Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brembo: How To & Parts

All,

I have done my research and did the complete 4 wheel switch. I made up this document as a help document to aide those who are looking to convert. I can send it to whoever wants it. Just email fedwik@hotmail.com. Hope it helps:

2008-2010 Cobalt SS Brake Conversion on a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP

Front Installation Notes:
    The biggest issue with the Brembos on a G6 is making sure they clear the rims. I know some G6 inch rims clear but I have no idea what ones. The factory 18 inch GTP rims do not clear as the caliper sticks out 0.7mm further than the back side of the spokes. A 3mm spacer is required although I know some people use 5mm spacers. With 5mm spacers you only get about 3 threads vs. 7 for stock wheels from what I can tell. The 1/8” or 3mm spacers should get you 5 threads which are 98% of the stud holding capacity I have been told, so it should be OK. It also gives you 2.5 mm space between the caliper and the wheel. Also with 3mm spacers, you get about 1mm of hub to wheel contact for centering which should be adequate.

Stock front brake lines work just fine, no change required. If switching to stainless steel brake lines, you may lose the front brake line bracket. It can be swapped over, but I noticed with wheel travel and turning, the bend radius can get pretty sharp with the stock bracket being used.

*Note: See Brake Line Section for Details About Front Brake Lines if Using Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

The stock G6 caliper retaining bolts work just fine with the Brembo calipers for bolting to the spindle. No change is needed. Also note that when installing the pads and pins for the Brembo calipers, you need to install the pins from the inside holes on the back side of the caliper outwards with the split retainer “ball” on the end of the pin towards the center of the car. The pointy end of the pin should point outwards. You will need to use a brass drift and a hammer to gently seat the pins until the “ball” snaps into a recessed hole in the caliper. The back of the pin will now be flush with the caliper body. This way the pins are fully retained.

Front Conversion Parts:

Front Conversion Parts List: - All GM PN’s given – Can source through aftermarket as I have a lot of luck with Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) or EBay
    * Left Brembo caliper - 25900763
    * Right Brembo caliper - 25900764
    * Front Caliper Guide Pin Kit – 25900781 - *Note: 2 sets required
    * Front Rotor – 15893541 - *Note: 2 sets required
    * Front Pad Kit – 25808929

Rear Installation Notes:

The rear is also a bolt on but requires more stuff to bolt on. You will need to either modify or remove the rear dust shields which are held in place between the wheel hub assembly and the aluminum spindle. Aside from the calipers, rotors, and pads, you would need the stock rear brake lines modified or go with custom stainless steel braided lines. The Cobalt SS rear brake lines are too short to be utilized as they are only 8.5” long.

If you are buying new calipers, remember they DO NOT come with the caliper brackets. This is a crucial watch-out and 2 are required for installation. They are only available from GM as they only were sold for the 2008-10 Cobalt SS’s so the aftermarket does not support them. I strongly recommend Crate Engine Depot (www.crateenginedepot.com) for procuring these or any of the other required GM parts.

*Note: See Brake Line Section for Details About Front Brake Lines if Using Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

Also, the e-brake setup is different, but everything swaps over just fine.

Rear Conversion Parts:

Rear Conversion Parts List: - All GM PN’s given – Can source through aftermarket as I have a lot of luck with Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) or EBay
    * Left Caliper: 25902073 - *Note: 2008 Solstice GXP rear pads will fit
    * Right Caliper: 25902074 - *Note: 2008 Solstice GXP rear pads will fit
    * Caliper Bracket: 25869424 - *Note: You must get this through GM dealer – No aftermarket support – Only used on 2008-2010 Cobalt SS – Will work for either side – 2 required.
    * Caliper Guide Pins: - 18034477 - *Note: 2 sets required
    * Rear Rotor: 15921402 - *Note: 2 sets required
    * Left Brake Line: 22720042 - Option to go to stainless steel braided lines – Note: SS calipers require a 12mm x 1.0 banjo bolts. Stock G6 rear calipers use 10mm banjo bolts. – Stock lines can have the end drilled out to ½” or 13mm and filed the end to fit.
    * Right Brake Line: 22720042 - Option to go to stainless steel braided lines – Note: SS calipers require a 12mm x 1.0 banjo bolts. Stock G6 rear calipers use 10mm banjo bolts. – Stock lines can have the end drilled out to ½” or 13mm and filed the end to fit.

*Note: If buying new calipers, you will need 2 new 12mm x 1.0 banjo bolts. They DO NOT come with the calipers.

Brake Line Installation & Parts Notes:
    Remember this is because of the difference in the banjo bolt size for the rear caliper. You could also just buy the bigger banjo bolt and drill the stock lines out to ½” or 13mm and file the end of the banjo fitting to fit the recess in the caliper. The front stock brake lines work just fine, so no change is needed.

The stock lines for the G6 are the following specs:

Front – 15” Long with 10mm Banjo (straight, no bend) and a 10mm x 1.0 inverted female flare.
    Rear – 13.75” Long with 12mm Banjo (30-45 degree bend) and a 10mm 1.0 inverted female flare.

*Note: 2008-2010 Cobalt SS rear brake lines are 8.5” long and too short to be used on the G6.

This is why I chose to get 14” long lines. You can also go ahead and get 16” long line and give yourself a little extra length.

You can get a kit made from BMD Performance (www.bmdperformance.com) or make them up utilizing the following components from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) or similar:

* Russell Performance – R4058C – 12mm Banjo w/ 35 degree – 3AN Male – 2 required – In question Will verify and update with new PN.
    * Fragola Performance Systems – 650202 – 10mm x 1.0 Inverted Flare Female – 3AN Male – 4 required
    * Russell Performance – R4047C – 10 mm Banjo Straight – 3AN Male – 2 required
    * Summit Racing – SUM-220303 – 14” Braided SS Brake Line – 3AN Female – 4 required

If you purchase them from BMD Performance, make sure you tell them you are converting all four wheels to the Cobalt SS brakes so they get the right banjo fittings installed in the rear.

*Note: With the Summit Racing line setup, the stock frame brackets for holding the stationary end of each flexible line will need to be enlarged one step to 5/8” (.625”) to allow the fitting to slide up high enough to use an ordinary brake line retaining clip that look like a horse shoe.

Cory
    Last edited by 06 GTP; 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM.

Re: Brembo: How To & Parts

Nice write up about how much longer would you say this takes on install than a normal caliper and rotor replacement would

Comment

The additional time wouldn't really be much more than a standard brake job other than the following:

- Removal and reinstallation of calipers and lines.
      - Re-bleeding of the brake system.
      - Removal of the rear wheel bearing assemblies (4 Nuts to remove) in order to remove rear dust shields.
      - Potential of drilling out the frame brake line brackets if going to aftermarket braided SS lines.

Depending on how fast you work, figure an additional 1-2 hours overall if you have all the stuff together. I got stuck due to some misleading information out there on this swap, which is why I created the above information. Just trying to keep people from getting caught off guard and waiting for parts.....

Cory

Comment

Lots of great info in here, kudos!

Not sure if the brake line you used has vinyl sheathed over the braid, but if its used on the street then I would definitely switch make sure it does. I only use stainless sheathed in vinyl on the lines I sell since dirt can work its way under the braid if there's not and the grind the line underneath until it leaks... Also watch out since the brake lines are 3 pieces each instead of 1 piece like I have, those fittings have no retaining clips on them so they might work their way loose as the lines twist and move with the wheel then start to leak... Just a few things to watch out for and keep an eye on for safety's sake, other wise great job with the ingenuity!
        Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Originally posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
          Lots of great info in here, kudos!

Not sure if the brake line you used has vinyl sheathed over the braid, but if its used on the street then I would definitely switch make sure it does. I only use stainless sheathed in vinyl on the lines I sell since dirt can work its way under the braid if there's not and the grind the line underneath until it leaks... Also watch out since the brake lines are 3 pieces each instead of 1 piece like I have, those fittings have no retaining clips on them so they might work their way loose as the lines twist and move with the wheel then start to leak... Just a few things to watch out for and keep an eye on for safety's sake, other wise great job with the ingenuity!
          You're right the lines I have used are not coated. I personally have not had concern with the reason you gave, but it is what it is. As far as you concern about the retention method, that is why I mentioned enlarging the mounting bracket holes to 5/8" and using the standard spring loaded "horseshoe" clips that most older GM and Ford vehicles use. This retains the lines quite well. As far as three piece, obviously there is the potential for each connection to be a leak point, but AN fitting are quite good at sealing once assembled. So I have no issue with them. Too each their own!

Cory

Comment

I'm in the market for front cobalt ss brembo brakes, and I saw a kit that converts non brembo brake coobalts to use the 2008 cobalt brembo brakes for about $700. I saw it was a zzp kit and I visited the zzp website and found the same kit for $600 though I don't know what shipping will be but I'll find that out later. Heres the link:
            The largest supplier of aftermarket performance parts for 3800, Ecotec, Sonic/Cruze, and ATS vehicle platforms. We engineer unique parts in house that you won't find anywhere else!

But my real question is about what I found next... I came across a 14.5 inch brembo brake upgrade kit for the cobalt ss that looks to have come off a 2007 Cadillac cts-v. They look identical to the ones that are currently on my moms car. This got me wondering, whats keeping me from installing the 14.5 inch brakes over the 12.25 inch brakes? I do know that the 14.5 inch brakes do not come with the wheel bearing spacers and the banjo bolts, which i could probably special order along with the brakes, and the I would have to try and get stainless brake lines that are longer(Correct me if I'm wrong but I've herd that 15" is ideal)
            Link:
            The largest supplier of aftermarket performance parts for 3800, Ecotec, Sonic/Cruze, and ATS vehicle platforms. We engineer unique parts in house that you won't find anywhere else!
            Last edited by OneBadAzzG6; 07-16-2015, 03:05 PM.
            Black 2007 G6 GTP six speed 66,000 miles. Mods: Carbon fiber GT spoiler with seven inch brackets; 25mm wheel spacers; Chrome ebay intake with black couplers: Red led interior lights; Painted front grille with chrome strips; Muffler delete; Painted headlights with eyebrows; 4 55 watt 6000k hid lights from the retrofitsource; projectors with super bright red cob led halo rings; Altezza tail lights; Front Splitter; front canards; rear diffuser; eibach lowering springs; racingline strut tower bar. Future mods: Front Cobalt as brembo brakes; 19x10 inch wheels; fender flares; 10% window tint; make my own carbon fiber hood to look like the vis racing hoods; Reshape the rear trunklid to look smoother and add a sportier looking rear lip; Painted mirrors; Protean in wheel electric motors in the rear wheels.

G6 is now for sale! $7000

progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25701

If its possible I can do it, if it isn't I will try.

Comment

Looked at the ZZP CTS-V kit and it seems like all you have to worry about is spoke fitment with spacers. I dunno, I'm just not buying it that those calipers bolt right up to our knuckle without modification or a bracket. I'd have to see it successfully done. Also I trust the quality of the stock Cobalt Brembo rotors over the ZZP kit until they state where and who made them. The fact that they have "universal lugs" always screams cheap to me.

If they offer a money back guarantee, give it a shot. 14.5 inch brakes on a G6 would be badass, but I'd wanna make sure I could return them before forking over the cash.
              Last edited by slowsedan; 07-16-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I contacted zzp and they said both kits are direct fit bolt on for the Cobalt, I'd just have to get the wheel bearing spacers separate but its no big deal. With 1 inch spacers I think I should have enough space. I'm probably going to ask for more information but I'm definitely planning on trying them out.
                Black 2007 G6 GTP six speed 66,000 miles. Mods: Carbon fiber GT spoiler with seven inch brackets; 25mm wheel spacers; Chrome ebay intake with black couplers: Red led interior lights; Painted front grille with chrome strips; Muffler delete; Painted headlights with eyebrows; 4 55 watt 6000k hid lights from the retrofitsource; projectors with super bright red cob led halo rings; Altezza tail lights; Front Splitter; front canards; rear diffuser; eibach lowering springs; racingline strut tower bar. Future mods: Front Cobalt as brembo brakes; 19x10 inch wheels; fender flares; 10% window tint; make my own carbon fiber hood to look like the vis racing hoods; Reshape the rear trunklid to look smoother and add a sportier looking rear lip; Painted mirrors; Protean in wheel electric motors in the rear wheels.

G6 is now for sale! $7000

progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25701

If its possible I can do it, if it isn't I will try.

Comment

Working...
                X