2008 GM 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With Direct Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 GM 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With Direct Injection

Wow, I was reading in today's newspaper about the 08 CTS with the new 3.6L VVT. The newest 3.6L VVT has 304 HP and 370 ft-lb of torque! What an improvement from last year's 3.6L VVT. Looks like Cadillac only has this new 3.6L with direct injection techonlogy. I wonder if the new G8 will have this direct injected 3.6L VVT.

2008 GM 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With Direct Injection
    significant horsepower and torque increases
    dramatic hydrocarbon reductions
    improved fuel economy
    GM Powertrain announced today it will deliver a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection and variable valve timing (VVT) technologies in the 2008 model year. A vehicle application will be announced later in the year.

Additionally, it was forecast that by the end of 2008, GM will produce as many as 200,000 vehicles globally with direct injection technology, and by 2010, GM projects one out of every six GM vehicles in North America will be equipped with a direct injection engine.

The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267; an 8-percent increase in torque, and up to a 3-percent improvement in brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC). An approximate 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions is also achieved.

With direct injection, precisely metered fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber, which has a cooling effect in the chamber. Cooling the incoming air charge enables a higher compression ratio, which also improves engine efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional port injection combustion system.

“The 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection will be our highest specific output non-turbocharged V-6 engine, as well as one of the most fuel-efficient offerings in our high-feature family,” said Tim Cyrus, chief engineer for high feature V-6 and Northstar V-8 engines. “It’s the latest example of our strategy to continue to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy without sacrificing performance.”

This is GM’s third engine with gasoline direct injection. The announcement of the 3.6L VVT V-6 with direct injection comes on the heels of the introduction of GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter four-cylinder Turbo engine with direct injection on the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP roadsters. Also, since 2004, a naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter direct injection engine is equipped on Opel models in Europe.

How direct injection works

Direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional engine by delivering fuel directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. The combustion process of conventional fuel injected engines uses air and fuel that partially evaporates in the intake port or intake manifold prior to being introduced into the combustion chamber. Direct injection is a continuation of the evolutionary process of moving the fuel introduction point closer to the cylinder to improve control.

With the 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug.

The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports. The intake ports only transfer air, unlike port fuel injection, which flows air and fuel, thus increasing efficiency. D irect injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – greater than 11.0:1 in the case of the 3.6 – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

Re: 2008 GM 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With Direct Injection

The 3.6L and 3.6L are still different engines, both available at the same time on the CTS. I think it's exclusive to Cadillac for the first year, then they'll start putting it in other applications.

As for the G8, no it won't have it, at least now. Unless they start building them in Queensland. Holden doesn't source our engines here.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

We talked about this a little while ago, it maybe possible to swap it over to the G6 but would require the PCM, heads, injectors, intake manifold upper and lower, wiring harness, ect.

It possible to MAYBE see it in the future of the G6 when the parts are more readily avaible but due to engine bay restrictions it prob be more like 280-290 HP not the 304 seen in the CTS
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I have one in my CTS and its amazing. Loud, but amazing Its not going in the G8 or G6 but it is however going in some other global platforms next MY. It's NOT swappable into a G6, way to many things wont work IE fuel system controller arch. ect I do know it WAS talked about for the G6 MCE but I believe it was nixed due to extra cost.
        Chris White
        http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
        2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
        2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
        2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
        2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
        2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

umm it's 270 lb-ft not 370

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
          Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
          Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
          -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

They had the plain 3.6L VVT in the CTS in the 2006 MY I think if memory serves me right, a year before the G6 got it. Who knows, maybe in the 2009-2011 Redesign we might get it or a variant of it.
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
              They had the plain 3.6L VVT in the CTS in the 2006 MY I think if memory serves me right, a year before the G6 got it. Who knows, maybe in the 2009-2011 Redesign we might get it or a variant of it.
              Actually, the 3.6L first appeared on the 2004 CTS, as well as the 3.2L variant in the Alfa 159.
              <-- Gray G6? Click!
              2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
              2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
              Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello
                umm it's 270 lb-ft not 370
                You're right, I just checked and the stupid newspaper article got it wrong, it's 370 Nm or 277 ftlb of torque. The newspaper had 370 ft-lbs

Comment

Working...
                X