Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber: Alternatives....

Hey guys,

does anyone here know if there is a bolt that can be replaced with a more adjustable toe bolt from a different car on the G6 in the rear?

Curious because I found a 12mm rear toe bolt for the Cobalt and I'm wondering if it will fit for our cars?

I know this is getting into the realm of custom tuning, but aren't we all on the verge of sanity anyways :P

or

or

these seem the most promising....

Last edited by Deathmage; 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM.
    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Re: Chamber: Alternatives....

Hey guys,

follow-up: I just talked to a guy over at Ingalls Engineering in CA and he told me it's possible if there isn't a bolt for them to make one for the G6. Nothing is rock solid just yet, but as a selling point for them If we were able to get one made would there be a demand on here for a rear chamber bolt?

I'm reaching out to a few companies that make custom chamber kits, I'm determined to find a solution other than damaging shims.

he said the range that would be possible is +/- 2.0 full degree's.... which is awesome!!!!

Reply to this message if there is, might help seal the deal.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 03-09-2014, 10:48 AM.
    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Comment

How are the shims damaging?

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Originally posted by black07g6gtp View Post
        How are the shims damaging?
        basically what is bad about them is they make the rotor push out with causes the rear caliper to become tweaked when pressure on the pads are apply. Since one side will have more press on the pad than the other when the pads are applied it will make one side work more than the other and thus cause breakdown and heat to build-up in the caliper housing. Over time this can cause the piston to fail, not to mention uneven pad wear. You also have to watch the spacing between the rotor at the caliper housing that bolts to the hub, the U shaped piece that hugs the caliper like a upside-down U, if the rotors hits that at ay point it will cause the rotors to bind.

Now I'm not saying this will always happen but if you hit a pothole or knock your alignment out and the rotor moves even a hair it can cause the U part of the caliper to rub on the rotors thus causing it to bind.

Like me I had to sand down .5mm of the U on one side so that shims had clearance with the spacers applied on both sides in the rear..

Comment

I'd buy a kit...
          CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

you may need to create new toe link cam bolts along with the camber cam bolts...

having looked into creating adjustable upper rear control arms and adjustable toe links.. this seems like a good idea, just thought the cam bolt was stretched pretty far as it was..

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

We shall see. Saturday I'm taking it to a alignment shop and one of the guys said they will probably have ot offset the brake calipers a bit with a washer to adjust for the offset of the shims pushing out the rotors. But I'm also getting measurements on Saturday for the dimensions of the eccentric washer and see if Ingalls Engineering can make a washer that has the bolt hole a bit more to the outside for more camber play....

we shall see... I'm determined to get my rear's to at-least -1.5 on both side with 19mm spacers. I want some camber for cornering but not excessive.

Comment

From what I understand, the reason this has never been done before is because the concentric washer is already crammed in a corner and there is very little to work with. I could very possibly be wrong, however.

In addition: I also run hub shims, and one thing you have to look out for is that you don't rub the ABS sensor housing. It could be bad if it broke...

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

The lower control arm has an eccentric bolt for camber. What if you add one to the upper link?
                  Pull the bottom in as you push the top out.

Comment

The top is what needs to come out.. as does the toe link..

This has given me some new ideas on how to get this to work out.. it appears the current eccentric washers (and their aligners) would not quite work for what we are wanting.. however.. I'm going to come up with a few more ideas on how to fix that.. should be much cheaper than how I was originally going to fix the problem..

SOOO... new cam bolts will require new adjustment plates that WILL require welding..

I will work on one of the two solutions:

Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms and Adjustable Rear Tow Links

OR

New Cam Bolts and Adjustment Plates
                    Last edited by cmessick; 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

brought the car to a proper alignment shop that does nothing but alignments.... this is probably the best I'm going to get. still baffled why the right is still so off.

What could be bend that could make that off by so much?

now I can put the spacers back on in the rear. I didn't want to eat my tires alive with the chamber and wider stance.

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
                        The top is what needs to come out.. as does the toe link..

This has given me some new ideas on how to get this to work out.. it appears the current eccentric washers (and their aligners) would not quite work for what we are wanting.. however.. I'm going to come up with a few more ideas on how to fix that.. should be much cheaper than how I was originally going to fix the problem..

SOOO... new cam bolts will require new adjustment plates that WILL require welding..

I will work on one of the two solutions:

Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms and Adjustable Rear Tow Links

OR

New Cam Bolts and Adjustment Plates
                        Well if you want Cade, Ingalls Engineering is in your state; it's probably quite a bit closer than for me to drive there, lol! - the guy I talked to said they could make us something...

something else to consider is perhaps finding a 'offset bushing' for the upper and lower control arm in the rear. The shop I was at yesterday the alignment guy has been doing it for 35 years and he knows his angles well probably why it got so good. He said a offset bushing would do the trick, the question is getting one made or reverse engineered. I'm sure a selling point would be a ton of people would buy them...

Comment

Ingalls is in COLORADO.. I'm just about as far as you are from there

I can get anything made.. thats not the problem.. its having a sufficient number of people interested in the initial product.. I don't have the capital to invest in the solution, but I have the manufacturing and design aspects under my wing as well as a large number of fab shops to get it done..

I don't think this would take much to get back into shape, just need the cash and the parts to do it..

I can tell you, the offset bushing could be difficult to align proper
                          Last edited by cmessick; 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
                            brought the car to a proper alignment shop that does nothing but alignments.... this is probably the best I'm going to get. still baffled why the right is still so off.

What could be bend that could make that off by so much?

now I can put the spacers back on in the rear. I didn't want to eat my tires alive with the chamber and wider stance.

Jeez. The best my rears could get was -3.7 degrees lol

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
                              Jeez. The best my rears could get was -3.7 degrees lol
                              holy molley 3.7! - you must eat tires!

Comment

Working...
                              X