Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking the transmission fluid

well, how does one do it?? haha
    i asked the dealer today and he said that the G6 has a dipstick less transmission.
    SO, how are you supposed to check it??
    i have an 08 4cyl. sedan if that makes any difference.

Re: checking the transmission fluid

if its an automatic then you get your car on a flat surface, start it up, get underneath it with a 12mm ratchet and pull the check plug out of the side of the transmission, if fluid comes out its full, if nothing then its low and you add until it comes out the hole
    its might just be a family sedan, but girls love this car

Comment

Shouldn't the DIC report low trans fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by rollin20s
        if its an automatic then you get your car on a flat surface, start it up, get underneath it with a 12mm ratchet and pull the check plug out of the side of the transmission, if fluid comes out its full, if nothing then its low and you add until it comes out the hole
        You forgot to finish!

Then you take the car out for a test drive, then go to work or school for a week, then replace check plug.

There, now you have all the instructions. Wouldn't want ya leaving anything out that could possibly void ur warranty!

Blue Man Group Member NY Local 123

Comment

i knew this day would come

you will need an 11 mm wrench and a drain pan

first make sure the fluid is warm and park the vehicle on level ground

next you will have to get under your vehicle on the passenger side and undo the fluid plug
          which is near where the passenger side axle enters the trans
          number 65 in the picture

place the drain pan under the plug and with the vehicle running in park remove the plug with your 11mm wrench

fluid should come out or be at the level of the plug. if no fluid comes out add trans fluid until fluid comes out

let fluid drain until it is just a light trickle out of the hole and then reinstall plug

remove drain pan and clean your mess and your done

note all 06 and up GM vehicle require Dexron 6 ATF or equivelent. dexron 3 or its equivelent will casue damage to the trans in all 06+ vehicles. anything 05 or less thats GM can use dex 3 or dex 6 with no problems

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

i know how to change it, just asking how to CHECK it... i wasn't sure if it was totally necessary to crawl underneath or if it could be reached from up top (assumed you couldn't but ya never know...).
            thanks for covering all the bases though!

out of curiosity, are there any other cars out there that have gone over to dipstickless ?
            seems very inconvenient!

Comment

Originally posted by theartist
              i know how to change it, just asking how to CHECK it... i wasn't sure if it was totally necessary to crawl underneath or if it could be reached from up top (assumed you couldn't but ya never know...).

out of curiosity, are there any other cars out there that have gone over to dipstickless ?
              seems very inconvenient!
              Not to the dealer thats taking your money!

Comment

seems very inconvenient!

that is how to check it
                lots of cars are dip stickless
                some chryslers have dipsticktubes but theres a cover over them that says dealer use only and no dipstick installed so those you CANT check it

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

funny how we all said how to check it and somehow he confused it with us telling him how to change it

Comment

Originally posted by rollin20s
                    funny how we all said how to check it and somehow he confused it with us telling him how to change it

i misread the post w/ the engine diagram... a simple mistake, i just skimmed over it.
                    i'm clearly not the car enthusiast you are.

Comment

my bad dude i didnt mean to offend you, i was just picking fun, i apologize

Comment

some people just don't get sarcasm meant to be funnin'

Comment

my apologies as well... i frequent several different types of message boards and it seems there's always a wise ass who knows everything about everything.

it's all good

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn

seems very inconvenient!
                            lots of cars are dip stickless
                            thats not true at all. Plenty of new cars still have the dipstick. They moved it to directly behind the steering wheel.

Comment

Yeah. I hear that's how it is in the '05 G6 models, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X