X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Opening the Headlights

2005-2006 Pontiac G6 Headlight Mod How-To
    By Mike Majdanski

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible for any damage that may occur to your headlights or vehicle while or after performing this modification. The following information is provided for informational purposes only.

Tools required:
    Two (2) screwdrivers, preferably flatheads.
    1 Torx wrench (T-20x4”)
    Heat source (optional), such as a hairdryer
    Extra silicone sealant (optional)

NOTE: Before performing this mod, you may want to remove all the bulbs so that they don’t break by accident. There’s the lo-beam, hi-beam, signal, and running light (by the reflector on the side).

Ok, so the first thing you must do is get the headlight out. If you’re not sure how to do this, there are instructions in the owner’s manual. Once you pry that baby out, you’re good to go.

Look over the headlight carefully. There are a few things on here that could break off while performing this modification. While you don’t really want anything to break, it may happen and that’s life. The parts that may break, however, will not have any serious effects on the headlight.

The first thing you have to get off is the weatherstrip. It is held on by a total of five plastic “knobs” on the back of the headlight. Identify the in the pictures below.

You may snap a few of these while removing the weatherstrip. It’s nearly impossible not to. But if you do, it’s no big deal putting a little superglue or silicone on them to hold them down. Here’s a tip, get a small flathead screwdriver and put it between the weatherstrip piece by the knob and the headlight. Carefully twist the screwdriver a little to try and pry the plastic on the weatherstrip up and over the knob. Once you pry them all up, you can pull the weatherstrip off.

You’ll encounter some silicone on the side of the headlight by the reflector, so pull it off carefully, you don’t want to rip it.

Here’s the headlight with the weatherstrip off.

Now you need to separate the headlight. You must take this part slowly and carefully. Now, I’ve taken apart headlights before so I knew how to pry them apart, but if you want to make the job a little easier, get a hairdryer to heat up the edges around the headlight. If the silicone sealant is warmed up it will separate easier. You want to start at the side of the headlight where the amber reflector is. Take a flathead screwdriver and insert it in between the two parts on the headlight as shown

Now move the screwdriver back and forth, you will see the headlight start to separate. Notice the little black plastic clip that holds the other part of the headlight on. There are a few of these on both sides of the light. You have to pry this clip up and over the clear part it holds on or else it will break. Just take the a screwdriver and insert it under the clip. Lightly twist it until it starts to come up. Now with the other screwdriver, continue to pry the headlight apart, while at the same time twisting the other screwdriver to pop the clip off the little clear knob on the other half of the light. Again, it’s really no big deal if you break these little clips.

Now, take a second screwdriver, and insert it further down towards the center of the light, and pry that section open. You need to keep moving the two screwdrivers down further and further until you reach the other end of the headlight. And don’t forget to pop up the little black clips you encounter. I believe there are three on each side (top and bottom).

Once you get the end of the headlight, go back to the other side where you started (by the reflector), and work on the bottom of that side. Insert the screwdrivers and start to pry it apart.

Continue along with bottom the same way you did the top, carefully prying the headlights apart and popping up the little black clips. Once you get towards the end you’ll be able to just pull the headlight apart with your hands, and you’ll have the following:

Now that the lights are apart, you can do what you wish with them. You can remove the assembly in the clear half of the light with the reflectors on them. There are two more torx screws holding that down.

Once you remove the screws, you may have a tough time taking out that chrome piece. Look at the top of the light, there are notches in the chrome piece that fit into plastic pieces on the clear cover. You need to pop them out (just pull them). To get this chrome piece out, you have to use a little force, but be careful not to break it. Start pulling at the smaller end of the light (opposite the side with the reflector). You should be able to pull that side up first. Then pull along with top and move towards the corner where the reflector is. There may be some silicone holding the chrome piece in so you’ll need to run the screwdriver between the chrome piece and the clear cover to separate it. Then you should be able to pull out that side of the chrome piece.

The circular reflector is also held in by two torx screws, you can remove this if you wish. Or you can just take off the amber part and put the circular chrome part back in screw it down.

You can also remove the other amber reflector. It snaps in, so just take a flathead screwdriver, insert it between the reflector and the chrome piece where the little notches are, and twist it slightly. It will pop right out.

Reassembling the Headlights

Reassembling the headlights is just a matter of putting the chrome piece that you removed back in the headlight and sealing it up. You may need some extra silicone if you removed a lot of it while opening the lights. If there is still a significant amount left on both pieces, just heat them up to get the silicone soft, line up the two halves with each other, and squeeze them together. Make sure you remember to place the little black plastic clips over the clear knobs on the clear part of the headlight. Then place the weather strip on, over the black knobs on the back of the headlight, and use an adhesive on the knobs that broke off to hold the weatherstrip on. And that’s all there is to it! If you have any questions about this mod, feel free to email me at mikemaj82@hotmail.com or PM me at GTPGuy82. Good luck and happy modding!

Mike
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Bump... I have gotten a few pm's in the last week or so about this mod.. heres the write up on pretty much exactly how I did it or pretty much how we all did it haha.

ALSO heres the link to some information about modding the headlights that you should read before hand just FYI

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2748
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I just found this tid bit of info also:

Hey guys, well after seeing this topic discussed over and over again and a lot of you guys having problems with fogging I think its time for you all to know a little secret that I came across whilst having my headlights cleared and then later retrofitted at the local body shop.
      Well a lot of people can successfully open their headlights to clear them but it’s the putting them back part that is more tedious than most of you would think. Over the years people have used silicone to put the headlight back together.
      Most of us use the usual adhesive silicone to put the headlights together. The problem with adhesive silicone is that it has a nasty fume, which is not only toxic but also can cause fogging inside the headlight, which sometimes can be confused with fogging due to leakage or improper sealing. Another problem with using adhesive silicone is its property to adhere. Compared to the factory silicone which can easily be removed by applying heat adhesive silicone can not be easily removed. If you use adhesive silicone and you run into leakage or fogging you will need to reseal the headlight and once you try to open it up it wont be as simple as it was with the factory silicone. So the bottom line is to avoid adhesive silicone at all cost, only do it if you think you will not be opening the headlight later.
      Now, there is another way of doing this, by using non adhesive sealing silicone. This is the type II silicone. This silicone doesn’t have the nasty fume that the adhesive silicone has but can be used to seal the headlights. The problem with this type of silicone is that it doesn’t adhere. If you use this type of silicone you will need to use clamps, these clamps can be bought from the local home depot etc. But the problem is that you would need to leave the headlights with clamp on them for at least 2 to 3 days. I know that this silicone doesn’t sound very promising so I wouldn’t suggest it. So that takes both of these silicones out of the equation.
      Now you must be asking yourself, what the hell am I suppose to use then if I can’t use either of these two silicones. Well worry not because there is a solution and it is the Nissan Butyl rubber part # B655389915. This is the same stuff that auto makers use to seal the headlights. It basically is silicone but it comes in a roll. You can pick it up from your local Nissan dealership; prices vary from dealership to dealership anywhere from $18 to $30. The best place to buy this stuff i.e. cheap is from the link provided bellow. The website offers it for $16 plus shipping. One roll is usually enough for a pair of headlights. Before using this stuff you need to make sure that you take out as much of the old silicone out as possible. Once you have the channel cleared take the Nissan silicone stretch it a little bit so that the bead can fit in properly and fully in the channel. Once you have laid the silicone heat it in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes and put the lens back on. I strongly suggest you use a few clamps to hold it in place, leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes or so and you are good to go.

Another question of mine is why has no one mentioned putting each headlight in the oven at 300 for say 9-10 mins? This might soften up the factory seal enough to where maybe the stress marks won't appear later on?
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

If you do get the stress marks in the plastic what you can do it take a heat gun and go over that area for few minutes, and that should make them disappear. Not a hair dryer because that won't do squat.

Comment

just to add

there are 3 tabs that hold the clear plastic to the chrome shield

also the reason it takes force is that the place where the 2 screws are held can get stuck on the actually screw hole, watch for those areas and pull the clear lense away and it should pop loose from those spots

rest should be easy cheesy

Comment

so ummmmm, how important do you all think the two screws are that hold in the chrome trim part?

i forgot to put that back in one of the trim pieces and already sealed my lights

i dont think it is important but thought i would ask

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
              so ummmmm, how important do you all think the two screws are that hold in the chrome trim part?

i forgot to put that back in one of the trim pieces and already sealed my lights

i dont think it is important but thought i would ask
              if any sealant got on that piece when you sealed it, it should be fine. Usually it will seep in between the two separate pieces and get onto the chrome trim piece, so once it dries it'll be pretty tight.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Re: How-To Opening the Headlights

this is more of a pain in the ass than i thought. i dont know how everyone else is doing it but im taking a hat gun and then trying to shove her in there all nice and deep and pry but uhm.. im getting stress marks on the back and in some cases just breakin. im worried to go to far and end up bust up my S#!^ so i stopped.. any suggestions?
                Car: 2007 G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic

Comment

Don't work on 07+ headlights.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

are u serious dude?

Comment

yeah, i linked you to this thinking you had the black sealant headlights. if u do some more searching ull realize that you can only separate the 05/06 black sealant headlights. you can buy em for 163 a pair shipped. talk to JP about it
                      sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

grrrrrrr. dang it. ok looks like im gettin new head lights hahah

Comment

Quick question, do those caps on the back seal up the headlight too? Or are they just like a dust cover? I just put in HID and I dont know how it will fit back on.
                          2007 Black/Black Coupe GTP
                          Mods: Black w/red stripe MSR 045s, CRAB Intake 3+4, Black Badge Overlays, GM STB, 35% Tint all the way around, Tinted Tails, Black Headlights with 6000k L.E.D. Halos and 6000k HID Lows, Black Recessed Grilles

Comment

ur supposed to drill out a hole large enough for the hid parts to go through in the dust cover....then u use the rubber seal and attach it to the hole you made.
                            2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
                            Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
                            Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
                            Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

Alright. Thanks for the help!
                              2007 Black/Black Coupe GTP
                              Mods: Black w/red stripe MSR 045s, CRAB Intake 3+4, Black Badge Overlays, GM STB, 35% Tint all the way around, Tinted Tails, Black Headlights with 6000k L.E.D. Halos and 6000k HID Lows, Black Recessed Grilles

Comment

Working...
                              X