Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new problem with setup!!

ok here is one for you all

im almost done installing my system, so i go to charge my capacitor....well it gets about 1/4 of the way and wont charge any further

the power wire has 12v, the resistor on the wire has 12v, and the resistor that goes to the + terminal has 12v

but i cant get it to charge about 1/4 of the way, im gonna discharge it tonight and restart the whole process, but any thoughts on this?

Well you are already planing on doing what i was going to suggest, discharge and restart the process. Is this a new capacitor? What kind of capacitor is it? Im guessing it is one of those caps that has a meter on the side of it? Maybe there is a problem with the resistor.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

yeh it is new out of box...dont remember brand off top of head

the resistor cant be bad if getting power on both sides of it

i was thinking maybe it was to strong of a resistor, but it came with the capacitor so you would think it would work

Comment

it should always charge to what it's rated no matter how much voltage, it would just theoretically take longer.....the saturation point will be reached regardless.

i would say either your meter is reading wrong, your cap is faulty, or theres something else that you're not doing quite right?
        Originally posted by colinpeddle
        They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
        That here, by G6er law, we lie
        Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
        THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

meter works, hence how i know the leads have 12v

cap wouldnt charge at all if faulty, and it has some

and im hooking it up right but thanks

Comment

ok so finally got capacitor charged up

the resistor they sent was freakin huge so it would taken forever

on to a new problem...i have power every where and my sub (only testing one right now) is working when i tap into the rear speaker

however, when i go to put on my amp shorts the system out except the one speaker it is spliced into (rear driver side) all other speakers quit working

this only happens when i touch it to my amp, if i leave it unplugged from my amp, everything works fine, and of course it doesnt get much bass cause only getting the factory amp power to all speakers

any ideas?

Comment

no one has any input for this?

Comment

hold on too many run on sentences..

You're touching the speaker wire from the amp to the sub, and the sub works but the other car speakers stop working? Or you have the amp hooked up to the stock speakers? I need a bit more clarification as to what wires are connected to what here.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I'd love to help also, but I don't understand what you are saying.

Comment

yeh i knew that didnt come out right

ok let me try this again while im not working

i spliced my subs into the factory rear speakers, i have one bad sub (passenger side) so we will exclude it from this

anyway when i splice into the factory speakers they work fine, however when i go to take my splice to my aftermarket amp, all my factory speakers quit working besides the rear driver side speaker

does that clear things up?

as long as i dont touch my aftermarket amp, all the factory speakers and my single sub work fine, but as soon as i touch my amp, only one speaker works

Comment

Back in the day i tried hooking some equipment up to a Fact Hu and it kept shutting off the entire system. I was told that the amp was trying to draw more then what the fact Hu could put out, causing it to consistantly shut down during heavy bass or high volume. I am sure that your wires are not crossed, but have you tried swapping the pos and neg on you splice, just to rule that out? Are you running your splice into a converter first or straight into an amp? If you are running straight into an amp and you have a converters layin around, i would try throwing that in there and run rcas or vice versa if your amp allows it. I cant imagine the factory Hu couldnt handle your amp due to the fact i have been runnin a kicker 550.3 or a 600.1 setup in my car with no problems from the Hu. Almost sounds like your amp is trying to draw all the signal from the drivers rear, swap the passenger pos and neg on your splice and see what you get. Just some thoughts :smoke:
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

yeh i have a convertor laying around, i was trying to not hook up as much stuff as possible. as i made my box to fit and it isnt the easiest thing to put in and take out, therefore im doing everything inside the car

the convertor is one of the solutions i thought i try first, if that doesnt work im going to try and unsplice the driver rear and just try the passenger and see if i get the same result, if so then i can go from there and try new things

ill let you know how the convertor goes first though

Comment

I would think the converter would be perfect.. keep stock speakers working perfectly and still get the RCAs for your aftermarket amp and sub combo!!! I used it and works perfect for me, Im not going to competition just for me to listen to while I drive... some nice filler bass!
                          Originally posted by Toyz
                          Originally posted by simplyred
                          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

yeh taht is all i am wanting is some extra bass, nothing huge, im not even gonna crank the baby up

im hoping the convertor fixes all the problems and that the sub i think is bad really isnt, that be nice

Comment

taken care of....now lets get to why i was being such a moron

usually i just tap into the subs outlets in an aftermarket head unit. not wanted to even look to see if the monsoon had rcas for the subs i tapped into the rear speakers, then going to my amp

well as everyone knows, that will create a short...so i take my amp off the back of my box so i can actually visualize what im doing with it, i realize that i havent connected an input...derrrrrr

so i grab that converter i had laying there, hooked it up and ran to the inputs, then my subs to the amp...wow what a miracle, it works now

i would have pictures, but still havent put the face of the box on yet and finished hiding my wires and such

Comment

Working...
                              X