This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 SPEED STIFF SHIFTER

I own a 6 speed GTP Coupe. I would like to know if anyone had problems with some stiffness in changing speed. Mine is very hard to shit from 1st to 2nd, from 2nd to third and into 6th. Same problems when downshifting. Dealer just can't get to fix the problem. If any one had the same, I woukd likw to know what is the solution. Thanks.
    Ex-6 SPEED, GTP COUPE... ALMOST AS FAST AS A '79 L-82 CORVETTE WITH 4 SPEED MANUAL, WHICH WAS BEATING A 911 IN IT'S TIME.

This is the first I've heard of this. Do you mean it won't go into gear or the shifter itself is difficult to maneuver?
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I read in one of the other G6 forums that people had trouble shifting, it was a little difficult to move the shifter or something.

Mike
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Difficulty Shifting

I had a similar issue with my '03 5-Speed Sebring Converible. The shifting would be difficult between certain gears. Dealer couldn't really do anything with it. It goes away (Wears In) after a few thousand miles and the shifting becomes easier. Either that or my arm got stronger
        I wouldn't worry to much I suspect you to will find it will get better over time.
        Jay
        '06-G6-V6

Comment

Double post just in case.

I'm going through the same issue, and here is where I stand.

Randomly when shifting from first to second or second to third the gears wont sync causing grinding, sometime is a small amount sometime it just refuses to go in gear, but that’s rare. Also downshifting into first can be really stiff. No other problems with 4th 5th or 6th. The problem is more apparent when cold.

First time I took it in they couldn’t reproduce the problem, so the next day I went out for a drive with the service manager and he noticed it when I pointed it out to him. I was going to be at sea for 2 days so I left the car with them, and they found was a part missing on the linkage witch was causing the issue.

Currently they're not able to order in the part so they had to order an entire transmission from the factory. Being Christmas time they estimated that it would be 3 weeks for it come, witch I have no problem with because I’m heading home for 3 weeks tomorrow and the car is completely drivable.

I’ll keep you updated.
          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Replace the transmission? Damn. Makes me glad I got the auto.

Mike
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
              Replace the transmission? Damn. Makes me glad I got the auto.

Mike
              They aren’t replacing anything, they’re just taking the part off and putting it on mine its an easy job. The factory wouldn’t take the part off and send it to them. Don't think the 4T65-E is problem free to, just go over to club GP and ask them. I don’t regret getting the 6 speed one bit, I’m sick of autos, the 6 speed is faster and more fun to drive IMO.
              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R
                  What type of fluid is in the tranny ? If the weather gets cold and the car parks outside over nite the fluid (oil) can become thicker (non synthetic) causing the shift to feel a bit stiff. I would check the trannys compatibility in using a synthetic fluid. Lighter viscosity synthetics offer excellent lubrication, and don't become thicker in cold enviroments.
                  They use Castrol BOT 0063, I'm pretty sure its a synthetic.
                  2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                  334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

autos can keep up with the best of 'em :P
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                    X