• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 BMW M3 Spy Photos

2006 BMW M3 Spy Photos

Full Text: http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos. ... bmw/1.html
    Author: Przemek Lis

Seen here driving on the German Nürburgring is the first prototype of BMW's much anticipated M3. These photos confirm our original report (see story below) of a 4 door M3 being brought back into the model range since the E36 platform. We also reported the M3 would receive a V8 engine. If you look closely at the hood you'll notice the entire center has been sectioned out and replaced with a specially fabricated cover. It cannot be determined from these photos if the cover is steel or another material, however, it is clear that the purpose of this modification is to compensate for a larger engine. Other indicators of this prototype's intentions can be seen in the massive cross-drilled front and rear brake rotors as well as dual split exhaust pipes carefully hidden under the rear bumper fascia. Unfortunately this prototype is not having a full dress rehearsal since M3 styled front and rear fascias are absent as standard 3 Series bumpers take their place.

Original Story from 02/28/2005

In 2006 BMW will kick it up a notch in the sports coupe market with the much anticipated next generation E90 M3. Both Coupe and Cabriolet models are planned with a new addition of a 4 door sedan not seen since the E36 platform.

The initial idea considered was a 4 door M3 saloon and a 2 door M4 coupe. But recently BMW has changed their minds and keep the legendary M3 coupe alive. Internal pressure from the BMW board was too great to kill it off. Therefore, the M3 coupe, M3 saloon and an M3 cabriolet in addition to an M4 2 door coupe/cabriolet will be developed. Did you get all that?

(Edit: The M4 will be a coupe/cabriolet = 2 door coupe with folding hardtop)

The M3 coupe will feature a 6 Series like glasshouse with the possibility of a new distinct interior. The front will sport a new aggressive yet subtle bumper while the rear will display quad exhausts like the new M5. Power will come from a new lightweight V8 producing around 400hp and uses the latest dual-VANOS variable valve timing system. New engine building technology and lightweight materials mean the engine should amazingly weigh the same as the outgoing 3.2 liter in-line 6 cylinder from the current E46 M3 but with considerably more power.

During early testing of the cabriolet version of the 3 series BMW experimented with both a normal canvas roof and a hard folding top but decided on the canvas due to weight savings and maintenance.

The new M3 is slated to arrive in early 2006 with a 2005 Frankfurt debut and the cabriolet will have a Geneva 2006 debut with sales beginning in summer 2006. The SMG transmission will come standard and a CSL version of the coupe with excess of 420hp is being planned as well.

The M4 will also feature theV8 engine mentioned above in the M3 and should go on sale later. No further details are known. A concept for the regular 4 Series is slated for Frankfurt in September.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

I was going to get a yellow 2003 M3... 44 thousand dollars.. But I got my G6.. much better choice.. haha..
    Stealth Grey G6 GT Coupe::Flowmaster duals with GTP valence:: Luminics Lows and Fogs::

Comment

lol agreed about the G6, so funny though :P
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

the m3 has been one of my favorite cars since i really got into cars...
        that will probably be my next car!
        -Amanda
        2006 G6 GT
        "The G Spot" lol
        loaded and all that good stuff (-onstar and XM)
        Sirius Sportster Replay
        2 Alpine 12's, Alpine Amp....yea I'm cool.

Comment

old m3 were way overpriced for what you got in the engine, like 40 grand for only 300 hp

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
          Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
          Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
          -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Am I the only person that thinks that the new 3 series all look like hopped up Hyundai's? I was driving beside a 3 series on the QEW today and was really thinking of an Accent or a Sonata or something while I was looking at it.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Used to love the M3, but now the only one I'd want to get is the M6... but like I could ever afford that.

Comment

I used to drive the old 3 series and quite a few people thought it was a Civic.
                I have also mistaken the new Jetta as a Corolla. Worse still, I always mistaken the G5 and the Neon as the G6 and vice versa. I can't believe I would mistaken my car for something else. There are just too many similiar looking cars out there.

Comment

Only people who don't know what an M car is would get confused as to what it is. The last gen M3's, 4.5s 0-60 and low 13 in the 1/4, I'm pretty sure I could have in fun in all that wasted money.
                  BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                  ^ The Man
                  v The Legend

Comment

Working...
                  X