FWD vs. RWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD vs. RWD

I've been a member of a few other forums in the past, and this topic has always been debated. What do you prefer, FWD or RWD? I'm not even going to mention AWD here, just these two.

The reason I bring this up is because lately in car reviews I've been reading, there's usually a 'pros' and 'cons' section, and I always see 'FWD' listed under the 'cons' section. Unless you live in a place where there's no rain or snow, I can't see how you'd enjoy a RWD car.

The worst thing that can happen is you're stuck in the snow trying to accelerate, and the car is going nowhere because there is no weight in the rear of the car to help the tires get traction. My dad used to tell me stories about how all the muscle car guys in his day had to put sandbags in the trunk in the wintertime just so they wouldn't get stuck in the snow.

I myself prefer FWD. After watching a trans am last year trying to get out of parking lot with a few inches of snow, I realized it was the only way to go until I get rich or something where I can afford a RWD car for the summer and a FWD one for the winter

What do you guys think? I always say the horse pulls the carriage, it doesn't push it.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

I prefer RWD in a performance application because torque steer isn't fun, but other than that I really have no opinion

Comment

A RWD car with winter tires is way better in the snow than a FWD one. If you get into a skid with RWD, you can "push" yourself out of it using the throttle. You can not do that with a FWD car, where your only chance is taking your foot off the gas and steering in the right direction while praying that you gain traction before you smack into something. ABS helps with FWD in that application, but it doesn't help much.

RWD is also way better for track use as it's a lot easier to push a car than pull it (more traction on dry pavement).

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I've had RWD muscle cars, still have a 77 Camaro Z28 sitting in the garage and the G6 is my second FWD car. Really it makes no difference to me, I've slid around corners in both cars with no problems. All it boils down to is your ability to drive the vehicles. If you can drive both types of vehicles then it doesn't really matter. Here's a pic of the camaro....

TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I enjoy RWD for sport, but then again, it doesn't snow here in Florida. I agree, you can whip any car around if you know what you're doing. I haven't ever had the 'pleasure' of driving on an iced road so I couldn't tell you any opinion on that. Heck, if it's below 70 degrees I wear a jacket.
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe
          :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
          :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
          :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I agree that it all depends on your ability to drive either application. They both have equal pros and cons in my opinion. however, I do like to drive FWD a little more. I feel like I have more control over where the car goes. Even then though, torque steer is about as queer as the cowboys here in texas.
            Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
            GT-R Exhaust System
            K&N Typhoon CAB
            EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
            EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

Now I'm not gonna fire up a heated conversation or anything but if you've read my previous posts in this thread then you know where I stand. IMO FWD almost has the slightest bit better handling than RWD for controlling the vehicle. Of course torque steer is horrible but its pretty much the same thing if you don't have an air locker or a nice expensive posi in the rear end the car will also vear to one side. So its up to you to decide which one is worse.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I like how the G6 comes with a limited slip differential....
                Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
                GT-R Exhaust System
                K&N Typhoon CAB
                EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
                EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

It does??? Cool!

Anyways, I like AWD the best.

Speaking of AWD (momentary Hijack bitches....)

I was looking over a certain "VersaTrac AWD" equipped car at a junkyard yesterday- an 05 Rendevous Ultra with the 3500 V6. Looking at the tans on the Oversized Rollerskate, they appear to be the same as the G6's (just appear, no technical analysis involved with "appear"). The G6 has the same looking Trans Case as the redevous (appears). The suspension set up is VERY similar in the front of both cars as well. I'm curious if somehow the AWD system from this Rendevous could be fabbed and rigged to work on the G6? Would definetly require the rear suspension components, CV's, Axles, and hubs fromthe Rendevous, the drive shaft fromthe rednevous (which would need an extension as the G6 is longer), the transfer case formt he rendevous looks to bolt right to the housing, I would assume teh wriing for the ABS, AWD, traction control, etc would coincide with teh G6 (since they use the same motor). Custom fuel cell would be required. I'd sleep better if I stopped thiking as much as I do.. lol :cry:
                  Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                  2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                  w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

As always, anything is possible if you have enough money. :P

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                      As always, anything is possible if you have enough money. :P
                      Guess that scraps that idea for me.. lol.

Comment

aww lol, thats what they always used to tell everyone at the jbody.org forum was blah blah blah...if you have enough money. Then again it is the truth since huge mods like the AWD you are talking about would takes some cash-prolly a lot. Then again it you get it done you'd be the only AWD G6 probably to ever roam the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                          you'd be the only AWD G6 probably to ever roam the streets.
                          NOw that right there is the reason I do things.. being the only one.

....It's mod's like this that make me LOVE my credit cards, lol. :P

Comment

That would be sweet, but I can imagine the drivetrain loss on that one.
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                              That would be sweet, but I can imagine the drivetrain loss on that one.
                              That is true, I didn't even think about that. Nice point.

Comment

Working...
                              X