Steering Wheel Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Mod

I know there is a post on how to configure steering wheel controls, but that is not my question. I have a 3 spoke wheel without stereo controls on it. It is not leather wrapped and I want to get a leather wrapped one. The problem is, if I switch, will I have dead radio controls sitting there? I went to a dealership and he said they need reprogram the computer and run the wires and yadda yadda...$2000 later...which I think is bullshit and he doesnt know what he is talking about. 2nd part of this, if I cannot hook up the stereo controls, can I put my bezel from my old wheel on the new one? (Bezel = area where the controls would be..small silver coloured piece). I know you can take them off, but will it work fit on either wheel? Dealerships are not being very helpful at all...
    Black '06 G6 GTP Coupe - Stock for now!

tell you what.. from what I know this is what I would think.

A: He is right when it comes to the steering wheel radio controls not working (maybe) it's never been totally proven that if buying a steering wheel with radio controls for a car that didnt come with them that they would not work. You might plug all the wires in and the controls might work!

B: I see no reason why if the radio controls didnt work you couldnt take the bezel off the old wheel (w/o radio controls) and use it in the new wheel!!!!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Since you have a GTP model I am pretty sure the required wires for radio steering wheel controls are in the wiring harness from radio up to the steering wheel.

However I am not as sure if the "coil" assembly that "translates" the fixed wires running up to steering wheel to the rotating steering wheel has the necessary content in it or not.

If you were to get a whole new leather wheel with radio controls it will come with the wiring harness for these switches.

The dealer is right - there is a configuration for the radio that needs to be done to get the radio control switches to work correctly. This is because the same radio is used for 2005 and 2006 model and the 4 spoke and 3 spoke radio control switches work differently. I think the default configuration is still for the 2005 model and if the vehicle didn't have the option for radio controls I don't believe the assembly plant changes it from default configuration. Dealer would have to do that with his service tool - otherwise I think only 2 of the 5 buttons would work correctly.

It is pretty easy to look at the wiring going up to the coil assembly on back of steering wheel but requires pulling off the upper column cover (no tools required). With that out of the way you can see both wiring and the part number of the coil assembly which would tell you if coil supports the radio control wires

Comment

Now I dont even care about the stereo controls really. I am just curious is it is 100% if I can take off my right bezel, put it on the right bezel of the new one, then just have it like it is now but with leather?
        Black '06 G6 GTP Coupe - Stock for now!

Comment

I don't know but I'll ask someone who might. If I get answer I'll post back

Comment

I looked into this last October and November.
            According to the 3000 page manual:
            Your steering wheel controls (w/o UK3) on the left is a 4 way F Molex harness. The right is a 5 way.
            When you look at the harness that is a UK3 (leather w/radio controls) then the left is a 6 way and the right is a 7 way. Those extra wires are the steering wheels control signal and the remote radio signal. This is listed both under the cruise control (pages 11-7 and under Entertainment (page 11-119). Under the same area there is a paragraph that discusses how it works. Basically it assigns different resister values to commands on the radios end.

The UK3 is the leather steering wheel.
            No where in the service manuals does it mention it specifically.

Sooooooo you have a 4 left and a 5 right molex harness to operate your steering wheel which means that you cant swap them out without updating your harness to the 6 left and 7 right Molex Harness to the radio.

The weird thing is that it only shows one type of connector at the radio and that one is the 6 & 7.

In order to get to the radio you have 2 wires in the "instrument panel harness". These 2 wires run from radio to the other side of "coil assembly". The coil assembly is the way that circuits get up to the rotating steering wheel. Those wires just go into existing connector at coil assembly and radio.

If you have the satellite radio I understand that it is possible that you already have the upgraded wires there to support the leather wheel.

The only way to know for sure (as Pontiac didnt document and doesnt know) is to pull your steering wheel and look.

No big deal but remember your dealing with an airbag. I recommend letting a professional do it. Dealerships charge about $40 to take it off and about the same to put it back on.

It wasnt worth it to me just to see if it could be done. I didnt care that much about the radio controls but didnt want to kill my cruise so I just bought a Wheelskin. I baseball stitched it on and it looks and feels great.

If you go that route ask the seller for double stitching as they will give it to you for free at that time of order.

I know of only one person that made it work and he is gifted in electronics. He ran the wires himself. There was some resister issues and it took him quite some time to overcome/troubleshoot it. I think that is why Pontiac wants $2,000 to do it.

DO you have the satellite radio? If not then you have quite a few hurdles.
            If so then you have a chance that the wiring might be there.

If you dont care about having dead controls on your wheel then swapping them out is easy cheesy. But that doesnt make sense to kill your existing controls when you can just slap on a Wheelskin.

Sorry for the long reply.

Here is my leather wrap.
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

My leather wheel and all the wires and the 6 disc changer should be here any time. I will play with it and I will post back with the issues I run into.
              Originally posted by Nikki
              You are an e-pimp.
              Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
              I tried too, my penis way too big
              07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
              My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
              The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

I wish you/I lived closer I'd love to help on it.
                Are you installing the Monsoon stock 6 Disk in dash changer?

From what I understand you dont have to disconnect the airbag to remove the wheel. Just remove the bag from the wheel leaving it attached then slide your new one in-under, connect (if you can!!!) and bolt it together. The real cutter is what is under your bag.

So you dont have satellite radio eh? If not then the Molex harness
                may not fit up. Shoot...even if you did, it is a gamble at which one they threw in your car on the assembly line - but from what I understand your odds are better if you got the satellite radio.

Did you get the wires from the wheel to the coil AND the coil to the radio?

Oh well....let me know!!

After all this time I am still interested!
                Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Everything matched up with the steering wheel. Now the only problem I have is that the freakin ribbon in the coil rippe dloose and so I am trying to locate a new coil. The place i got the wheel said they broke the coil. I told them to send it anyways. I am sure I will be anle to fix it using both my parts and the parts they send. If not I am screwed. I can't find any coils anywhere else.
                  You are an e-pimp.
                  07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.

Comment

Got the coil in and I have the radio controls and they work fine.
                    You are an e-pimp.

Comment

dude that dash cover is just wrong...stops half way down the front of the dash

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                        dude that dash cover is just wrong...stops half way down the front of the dash
                        x2
                        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

x3... sry for bringing this old post back but....
                          My Progression

Comment

In his defense at least with my $.02 tossed in there... he lives in TX, I can't say I blame him for wanting to keep his dash in better shape from heat and sun. Yes it maynot be the most attractive thing but Im sure it helps over time.
                            Originally posted by Toyz
                            Originally posted by simplyred
                            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

damn noah you beat me to it. i can not imagine what the 100+ texas heat could do to an interior.. I don't know how they drive down there!!

but i guess that's just us NY'ers..

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Working...
                              X