Need advice on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on wheels

I am trying to find some wheels for my G6 but I can't find anything in Tulsa, OK. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll appreciate it.

-2005 GT
    -GT-R Exhaust
    -Dr Speed Stage 3 CAI
    -Eibach Lowering Springs
    -18" ASA JS5 on Sumitomo HTR+
    -20% Window Tint
    -Vector Motorsport Tune

wheels & rims

I would recommend checking out Tire Rack (tirerack.com) They have 23 different wheels listed for the G6.

edit: here's a direct link showing the available wheels.

Sedan: http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/ ... toModClar=

Coupe: http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/ ... toModClar=
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Thanks a lot. Just order the ASA JS5 with Continental ContiWinterContact TS790 V. Will get summer tires when the time comes I guess. Picks to come in about 10 days.... BTW, will get 1.5 lowering springs and shocks locally before the wheels and tires get here... Can't wait

-2005 GT
      -GT-R Exhaust
      -Dr Speed Stage 3 CAI
      -Eibach Lowering Springs
      -18" ASA JS5 on Sumitomo HTR+
      -20% Window Tint
      -Vector Motorsport Tune

Comment

wheels

Hey you can get them from rtwheels.com, ask for tim. He carries american racing and many others. He shipped ours straight to the door with tires mounted and ready to install. Check them out on my g6. Tim is a great guy to work with. I'll even give you his phone number to call him direct. You can also check them out on ebay. I think mine were about $1150.00 to the door including lug nuts. I'm using the kuhmo 235x45x18's. They are just a 1/4" taller then the stock 17" tires. That keeps your speedo within a mile per hour. Tim's number at rtwheels is 330-629-9800. He is located in Ohio.
        Hey, this is Amanda, check out my G6 Coupe on cardomain.com It has a cool wing from spoilers-direct.com. Motegi Racing DV5 chrome 18x8's and Kuhmo SPT performance tires. I'll be adding eibach prokit in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by lberrios
          Thanks a lot. Just order the ASA JS5 with Continental ContiWinterContact TS790 V. Will get summer tires when the time comes I guess. Picks to come in about 10 days.... BTW, will get 1.5 lowering springs and shocks locally before the wheels and tires get here... Can't wait
          who are you going through for the springs?
          jeff
          05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
          90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
          1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
          F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Comment

I just ordered some AXIS MOD 18" x7.5 with Hankook Ventus Sport K104
            245/45ZR/18...will those mess with the speed odometer any? they look nice no lowering springs yet..will post some pics ASAP.

http://www.axiswheels.com

Comment

wheels/tires

That might be a problem for your anti-lock brakes. My dad checked into that with our dealer, we know the service manager pretty well. Your tire is going to be about 1 inch taller then the stock wheel/tire your have on your car now, assuming you have the 17 inch package. That will throw your speedo off 4-5 mph at 70 mph. I know, how does a girl know this, my dad went thru this with his 300c when he went to 22's. His tire was a little over an inch taller. He checked it with a gps and thats about how far off his was. Our service manager said it may affect the brakes the most and it will change your gear ratio because the tire is so much taller then stock. Your speedo will show that you are traveling slower then your really are. The tires we put on my g6 are only a 1/4 inch taller and didn't affect anything. We used the Kumho 235-45-18 spt. Decent tire at a decent price. About 140 each. Gotta go and good luck. By the way, if you ever want to get good data on tires, just go to the tirerack web site and click on tires by size. Put in the tire you are interested in and it will give you all the tires they sell in that size. Click on the specs for that size and you get all the data as far as width, height, wheel size recommendations, etc.
              see ya
              Hey, this is Amanda, check out my G6 Coupe on cardomain.com It has a cool wing from spoilers-direct.com. Motegi Racing DV5 chrome 18x8's and Kuhmo SPT performance tires. I'll be adding eibach prokit in the near future.

Comment

i kinda figured the speedo was off cuz it is 27miles to my work and now trip says 23miles just wish i knew by how much..as far as the braking goes it was to be as expected with a beigger wheel anyways they fit quite nicely though...is there anything i can do for the speedo though? when i geared my TA it knocked the speedo off 10mph and i still havent foudn anyone to fix that...

oh and mine is an 05 with 16inch tire package the only difference in what u got and wat i got is tire width urs are 235/45/18 and mine are 245/45/18
                think mine may be off a lil, i have a friend with a radar gun i'll haev him clock me on several passes at slow and high speeds..thx for the info..didnt mean to get off topic..

actually did a re-evaluation of the miles dont think its off by 4 miles but made it to work at 26.2

Comment

Yeah, I think she got a little confused. The only difference between your tires and hers are that yours are wider. Your biggest problem from those tires might be them rubbing when you cut the wheel really hard or if you hit a hard bump you might also get some tire rub depending on how loose your suspension is and how far they protrude.

I use to have a '92 Chevy Beretta that I put 205/50/15's on and they eventually started to rub as my suspension got softer from the constant additional weight of my subwoofer box, amps, etc. in the trunk.

If you've gotten around to taking some pics of your new rims and tires, please post them.

Kevin.
                  -Kevin
                  2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                  2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

seems like a lot of hassle for some different size wheels, post some pics when you can fellers!!
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

**singing** "Here I come to save the day"

Here is a link that you input stock tire/rim size vs. plus sizing to figure out how much if any your speedometer is off!! Might want to make this a sticky or something in another section?!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.htm
                      Originally posted by Toyz
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

**singing** "Here I come to save the day"

Here is a link that you input stock tire/rim size vs. plus sizing to figure out how much if any your speedometer is off!! Might want to make this a sticky or something in another section?!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.htm
                        Thanks for posting this as I'm sure it will come in handy when I start shopping for my rims, but unfortunately for me I get an "Error 404: File Not Found"
                        -Kevin
                        2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
                        2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

try just going to the http://www.miata.net then finding the tirecalc under there if no one posts a correct link.
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

yeah I reposted it in the wheelse section... at theend of the htm put an "L"
                            Originally posted by Toyz
                            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Confused, na I know my stuff. His stock tire height is 26.1, it should be a 215-60-16. The 245-45-18 is 26.8, thats about 3/4". I based my original figures on my tire, which was 25.9, thats a 17" wheel and tire package. According to pontiac/gm that can affect your abs and I absolutely know it will affect your speedo. Now, may I expain the tire numbers. The first number on the tire, such as the 215, thats the width, the second number is the height, which would be the 60, a 60 series tire is tall than a 50 series in the same wheel size. (16 or 17) The wheel can also affect the section width of the tire, the wider the wheel, the more it will stretch the section width of the tire, which is the side wall. So, you are correct that the tire would be wider since it is a 245, but, the sizes can change with different tire combinations. You can go to any tire manufacturer and they will have the specs for each tire. My tires are about 1/4" taller then stock, on the gps its not even 1 mile per hour at 70. However, all tire companies have slightly different specs. There can be 2 to 3 tenths of an inch from company to company. I hope you pick the correct tire/wheel combo that you like. If you have the small engine, 4 banger, almost an inch will probably affect the engines performance, especially when putting the pedal to the metal. I don't brag, but, I had to learn this stuff, we've owned over 65 cars and trucks and almost all have had custom wheels and tires. My dad can't leave any car/truck alone. Check out our garage on cardomain. Good luck on the package, if you already have it. Well hope it works out. Hey, thats why this forum is here, anybody that has valuable info on these cars or mods should give up the info and we will all benefit from it. I don't know everything about the g6 and I want to learn all I can. I think I have my numbers correct. If I missed something, let it bleed. I'm a big girl and I'll take my medicine.

see ya and have a good weekend, I'm going too. Budlight for everybody.

Comment

Working...
                              X