Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you add onstar to a non-onstar equiped car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you add onstar to a non-onstar equiped car?

Hi all, i was recently thinking about it and decided that i want onstar. Is it possible to retrofit it into my 06?

Re: Can you add onstar to a non-onstar equiped car?

short and sweet no

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Yes and no, only can if the wireing harness for onstar is there. If there is no onstar wiring harness there there is no possible way.

Next, if there is you have to install the onstar eqipment IE the rear view mirror controls. Next you have to go to a dealership or a moden machanic to go into the BCM (Body control Modual) to turn on onstar from there. Next issue why I say dealer or a moden mechanic. Theres a chance the software needed in the BCM doesnt exsit in there, then you need them to upload the software on to the BCM to activate it. From there you get the serial numbers you need for onstar and call them up to activte it.

A dealership ussally charges 205 dollars last I checked to turn on any software from the BCM. If it comes back as software not accepted, then they ussally charge 500-600 extra depending on dealership to upload the BCM software for onstar. Thats why if you know a decent "modern" mecahnic he can do it all much cheaper and cut a flat rate as uplaoding the BCM software doesnt cost them anything, just a service as they already have it.

I know all of this as I have added cruise control on to vechiles before and onstar is the same class of software add on as cruise control is.

Originally posted by ahuhn
      short and sweet no
      yes you can if the wiring harness is there, it ussally is but in some random cases its not :P
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

actually the bcm has almost nothing to do with it. the onstar module (VCIM vehicle comunication interface module) does all the work. that module also has special id codes that onstar knows to identify the vehicle and owner.

so to install onstar you would have to install that module, the onstar antena the GPS antena, the rear view mirrior and then get the VCIM info to onstar (which a dealer has to do) all that was assuming the wiring harnesses were installed.

and i dont know if onstar will even accept the IDs off of a vehicle like that.
        there has to be a reason GM told dealers that onstar can not be added to a car that doesnt come equiped

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

also, somewhere along the line onstar does have to interface with the BCM/ECM because of remote diagnostics, automatic notification upon airbag deployment, etc. So to do that would also be additional work.

Then there's cutting the hole for, and mounting of, the antenna, adding in the mic, etc. The cost - if it were plausible - would be so exorbitant (and SO far above the $600 price tag to install it at assembly) you'd be better off just getting a new car with it already in there.

I think I read a while ago that sometime in the next few years onstar will be standard in all GM vehicles.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I ordered mine without. Now I don't think that was such a good idea.
            Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Originally posted by earlbaer
              Why, I think IMO for the most part its a waste of money.
              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
              Gotta have it Green color
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack
              GT500 track pack differential cover
              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                Originally posted by earlbaer
                Why, I think IMO for the most part its a waste of money.
                I used to feel the same. Then my dad got it in his 6 (he bought one of the first ones right off the showroom floor, didn't intend on getting it). I realized how valuable it was, and have it in mine. It has been truly an amazing thing to have in all of my accidents (yes, more than one, BUT NONE WERE MY FAULT! ).

I'll never own a car without it...
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I think on-star would be better if they offered some sort of money back thing if you never used it. It's like what, 200 a year, maybe get half back if you never have to use it. I'd get it then.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
                  Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Working...
                  X