looking to buy a new g6, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy a new g6, thoughts?

I currently have a 2006 g6 gt coupe as my daily. 110k miles, runs like a champ never had an issue with it. im the 4th owner bought it with 54k on it. that being said the interior is in great shape (cloth seats) and the exterior is pretty good but front bumper has some wear and the driver quarter panel has some scratches. im hoping I can sell it for 5-5500. weird sh*t is starting to go wrong with my car, rear defroster doesn't work, remote doesn't work, my right rear brake for some reason chews thru the pad, its getting a ton of pressure being applied there or something im not really sure.. other than that tho the thing hasn't given me any problems and runs great

im looking at a black 2006 g6 gtp convertible. leather seats, interior is pretty mint, driver seat does show some wear. car has 63k on it. engine is clean as a whistle. rims have no curb rash at all, although RF has a very minor bend in it, pot hole im guessing. tires are in good shape. seems to have newer front rotors. paint is in great shape. the bad- this thing has no trunk space! the ugly- the passenger quarter panel, pretty big dent and scrape in front of rear tire,very bottom is starting to rust slightly. the thing is they are asking only 8k for it.. I saw I can get a quarter panel for about 500 used, I never replaced one of those, im very good with working on cars, actually redoing the front end of my trans am now.. but whats everyone think? worth the money? the kicker for me is its got 50k less miles on it.. ill try to get some pics up but they aren't that great its hard to tell on the phone and its dented to the point where im sure you have to replace the panel and its not just something you can repair. only other imperfection I found is right in front of the passenger door handle theres a tiny ding and scratch and the lower part of the front bumper passenger side had a small dent and scratch.

thanks fellas!

Re: looking to buy a new g6, thoughts?

If there isn't really anything wrong with your car now, why replace it? the brake problem could be a sticky caliper.. replacement front bumpers are less than $100 on ebay then about $150-$250 for paint.. take it to a body shop and they can repaint the entire car for less than what it would be to buy another one
    Current Mods: Window Tint 20% except front windshield, Black CCFL Eagle Eyes (Currently being Retrofitted w/ Quad Projectors, RGB Halos, RGB Demon Eyes, LED Turn Signals, Body Color Eyelid), Pioneer front speakers, Polk Audio 6x9, 2 Boss Audio Phantom 12" Subwoofers, Boss Audio Phantom 2600Watt Amplifier, Dual 12" non ported enclosure, GTP Wheels, LED interior and Exterior Conversion, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, Racingline MMI's, Plasti dipped black recessed upper and lower grills, Plasti Dipped black door handles, door trim, fuel door, Decepticon badges in place of GM door badges, 2009.5 Sedan Spoiler, Custom Side Exit Exhaust, GXP Rear Bumper, Canuck Lowering Springs (on their way)

Comment

Rear defroster : Sounds like a blown up fuse. Seems only a little problem.
      Remote : Replace its battery. If not working, eBay ! 15$ for a brand new one, sometimes two.
      Brakes : Like Wizard said, new calipers should fix the problem. I also recommand a PowerStop disks/pads kit. Not too much expensive and a better quality over the OEM brakes. I have those since a year and I'm really pleased with them.

My reccomandation : Personally, I would not get a G6 if it does not come with the 2.4L with 6 speed automatic or the 3.6L also with 6 speed automatic. Until you want a manual transmission, maybe then go with the 3.9L 6 speed manual. My principal concern with the convertible would be the roof system reliability. I don't really know about it, but still.

Comment

Please search the site for information on the 3900 (3.9L) issues as there is many issues. But the 2006 GTP engine is a terrible engine with head gasket issues and poor MPG for its power it provides especially in the convertible due to its weight. Plus the 3900 in the convertible is reduced from 240 HP in coupe to 220 HP with the same/ worse MPG. I had a 2006 G6 GTP coupe and it is the worse car I ever owned. The 3900 was only offered in GTP form in 2006. In 2007 the GTP went to the 3.6L. GM discontinued the 3900 as fast as they could in only 4 production years do to the MPG issues and its major head gasket issues that could not get resolved. My 3900 in the 6 years I had it went through 3 head gaskets (same head) and started leaking again with only 34K miles on it. Now mine isn't the normal but many other people have had major issues with that engine.

My advice, go to the 2007 GTP coupe with the 3.6L or the 2008-09 GXP. Unfortunately the convertible was never offered with anything but the 3900 or 3500. From I understand the 3500 feels really under powered in the car but I don't know you would need to test drive to see if it fits your power likeness.
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Dems tough decisions! I would probably, fix the issues, or rebuild the engine with more ponies from Milzy or someone else.

Comment

I think most GM engines throughout the years suffer from gasket issues (head gasket, manifold gasket, etc.). It might have to do with the Dex-cool antifreeze.
            I have owned a number of GM cars so now I just factor in the cost of periodic gasket replacements as part of the regular maintenance when I buy a GM vehicle.

Comment

I could care less about performance really, as long as it has a little bit of get up and go im happy. I have a mildly modded 01 trans am so these cars don't mean anything to me when it comes to that lol I heard that the mileage is worse. right now I get usually between 22 and 24 mpg on the 3600 (I do a lot of highway) as long as it stays at 20 or above I think I wont mind. I guess the VVT doesn't really help that much huh? I was considering replacing this car for the lower mileage mainly, plus I cant get squat for my car now, but the gtp I figured I can buy it fix it and drive it for a few years then sell it for minimum loss or sell it maybe even end of summer or next spring and maybe make some money on it (I live in ct so everything here is expensive lol)

on a side note ive had 3 GM cars, 98 grand prix gt, 01 trans am and the 06 g6 gt and never had any head gasket issues, plenty of other, especially electrical but never head gaskets so let hope that doesn't start. also back to the problems with my car, on the remote I have replaced that battery, twice.. no good. I thought about a new remote but don't you have to get it programmed and isn't that expensive? the brakes, I replaced the caliper rotor and pads last march or april, by I think November I had to replace the pads again. the defroster im sure its a fuse too, the hard part is finding out where it shorted out haha oh also both my right side rims are slightly bent, nothing major, but worse than the bend on the rim in the gtp, and I have a bubble in the sidewall of my rr tire... pot hole got me good last year

Comment

I could care less about performance really, as long as it has a little bit of get up and go im happy. I have a mildly modded 01 trans am so these cars don't mean anything to me when it comes to that lol I heard that the mileage is worse. right now I get usually between 22 and 24 mpg on the 3600 (I do a lot of highway) as long as it stays at 20 or above I think I wont mind. I guess the VVT doesn't really help that much huh? I was considering replacing this car for the lower mileage mainly, plus I cant get squat for my car now, but the gtp I figured I can buy it fix it and drive it for a few years then sell it for minimum loss or sell it maybe even end of summer or next spring and maybe make some money on it (I live in ct so everything here is expensive lol)

on a side note ive had 3 GM cars, 98 grand prix gt, 01 trans am and the 06 g6 gt and never had any head gasket issues, plenty of other, especially electrical but never head gaskets so let hope that doesn't start. also back to the problems with my car, on the remote I have replaced that battery, twice.. no good. I thought about a new remote but don't you have to get it programmed and isn't that expensive? the brakes, I replaced the caliper rotor and pads last march or april, by I think November I had to replace the pads again. the defroster im sure its a fuse too, the hard part is finding out where it shorted out haha oh also both my right side rims are slightly bent, nothing major, but worse than the bend on the rim in the gtp, and I have a bubble in the sidewall of my rr tire... pot hole got me good last year

Comment

Call a GM dealer and ask them the cost to reprogram the remote. I think it cost me about 40$ for mine if my memory is good. But I did the mistake of buying a new remote a the dealer (125$)...

Comment

Working...
                  X