Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cruisin's Drift RX-8; 3800 SC Swap

Got the subframe painted up with some gloss enamel. Lets see how that lasts...

My buddy made a sweet adapter plate to fit the wilwood clutch master in the car, moved over the studs from the stock master, and added studs for the wilwood.

And here it is all bolted up together to test fit it.

While out the pedal was reinforced with some washer welded in as it was already cracking pretty badly.

Got that installed in the car and fits perfect.

Next I was trying to decide where to fit the wilwood balance block
    I think I may tuck it between the brake and clutch master, but forward so it's closer to the strut tower. Then I can make a bracket, keep it away from hot surfaces and make it easily accessible.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looks great! Well done.

Comment

Comment

As an RX8 owner (bought my 04 6 speed new), I applaud this type of work. It's a superb chassis, and a shame Mazda/Ford didn't use it for a more conventional sports car (other than cramped MX-5).
              Any RX8 that could be junked due to needed expensive work- use that chassis for a build!
              One thing I have pondered- GM's new LV3 4.3 V6. It's all aluminium pushrod 90 degree 4.3 V6 making 285/305 hp/lf-ft in stock form (297 hp on e85?). And that is a rather compact engine too- nothing like the huge OHC V6 engines. It being 90 degree may make the width an issue, but it just seems like a good engine to start with since all the same upgrades for the V8s work for this engine too, and they should be plentiful in junk yards soon enough as they seem to sell quite will in the trucks. I do wonder what manual tranny options there are.. but still, just an idea. The S/C 3800 is a good engine too, but it would be nice to start with something already making close to 300 hp in stock form. Sorry for the tangent, and good luck on your build.

*I had a G6 GT sedan rental once. I really liked that car- but the cruise control was really bad. You hit accel and nothing, nothing, nothing, kick down and sponge bob it! lol. The 3.5 did well on the mpg too.
              Last edited by BRealistic; 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BRealistic View Post
                As an RX8 owner (bought my 04 6 speed new), I applaud this type of work. It's a superb chassis, and a shame Mazda/Ford didn't use it for a more conventional sports car (other than cramped MX-5).
                Any RX8 that could be junked due to needed expensive work- use that chassis for a build!
                One thing I have pondered- GM's new LV3 4.3 V6. It's all aluminium pushrod 90 degree 4.3 V6 making 285/305 hp/lf-ft in stock form (297 hp on e85?). And that is a rather compact engine too- nothing like the huge OHC V6 engines. It being 90 degree may make the width an issue, but it just seems like a good engine to start with since all the same upgrades for the V8s work for this engine too, and they should be plentiful in junk yards soon enough as they seem to sell quite will in the trucks. I do wonder what manual tranny options there are.. but still, just an idea. The S/C 3800 is a good engine too, but it would be nice to start with something already making close to 300 hp in stock form. Sorry for the tangent, and good luck on your build.
                Oh I've considered the 4.3 also, Even older models. Primarily as I was thinking more and more displacement. But the 3800 is plentyful and pretty cheap, and hunting down the bell housing was a pain so I'm definitely going to use it.
                I don't know if I can bolt the 90 degree pattern to the solstice trans, I'd have to look for more bell housings but I'm sure it's doable, or just swap the trans.

3800 is also a 90 degree engine but it fits pretty well. Being a pushrod v6 the heads are fairly small. However they apparently don't flow very well. But it's nice that it has stronger internals as it was designed for boost from the factory. Since I'm going turbo from the start I should see close to 300 hp. My chassis is pretty well gutted so I'll have lightness on my side. My main concern now is weight distribution. I'm thinking I moved it forward a bit, but I'll weigh it once it's up and running and find out where I'm at. See if I can make any adjustments to zero in that 50/50

It's been decided that should anything happen to my car I'll just find another one with a blown engine and swap my drive train into it. I've considered doing a 4.3 build in the future as well. Just because it isn't an LS swap lol.

Comment

I've made some progress but forgot to post an update. So here ya go!
                  Decided it was time to move the project into the garage

Got the steering shaft finished, added a u-joint and just tacked it in to check fitment, It's good so I'll need to do a final weld on it.

So then I was able to get around to the test fit

Got the trans super far back and found I still had room to push the engine further back

It all seems to fit neatly in the bay, Pretty nice package. Still trying to decide how I want to handle the serp belt.

Comment

Looking great bud! I bet you still have fun even with waiting until next steps right? I know I would be happy just getting any steps completed on my own project vehicle.

Comment

There's just a lot to do to keep me busy. I'm working on building the exhaust manifolds while I'm waiting on the driveshaft jig to get built at a local machine shop.
                      Once I get that jig in place I can get my engine mounts in place and finally get it situated. At least at the engine.

I'll snap more pics and get to updating

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

I acquired the parts and dropped them off at a local machine shop to get my driveshaft jig made. While that was being done I began working on my exhaust manifolds.
                        To keep cost down I went to a local metal supply shop and got some hand rail tubing and elbows. Not ideal but the ID and price make it almost perfect for my build.
                        I also dropped the $40 on a harbor freight tubing notcher, Modified that according to a youtube video and got pretty decent results.
                        For my first try at fabbing a manifold I think it came out fairly decent.

The bottom log is just set in place for the pic

I haven't decided if I want to mig it all or have someone tig it all for me. Either way I'm planning on getting the manifolds ceramic coated to help hood temps and thwart corrosion.

The driveshaft jig got made and I began drilling the holes at one end for the flange.
                        I can use this to line my trans up with the diff. This should put my engine exactly where it needs to be so I can get my engine mounts going and settle everything in place.

Comment

You did some nice progress!

I have to say I'm surprised how compact is the engine. Or maybe how roomy is the engine bay.

Comment

Made up a little bracket to hold the wilwood proportioning valve and a couple of mounts to clip a couple of custom hoses I had made to feed the block.
                            I later got the end changed with a 90 degree fitting.
                            I plan to make little 180 degree bends to go from the clipped in hoses to the block.

Comment

Got the brakes a little closer to finishing. Re-flared the rear lines and brought them as close as I could to the block.
                              Then made a bracket for the T and caught a stud with it to hold everything from vibrating.
                              I then made a short hard line piece to feed it, but it was brought to my attention that it could crack so I'll be getting a hose made for it.

Ordered some 14mm aluminum rod from McMaster Carr and chopped up 6 little chunks to fill in the injector holes.
                              I'm going to throw a few bucks towards a friend to tig them into place sealing everything up nicely, Just need to get the LIM Sand blasted to match the Upper.

Most likely going to get the Upper powder coated

Comment

Doing some nice work there Cruisin.
                                That could save you a bunch of aggravation down the road.
                                Current Mods
                                245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
                                Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

Working...
                                X