Interior LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior LED

Hi, after looking through the How-To section and Interior Modification, I couldn't find any installation info on how to change the dome, map, and sunvisor lights to LED. So I just have a couple of quick questions. What LED should I use for each of the components, dome light, map light, and sunvisor mirror? And also how much power is going to these places (to calculate the resistor size).

Re: Interior LED

They all use up to 12 volts. 9 at a minimum. Just wire up and go.

Comment

Does this look right? As for sizes. 2 of them have a 9-14V tolerance and the other is 10-30V.

1 - Dome
      2 - Map Lights
      4 - Sunvisor Lights

Comment

Dome - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...toon/244/1165/

Don't remember the resistor size I used, sorry.

Map Lights - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-base/206/919/

Order an extra and you can replace your license plate lights

Trunk light - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...toon/237/1123/

Vanity mirror lights - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/227/

Pry open the metal holders just a smidge and push the LED further down into the socket than the regular bulbs otherwise they will fall out.

Comment

Perfect, thanks!! One last question, did you use a resistor on all of this to stop the glowing? If so, what size should be enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Maty View Post
            Perfect, thanks!! One last question, did you use a resistor on all of this to stop the glowing? If so, what size should be enough?
            I did use one. Not sure on the size, but I could probably find out. Was super easy to do, just wrap the two end around each prong of the socket and then install the bulb as normal. No glowing.

***edit***

Ok, couldn't find the rest of the ones I bought as it came in a package of 6 IIRC. Also couldn't find the post I searched and searched and searched for back when I was trying to find the answer. So i just went out and took a picture of what I have. The resistor is about the size of a grain of rice and is colored brown, blue, red, gold. Get that and it should be the right one. BTW, I got them from RadioShack.

Also, I misspoke and said to put the resistor in first. Install the bulb and then wrap the ends of the resistor around the prongs. Like so...

Going on a year with no glowing or signs of it getting too hot from using the wrong resistor.

Lastly, when changing this out, take off the cover as a whole. Then, when it comes time to re-install the cover, take out the clear lens piece first. Put the gray part back on and then pop the clear lens back in. It took me embarrassingly too long to figure this out after pushing and pushing and pushing the cover into the headliner, trying to get it to snap into place.
            Last edited by slowsedan; 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Alright sweet! This will definitely make the process a whole easier now that I can look at it. Just got all of the LEDs today, excited to get started. Thank you so much again!!

As for the resistor, brown=1, blue=6, red=2, and gold= +/- 5% (tolerance). So the second to last color is your multiplier. This specific resistor would be, 16 * 10^2(raised to the power of 2 because of the red, so 1.6k ohms +/- 5% tolerance. 99% of the times it will end with gold(5%) or silver(10%), so you start from the other end. That's how they label resistors, so that info was good!

Comment

I installed Leds in map lights dome light and trunk. My whole driveway lights up at night. Along with the red led strips I have lighting up the front floors when I unlock the car and open the doors I'm pretty happy. It's been fun playing

Comment

Working...
                X