Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows about the GMT800 platform? I'm getting a GMC Yukon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows about the GMT800 platform? I'm getting a GMC Yukon!

Hello again after 6 months!

I am preparing to buy a friend's black 2002 GMC Yukon 5.3L 2WD

Anyone know of some good foundation mods? My goal is to have an entertaining street machine without being too raucous. I plan on getting a few bolt ons, so that's easy -- just takes time and money. But is there anything I should know? Is there anything that's so stupidly easy that I can't afford not to do it?

Thanks!

My Progression Page: click here

Re: Who knows about the GMT800 platform? I'm getting a GMC Yukon!

There must be a turbo or S/C for a Yukon 5.3L. But it's probably expensive though.

Comment

Well, if I was planning on spending a lot of money:

First of all I wouldn't buy a Yukon, lol.
      Second, if I was going to sped a lot of money on a Yukon, I would probably drop in an E-Rod LS3. Easiest 430hp ever.

And yes, there seems to be a few options for supercharging. I'd like to keep it NA.

Comment

Depending on how many miles on it, I wouldn't do more then maintance maybe a tune. I had a 2002 5.7 vortex and it was a terrible engine with the dexacool eating intake manifold gaskets and lifter tap.
        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
        Gotta have it Green color
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack
        GT500 track pack differential cover
        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Most of my time on forums is spent on LS1tech and yellowbullet. Vortec engines LOOOOOVE boost and can handle a lot given the iron block. There are tons of turbo iron block 5.3 swaps in every car imaginable making 600-900rwhp. I've never been too concerned with trucks, so my specific knowledge is limited, but 4L60e isn't the strongest. However, with a cooler, shift kit, and aftermarket converter you would do alright as long as you don't go crazy on power. A good 3200-3600 usually picks up about half a second in the 1/4.
          From there longtube headers are one of the best bang for buck power adders for almost any LS based engine.
          The vortec intake manifolds are much taller and designed for torque over horsepower. Switch it out and you should pick up a bit of midrange-top end power. I'm not sure if the aluminum LS intakes direct swap onto the iron block motors, but look into it. LS6 and LS2 intakes can be had for cheap and make a pretty big difference over even LS1 versions (which itself would be an improvement over stock).

After that, get it dyno tuned and you'll pick up 50+rwhp.

Just do some research and decide what's best for you. It's a whole new world compared to G6s. Not only is there an actual aftermarket, but it's probably the biggest one there is.

Comment

Originally posted by dre256 View Post
            Depending on how many miles on it, I wouldn't do more then maintance maybe a tune. I had a 2002 5.7 vortex and it was a terrible engine with the dexacool eating intake manifold gaskets and lifter tap.
            This one has 174k miles, but I'm getting it from a reliable friend for a good price. This is a 5.3L, not a 5.7L I didn't know there were any vortec 5.7's left in '02?

Comment

Originally posted by l672lx9 View Post
              ...Just do some research and decide what's best for you. It's a whole new world compared to G6s. Not only is there an actual aftermarket, but it's probably the biggest one there is.
              My plans are pretty simple. I want daily driver reliability, slightly hotted up. Probably start with intake tube/ air filter and long tube headers/ exhaust. Then probably an off the shelf tune. I think that might keep me happy for a year or two while I'm paying it off. lol, I hope...

Comment

that will keep you happy and ls6 fast intake will gain you more top end power. then you can always look at a cam for it. run some electric fans and get rid of the fan and clutch assembly that will help a considerable amount thats alot of drag plus keeps it cooler. then the bollt ons you listed help alot
                Get out the way!

to many things to list and also change my mind way to much to actually tell people lol

Comment

So is it just me, or does nobody make catted long tube headers for this thing?

Also, is there any reason why I can't use GMT900 ('07+) exhaust or suspension parts on an '02? Seems like there's a lot of stuff available for '07 and after, but not so much for older vehicles. eh... I thought I knew something about trucks, but found out I don't...

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight View Post
                    So is it just me, or does nobody make catted long tube headers for this thing?
                    The answer is no. Nobody makes one.

So you can only have fun if you're willing to be environmentally unfriendly, or wish to cut up your new off-road y pipe. Seems stupid to me. I'll be skipping all headers for now...

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight View Post
                      This one has 174k miles, but I'm getting it from a reliable friend for a good price. This is a 5.3L, not a 5.7L I didn't know there were any vortec 5.7's left in '02?
                      I just looked, your correct the Yukon in 02 you can only get the 5.3L. My 2002 Savana still had the 5.7L vortex option. That 5.7L is one of the worse engines I ever had. Now I also had a 2007 express with the 4.8L vortex and I loved that engine. I would own another 4.8L vortex in a minute, only complaint was transmission and radiator started to leak a ton around 160K miles. But the engine was solid and never even tuned it up when I got rid of it at 160K miles with it still getting 13.5 in the city and 17 on the hwy. Same MPG as when I got it new.
                      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                      Gotta have it Green color
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack
                      GT500 track pack differential cover
                      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

4800 and 5300 Vortec share the same block. 4.8L has a shorter stroke, flat top pistons (instead of the dished in the 5.3L), and it never had any version of variable anything. However, the 4.8 does get 1-2 better MPG.

Comment

Trying to get better MPG in this truck is like asking an infant to file your taxes.

Also, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, my shocks finally stopped leaking hydraulic fluid. The bad news, now I find it difficult to keep it between the ditches on the highway. I wish we had a 4wheel parts around here...

Comment

get yourself some ranchos from your local parts store
                            Get out the way!

to many things to list and also change my mind way to much to actually tell people lol

Comment

I got a set of Bilstein's installed for a decent price. Definitely has made it ride nice.
                              I took the previous owner on a ride to the store and I think they had seller's remorse.

Comment

Working...
                              X