This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed limiter

My GT cuts out at about 130. Feels like a fuel system cut.

Speed is limited by the computer, and should be roughly related to the speed rating of your tires (limit corporate liability in our sue-happy society).

Comment

Why does everyone want to delete the governor? Do you really need to go faster than 115MPH?
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Comment

Good luck with that...
          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

I have to agree that there really is no need to go any faster than 115 MPH, however, when I picked up my 06' GTP Coupe in Kansas and had a 7 hour drive back to Texas, I was kind of pissed off that it cut off there. Was very pleased with handling though.
            Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
            GT-R Exhaust System
            K&N Typhoon CAB
            EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
            EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

being stationed in florida i do a lot of traveling in my bmw I set cruise at 135-140 so yes i need it. I just did a trip to tallahassee and got it up to 110 but didnt feel needed to go higher cause some cars completely shut off which is dangerous at those speeds of course
              jeff
              05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
              90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
              1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
              F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Comment

Originally posted by spoolinturbo
                being stationed in florida i do a lot of traveling in my bmw I set cruise at 135-140 so yes i need it. I just did a trip to tallahassee and got it up to 110 but didnt feel needed to go higher cause some cars completely shut off which is dangerous at those speeds of course
                jeff
                At those kinds of speed you’re not only a danger to your self but other drivers. Speed limits exist for a reason and yes even I speed some times but that’s just getting crazy. But I’m not going to lecture you, you obviously know what you’re doing.
                2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Does anyone know????

So does anyone know if the speed limitor can be changed? My G6 GTP stops at 115 and that is very dissapointing. My friend's 1997 127hp honda civic can do 125mph. Pretty sad that a 9 year ould civic can beat my bran new 240 hp car. Is there a way to change the speed sensor if I was to get v or w rated tires that can handle higher speeds? Does anyone here have a G6 that doesn't cut off at 115? If so did you buy your car with the "summer only tires" Option? Thank you.

Comment

Re: Does anyone know????

Originally posted by camaro1990
                    So does anyone know if the speed limitor can be changed? My G6 GTP stops at 115 and that is very dissapointing. My friend's 1997 127hp honda civic can do 125mph. Pretty sad that a 9 year ould civic can beat my bran new 240 hp car. Is there a way to change the speed sensor if I was to get v or w rated tires that can handle higher speeds? Does anyone here have a G6 that doesn't cut off at 115? If so did you buy your car with the "summer only tires" Option? Thank you.
                    you can not change the speed sensor, it most new vehicles they are located on the hub assembly, so changing the tires is fine. And you cannot remove it because your cars engine lights would come on, and theres probably 3 other fail safes that would be setting off every alarm on the car. The limiter in most cars I have owned can be eliminated by simply cutting a wire. Others cannot and are integrated into the ECU. So a chip is required. Like our cars deliver fuel cut to the motor at certian speeds so it could be a wire to eliminate that signal from reaching the ECU. tommorrow if I wake up early enough I am going to go to the pontiac dealer or see if I can find it online and get a wire diagram or just make a million phone calls. So trust me im ontop of it.
                    jeff

they can be removed to be changed, but a different one wont do anything. sorry re-read what I wrote.
                    05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)

Comment

there's a limiter of 115 on the GTP? You gotta be kidding me.

Mike
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82

Mike
                        its prob cause thats what it was on the grandam.
                        jeff

Comment

Mike
                          jeff
                          the grand-am didn't have 240hp though

Mike
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Mike
                            jeff
                            the grand-am didn't have 240hp though

Mike
                            haha i feel ur pain i feel ur pain. im workin on it no worries.
                            jeff

Comment

Think of it as the difference between you having fun and you going to jail, large fines, and loss of license ECT.
                              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X