I understand they want to make the 3.5 feel like it has more pep, but at this point I'd rather have the extra couple of MPG hwy that the regular G6 has. I'm going to probably be upgrading to some nicer looking black 18" wheels and I figured I'd give the taller tires a try. If I do this, I will try to get the computer flashed to recalibrate the speedo too.

Comment

i dont think that taller tires will help MPG any. and bigger wheels is not gonna help either. more mass = more hp required to turn, depending on how much taller then you have some sind resistence as well. every little bit makes a small diff i guess. but thats my take on it.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
        TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
        Show
        -20% tint
        -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
        -Professionally heated seats

Comment

I'm not sure I am going to do the bigger wheels, however, I think the bigger wheels are actually lighter than the stockers (fake chromes) that are on there now. And I wouldn't probably go any wider than stock on the tire, just taller. Not sure there is really much more mass with this setup over what is on there now - i'd bet they are pretty close weight/mass wise. Mainly, it would effectively be geared taller, which is why the non-GT's get a little better mileage. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

how does a tire affect gears in the transmission? the only thing you can do with tires to add MPG is user lower rolling resistance tires.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
            Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
            Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
            -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

It also depends on what type of metal they use for the wheels, alloy = super light = better mpg.

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
              I'm open to other ideas that'll make my car sick awesome super deluxe pro-friggin BOOYAH yo, as long as they're cheap.

Comment

you cant be saving more than 10 lbs a wheel max. so 40lbs tops, thats 1-1.5%, how big of a difference do you really think you'll see. you're better off taming your right foot for mpg increases.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

gas is getting cheap lol no worries be happy

duuuuuu dudu dudu du dududududu dudu dududu dudududu no worries be happy

Comment

a taller tire wll cover more distance with less rotation....hence more miles per rotation. will affect speedo calibration too.... the gauge will be slower than your actual speed.

Also will take ore distance too brake and handling could be affected.

A taller tire will "forgive" more when driving in rough terrain, so you will also have a smoother ride.

Could also rub on the fender.... and you could be in trouble warranty wise becasue you are "tricking" the odometer, at least that the last crap from my dealer....go figure!

Comment

The marginal gain in gas mileage is hardly worth it by changing to a taller tire, considering you will have quite a few negative although sometimes minor trade offs. Braking and acceleration performance are two of the areas that will be particularly affected.

Comment

I'm not sure how many real negative effects would be felt going say 5 to 7% taller. And yes, it does change the "gearing" overall . Every truck I've had in the past I have put bigger taller tires on, and I did the same on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now I fully agree that a bigger, heavier tire will decrease mileage, but my point was a slightly taller (5 to 10%) tire that is the same width really shouldn't have any more drag. It would make a slight difference if the tire/wheel combo was heavier or lighter I agree. I'm going on a 1000 mile road trip shortly after getting this car tommorrow, and I will still be running the stock tires and rims. I'll keep track of my mileage with the stock set up, then if/when I change to a bit taller tire/wheel, I will track that also. I take this 1000 mile trip every month or two, so it will be easy enough to tell if there is an increase, decrease, or not much difference. My opinion is that as long as I don't go with a wider/fatter tire, and the overall tire/wheel weight is very close to the stock set up, that it will make little difference in the "drag" of the tires, but I will get the bit taller gearing that I am looking for.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

Comment

Dunno that a slightly heavier tire will affect mpg considerably, but a lower spinning engine would.

Comment

It's more to do with the way you drive than how you modify your car. I'm getting comparable mileage in my V6 to my friend's 4-cylinder Mazda 3.
                            <-- Gray G6? Click!
                            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                              It's more to do with the way you drive than how you modify your car. I'm getting comparable mileage in my V6 to my friend's 4-cylinder Mazda 3.

I envy you.... or your friend is driving the crap out of that Mazda

I can only DREAM on refueling once a month....like waay back when I had my good trusty 240sx... oh well!!

Comment

Working...
                              X