HOW TO: REMOVE G6 FRONT BUMPER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: REMOVE G6 FRONT BUMPER

I dont know if there has been a post like this already but I keep getting asked how to remove the front bumper and so I decieded to write up a walk thorugh.

Before we begin, this walk through is the SAME for GXP front bumper owners as well.

Now what you'll need is this:
    Tools: socket wrench + extension
    7mm socket
    10mm socket
    Needle nose pliers
    wire cutter
    flathead screwdriver (-)

STEP 1: Park on a level surface cause you will be working underneath the front end, and open your Hood.

STEP 2: REMOVE the Plastic push pins indicated using the flathead screw driver to pop up the head and remove the rest with your hands, there should be 6x push pins removed.

STEP 3: Underneath the car now remove the 7mm screws with your 7mm socket and wrench and the Plastic "Christmas Tree" push pins with the needle nose pliers, pry them out (they are a pain in the ass). Also unplug your foglight wires from the foglight bulbs if your G6 has Fog-lights, there should be a total of 4x "christmas tree" push pins and 7x 7mm screws from the bottom removed.

STEP 4: On the Driver side wheel well remove the 7mm screw and the 10mm screw with your socket wrench, the 10mm screw might require to use the wrench extension!! Remove the "christmas tree" push pins with the needle nose pliers **NOTE: These plastic push pins are REALLY HARD to remove from the wheel well, what I did was cut the heads off with the Wire Cutter and replaced them with new ones when the bumper was going back on.** There should be a total of 1x 7mm screw and 1x 10mm screw and 3x "christmas tree" push pins on this side.

STEP 5: On the Passenger side wheel well remove the 7mm screw and the 10mm screw with your socket wrench, the 10mm screw might require to use the wrench extension!! Remove the "christmas tree" push pins with the needle nose pliers **NOTE: These plastic push pins are REALLY HARD to remove from the wheel well, what I did was cut the heads off with the Wire Cutter and replaced them with new ones when the bumper was going back on.** There should be a total of 1x 7mm screw and 1x 10mm screw and 3x "christmas tree" push pins on this side.

STEP 6: GENTLY Pull the bumper corners from the wheel well out-ward to unhook the bumper from the supporting brackets on each side of the car, **NOTE: You might need a second person to help you with this so you dont scratch the bumper** and Remove the bumper aside.

And there you have it, to install the bumper repeat the steps backwards.

Re: HOW TO: REMOVE G6 FRONT BUMPER

Must be pretty easy to remove the intake resonator that way too

Great write-up btw.

Comment

I keep forgetting to ask but why take the intake resonator off? Does it really make much of a difference?

Comment

Unless you have a fenderwell intake, there's really no reason to take it off. It makes the car a bit louder. That's about it.

Comment

Holy rust batman!!!

nice writeup!!

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
            Unless you have a fenderwell intake, there's really no reason to take it off. It makes the car a bit louder. That's about it.
            I noticed that after I removed the resonater I saw my track time improve. I think the resonater intrupts the airflow and hurts power by a little bit.

Comment

Wow really nice write up. I think I'll use this to remove my intake resonator.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

beautiful write up... took me about 20 minutes of figuring out what the hell was holding it on each time i took a set of ish off hahaha

so

intercooler goes where =P

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

LOL no problem ya I had that problem then, now I can figure out which bolt/screw goes back where

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                      Holy rust batman!!!

nice writeup!!

Its is an 05

Comment

You know if someone has down how to throw in some HID's by removing the lights. Do you need to follow this then take the lights out. I dont wana have to mess with aligning the lights...

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                        I'm open to other ideas that'll make my car sick awesome super deluxe pro-friggin BOOYAH yo, as long as they're cheap.

Comment

You dont need to remove the front bumper but it will make it A LOT EASIER to get the headlights out and install HID ballasts

Comment

@evolutionox - thanks alot this should save me alot of stress

Comment

Those that have the AIT front bumper, this metal section across the front is a bit more modified, for fitting the AIT front bumper.....(Not sure if it's for the fog lights or the actual bumper, but there is some room needed. You've gotta cut out some notches to make room for it though)....which makes your G6 a truly "modified" car.

Very detailed write up, well done!
                              "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Working...
                              X