This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT noise *

not sure if its just physics, maybe restrictive intake but it doesnt sound like it.

Under WOT at high RPMS, I hear this high pitched oscillating noise. Sounds like a slipping drive belt but no symptoms of it. Its weird...any of you get that noise : its pretty annoying, even though its loud I hear it and thats what matters haha.
    jeff
    05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
    90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
    1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
    F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

I have heard it too. The noise went away when I took the resonator out of the intake. Go figure.
    Straight up Pimp Trollin'
    2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
    w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

I know at around 5700 the 3400's used to change pitch, it sounded like valve float.
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by CoupeOfG6
        I have heard it too. The noise went away when I took the resonator out of the intake. Go figure.
        interesting, very interesting...a task for me on saturday.

Originally posted by blackrider
        I know at around 5700 the 3400's used to change pitch, it sounded like valve float
        yea I have yet to look into our head design, this is my first domestic car so I have some catching up to do in how they do things.
        jeff
        05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
          I know at around 5700 the 3400's used to change pitch, it sounded like valve float.
          I remember that!! My sister had a 00 Grand Am GT that she had me look at that made a funny noise like you explain around that range.

The noise you are speaking of though happen regardless of RPM range. You could be sitting at a light and slam the gas pedal and be at 1500rpms and here the noise. I think getting loud exhaust + loud audio + loud intake will solve your issues. That may solve my sunroof rattle issue, too! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by CoupeOfG6

The noise you are speaking of though happen regardless of RPM range. You could be sitting at a light and slam the gas pedal and be at 1500rpms and here the noise. I think getting loud exhaust + loud audio + loud intake will solve your issues. That may solve my sunroof rattle issue, too! :mrgreen:
            hmm i only hear mine at high RPMS, i think...now i am second guessing myself. Yea I am looking for the intake resonator post to see what ya'll did, still looking.
            and with all that noise I cant hear my cell phone ring haha. But im deaf from the flightline anyways
            jeff

Comment

Here ya go. Scroll down to like the 4th post- explains where it is. Pretty simple.

Comment

Definitely try taking the resonator out, you should see how tiny the air hole is in that thing, I'm sure the sound is just the engine choking to death at high RPM's trying to suck through more air than it can.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

awesome guys, we should make that one thread a sticky in the how-to section?
                  jeff

Comment

This isn't the case on the 3.9 too is it? Because with my intake resonator removed, at WOT the car sounds bad@$$!

Mike
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I'm sure its even worse on the 3.9 since its a larger engine sucking in more air since I think the stroke of the 3.9 is longer?? Anyways moral of the story is get the resonator out and let the car breathe easier, even if you leave the stock airbox get that resonator out. It would be like us trying to breathe through a straw while running around the block.
                      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                        It would be like us trying to breathe through a straw while running around the block.
                        ive done that, for 10 miles before...i was ok...until i lost my straw but ours were like the coffee stir straws all like pin hole and crap...good times.
                        jeff

Comment

Originally posted by spoolinturbo
                          Originally posted by LoJac963
                          It would be like us trying to breathe through a straw while running around the block.
                          ive done that, for 10 miles before...i was ok...until i lost my straw but ours were like the coffee stir straws all like pin hole and crap...good times.
                          jeff
                          Sounds like some memories of mine in College.

Comment

so is the whistle bad or good?
                            Mobil 1 Synthetic, 15% tint

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2592600

Comment

Old thread revival. This is one I cleaned too! It's a whistle, neither good or bad.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X