• G6 engine overview and differences

Engine codes.
    LE5 - 2.4 Ecotec 2005 - 2009
    LX9 - 3500 Non VVT 2005 - 2006
    LZ4 - 3500 VVT 2007 - 2009
    LZ9 - 3900 VVT 2006 - 2007
    LY7 - 3.6 Dual Over Head Cam 2007 - 2009

I'll start with the easy ones.
    The LY7 (3.6 DOHC) is a Dual Over Head Cam engine, it shares nothing in common with the other V6’s with the exception of the 60 degree bank angle.

The LE5 is the 4 Cyl. engine that comes in the base.

Now the confusing ones.

The LX9 (3500 Non VVT) is based off the 3400 - 3100 - 3.1 - 2.8 which are all pushrod engines.

The LZ4 (3500 VVT) is a destroked LZ9 (3900 VVT) pushrod engine.

The LZ9 (3900 VVT) is a VVT pushrod engine.

The main difference in the block of the LZ's vs LX9 is, the LZ's block is offset by a total of 3MM to allow for a larger 99MM bore (same size bore of an LS1) vice the LX9's 94MM bore. Other differences include the LZ's having much larger valves, intake and exhaust port.

The LZ4 (3500 VVT) is a destroked LZ9 (3900 VVT) with a stroke of 76MM compared to the LZ9's 84MM's, it also has static intake manifold vice the variable intake of the LZ9.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Re: G6 engine overview and differences

Blackrider,

You seem to be a engine guy, so here is an engine question for you. Do you know if the 3.9 is built the same as the 5.3 V8 and if so, is some of the parts in the heads interchangeable. The reason for asking is, if they made some aftermarket roller rockers and push rods for the 5.3 maybe they will fit on the 3.9 to free up some horse power. I think we may be able to find some after market springs to work with it, but it's pointless to do all of that work without being able to build up the rest of the heads.

Thanks.
    Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

I'm not sure if the 5.3L rockers/spring will work, I doubt the rockers will. The springs out of the LS1/2/6 fit in the previous gens of the 60 degree V6's. The rockers in LZ9 are 1.7 which is already a step up from the LX9.
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

I know I'm ressurecting a dead post here, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, and I've searched for a long time.

What is the rocker ratio on the LZ4? Are there any higher ratio rockers out there that will bolt on? (i.e. stock LZ9 rockers?)

G6P Folding@Home Thread

Comment

Originally posted by miltonwaddums
          I know I'm ressurecting a dead post here, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for, and I've searched for a long time.

What is the rocker ratio on the LZ4? Are there any higher ratio rockers out there that will bolt on? (i.e. stock LZ9 rockers?)
          They're 1.7, the same as the LZ9. There are no aftermarket rockers avalable.
          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

FLASH BACK!!

Ummm.... you happen to know if My "2007" G6 has the VVT or not? How could I check myself. I DO NOT have an owner's manual. The reason I put 2007 in quotations, is because my G6 was a 2007 that was first sold in 2006 (not sure if that matters).

Thank you!

Comment

PM me your vin and Ill let you know.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
              4 door mafia
              93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
              8000k hid's
              Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
              Rotofab cai and radiator cover
              13.207@107.11
              330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

your too late i already told him lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

What is the % of drivetrain loss in a stock g6?
                  Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
                  JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

nevermind...

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
                    Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
                    Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

how do i know whether my car has vvt or not? i have the 2007 g6 gt

Comment

Originally posted by golferguy View Post
                        how do i know whether my car has vvt or not? i have the 2007 g6 gt
                        The 05-06 V6 and GT's have the non-VVT engine (LX9), 07+ V6 and GT's have the VVT engine (LZ4).

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Thank you for information sharing, it useful to me.

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

__________________________________________________ ____

coach outlet
                          coach handbags
                          coach factory outlet store

Comment

Originally posted by alex009 View Post
                            Thank you for information sharing, it useful to me.

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

__________________________________________________ ____

coach outlet
                            coach handbags
                            coach factory outlet store
                            Haha looks like alex009 is offering his non-approved vendor services in return for all the great information we have given him on the subject
                            CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

Oh and for some genuinely helpful info (such as that is):

Originally posted by killiger2009 View Post
                              What is the % of drivetrain loss in a stock g6?
                              Anecdotally gathered from the dyno threads here, approx. 18%
                              CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X